Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller Multimatic 200
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-09-2013 19:21
As usual, a class act....pretty rare to see someone besides myself with so much tact. I suppose it would be a good game of battle ship, should we ever play...
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-09-2013 19:49
It would be an interesting game.

You made a comment in an earlier post that we are "leaderless". You and I both agree that the industry needs people with leadership skills and have the knowlege and experience to mentor young welders coming into our industry. Have you considered stepping up to become a leader and mentor some of those welders that don't have your experience and talent?

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-21-2013 15:14
Al, I'm studying right now. My latest gig is going to turn into enough hrs throughout the month to pay the bills. Between that and running my rig, and a cwi status, I should be doing much better for myself physically and emotionally....

A good friend of mine told me the other day that he doesn't care if he ever welds another thing in his life. I was fairly shocked because is a great welder, fabricator, and a good business man. Since I don't see it that way yet, I didn't understand where he was coming from until he explained himself.

Instead of inching through the industry as an expert, competing with amateurs, he is going to teach young people how to do things.....and I am following his lead. I have 5 acres of commercial property, a 45x72 shop to erect, and nothing but cashola keeping me down. You are spot on about being proactive in changing our trade.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-12-2013 03:00
WHY DOES D1.1 NOT REQUIRE INSPECTION ON ANY JOB DONE UNDER THAT CODE    Thats pretty wack....I would not care if any CWI looked up my butt with a flashlight on any welds I made on ANY building.   AND THEY SHOULD TO KEEP THE RIFF RAFF OUT OF THE GAME!!!!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-12-2013 03:04
Sully really?>   AL  he just wants to play chess with you for the fun of it...that is all he is interested in.   He really don't give a SH((T.....he just is looking for some mental checkers.

Are ya done playing with your fox in the snow bro?  I need you to call me back the schedule has radically changed.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-21-2013 14:42
Wrong.....
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-21-2013 22:37 Edited 03-21-2013 22:39
Hello Tommy;

As stated previously, under general business law, there is the expectation the contractor that accepts the work is qualified to do the work and that he will comply with the appropriate code.

You do not dismantle the engine and transmission of the new truck before you purchase it to verify the various parts and components were machined to the proper dimensions, you do not measure the thickness of the body panels, and you do not dismantle the radio to check that the proper components were used by the manufacturer. You assume the manufacturer knows how to build the truck and you expect the company that built the radio was competent to design and build the receiver.

Consumer groups apply pressure to encourage manufacturers to recall defective products. Some lawyers make their living by initiating class action suites when the manufacturers fail to respond to customer complaints that are not resolved and the pool of disgruntled consumers make it worthwhile to pursue.

In the case of buildings; most states give the Owner seven years to file a complaint against a contractor that fails to perform or one that provides defective work. Again, the Owner is not obligated to provide inspection because the contractor is obligated to provide services that meet the project specifications and applicable codes. In those locations where a building code has been adopted, violations of the codes are a criminal act. The contractor can be held accountable in a court of law. To better protect their self-interest, most owners do provide some level of oversight, but often it is the minimum required by the applicable building code. Providing some level of verification inspection is usually more cost effective than dragging the contractor to court for resolution.

D1.1 places the onus of responsibility on the shoulders of the contractor providing the service which is consistent with other industries and general business practice. Building codes mandate a minimum level of verification inspection that is intended to ensure the structure is safe and to protect the general public. They do not require the same level of inspection for every type of construction and end use. Large structures that will serve the needs of the community, i.e. hospitals, schools, etc. require closer scrutiny than small private structures where there is little danger to the general public.

In the event the contractor's breach is minor the building official has the latitude to simply require the contractor to tear out and replace the substandard work. If the breach is serious the building official has the latitude to refer the case to the appropriate officials and legal action can be taken.

Not every job required full time inspections nor can the cost on-going inspection be justified. After all, even when the contractor's failure to perform initially goes unnoticed; should anything happen, i.e., there is an accident and someone is hurt, the contractor responsible and can be held accountable by means of civil action taken by the Owner or criminal prosecution by the local, state, or federal government.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-22-2013 00:57
Ok   gotcha....it took a while for me to simmer it all.     THANKS
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller Multimatic 200
1 2 Previous Next