Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CONTRACT RATE?
- - By JONMBALL Date 02-28-2013 00:47
I've been doing CWI work for past 12 years on oil and gas products, also cert.'s for MT, PT, and previously UT Shearwave. What is prevailing wage for straight contract in Houston area?
Parent - By Len Andersen (***) Date 02-28-2013 16:14
JONMBALL,
        I am a graduate engineer with CWI qualification who worked in Houston. You might get a hold of directory or telephone book from Houston, make calls and ask employer’s range of "wage for straight contract". I am not sure what you mean on "wage for straight contract". My guess is before you get good info they would want to see your face. The Houston AWS section has well attended meetings where you can meet people and get good info. I hope this is helpful.
                      Sincerely
Len Andersen weld@spemail.org
               914-536-7101   / 212-839-6599     8-4 New York Time , 4042 FAX , Co-worker 6381 / 914-237-7689 (H)
POB 1529 / NYC 10116-1529 ( $1100 per year Caller Box GPO NYC / Most Secure Service At Largest Post Office )
                       www.lenandersen.com
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 02-28-2013 17:17 Edited 03-19-2014 22:25
Try running some salary surveys at simplyhired.com, careerbuilder.com, and indeed.com.  Then too there is salary.com.   You probably won't find any 1099 data, but if you go to IRS.gov you can find out your rate for self employment taxes.  My 1099 rate needs to be at least 1.15 times my W2 rate to make up the difference.  If you want benefits, then add another $5 an hour at least.  At the gov't sites look for the Medicare tax rate, and the Social Security Tax rate.  I don't think contractors have to pay for unemployment insurance, because 1099 work will not establish eligibiity to collect when the contract is done.  Hope this helps.  There are also cost of living comparison websites that can compare city A to city B if you happen to find CWI rates posted for other cities.

You might try Airenergi LLC.  They are an exclusive staffing firm for the oil industry.  They will treat you right and may have some CWI rate quotes.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CONTRACT RATE?