Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / My Gate Revisited
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-27-2013 14:43
The gate I posted pictures of months ago leaned up against a wall has been installed since the beginning of December. Issues with the power company, the electrician having "bigger jobs that are more important" and other things delayed the actual operation of the gates. During my time as a tower monkey they got it all wired in and construction debris cleaned up so it did not look like a bomb went off. Thought I'd share the completed pics.

Shawn
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-27-2013 16:42
Nice looking gate.

Marshall, did you look at this?

Al
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 02-27-2013 17:37 Edited 02-27-2013 17:41

Al

Are you asking me or another Marshall?

I saw it and was thinking of responding to Shawn.

But didn't.

I was going to say nice gate, but I would have tried to even it more at the top,(maybe due to camera angle but it appears right side is 3/16" higher).

So I refrained. LoL

Seriously good looking Gate Shawn

Marshall

PS

Thanks Al the last reply I made bumped me up to 4 stars. (RLMAON)
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-27-2013 18:34
:lol::lol:

Yeah, that little bit of offset. I don't think it's the angle but the gate operators. Gates were identical off the shelf sort of speak but the operators are set in the driveway so they have no arms, mechanical linkage. The gates sit on the operator so if they were a little off on the height I'd say thats where my offset came from. I was shocked at the gap we have between the gates. It's about 1/4"! My friend the gate automation guy moved the boxes in a smidge and when we set the gates we were nervous they would hit. We sat there and watched them operate and you can't even hear the motor for the gate operators. Quiet country road and they just silently move. No clanging from mechanical arms, linkage and no ugly hardware hanging off the inside of the gate to take away from the gates themselves.

The 3/16" bothers me, client is tickled to death and with the friends they have coming in and out of there due to their occupations I look forward to future clients. This color powder coat is going to be a pain though. No touch up paint available and cannot be made so any dings, scratches they get will be nearly impossible to repair and have it look right. Next time I'll push my way in more on the setting of the operators so I can apply my analness to the precision! :lol::lol:

Thanks for the comments!! Will try harder on that 3/16"!!! :lol::lol:
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 03-01-2013 01:04
Cummins, Looks good ,don't you wish you could do about 100 like that????/:eek::eek::eek: $$$$$$$$$:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-01-2013 03:57 Edited 03-03-2013 00:06
3/16" higher.................really? 

I have built a custom gate or two in my days.  I look at how smooth the fabrication work is...looks like one damm piece.  The finish is lacking any blemishes or flaws. The gap between the two is perfect bottom to top....I am sure Shawn designed it...pretty artful and ambitious with the budget given and well fabricated.....a lot of people would have cheapened it up or cut corners on the quality somewhere.   Since it has post hidden actuators I bet it was a ***** to set.  Good job Shawn...really I could not have done better on my very best day.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-27-2013 16:48
Shawn that is a nice(impressive) entrance to your mansion...gate looks great IMHO.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-27-2013 16:56
Wish it was my place!! :lol::lol: They have a house in the back(guest house) as big as my hovel I live in everyday!! Great client though, real nice folks.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-27-2013 17:53
Marshall, didn't you compete on the DIU Channel where you had to build a gate that got smashed by a wreaking ball?

You might be right, I may be thinking of someone else.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 02-27-2013 18:04

Al

No it was Metarinka (Joel)

(NIARLMAO)

Have a Great Day

Marshall
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-27-2013 18:10
That's right, now I remember. How did I confuse you with Joel? Silly me!

I remember watching the episode on the internet link someone provided. Poor Joel didn't stand a chance with that small GMAW machine they gave him.

Al
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-28-2013 03:18
Looks good.
Parent - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 03-02-2013 21:29
That is one sweet looking gate!
- - By Dualie (***) Date 03-01-2013 04:19
there is a company that makes RIDICULOUSLY overpriced touch up spray paint for powder coat finishes,  stuff is like $60 a can but i have some that matched a rootbeer brown metallic powder coat that was an absolutely perfect match.   My powder coater got it for me.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-01-2013 18:18 Edited 03-01-2013 18:24
Yeah, the company is called Orbit out of Lubbock, Tx. They cannot match this powder color. I called and asked and they told me if I found somebody that could do it to let them know who it was. The cost of the paint to custom make is a minimum order of 12 cans I believe. Ordering standard colors runs about $15 dollars or so for a spray can, not a bad price. I've got several cans in the office, metallics, whites, blacks for the basic colors but this gate was a custom made color for a country music giant. Our powder coater had left overs and my client liked the color. We actually called it xxxxxxxx powder color(singers last name) as we did not know the technical name.

The pictures don't do this color justice. You would have to see it in real life and walk around it on a sunny day to appreciate it. Greens, browns, bronze just an amazing color but also expensive as heck. I guess this is why I like doing jobs like this. They have the money to let your imagination run wild and you can let the creative side roam free. Some clients want you to go crazy until they get the price. I've got books full of my designs made for clients that fell over once they got the price.

That Orbit paint though is excellent. Got some flat black for a clients rail and did some touch up 6 months later and it matched perfectly.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 03-02-2013 04:38
Doesn't looked welded, it's to perfect.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / My Gate Revisited