Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / All position stainless rod???
- - By Weldemupblue (*) Date 03-01-2013 17:04
Any of you boys know of an all position stainless arc rod? Got a pipe job, 304 SS pipe 6" sched 10.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-01-2013 17:42
Here's a link for Lincoln,

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/consumables/stick-electrodes/Pages/stick-electrodes.aspx

Tig would be my route of choice however, cleaner, easier on the welder(me)

As far as all position tig rod there are different ideas from guys with more experience than I on some that claim to be all position that really don't seem to work all position.

Shawn
Parent - By lo-hi (**) Date 03-01-2013 18:09
sch 10 would be a stretch with stick. If you can use rollers and slip flanges it could be a breaze.You end up wasting a lot of rod out of position on thin wall s.s. pipe.If you can get some slick stick by MG and some pipe give that a try before you commit yourself.  Good luck and hope it works out for you.
- - By Weldemupblue (*) Date 03-01-2013 17:47
I was planning on TIG welding it until I found out its outside on a roof. LoL if I cannot get around I will TIG it, it's a low pressure pipe but I am still planning on doing a TIG root regardless.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-02-2013 03:15 Edited 03-02-2013 03:21
Ummm Not all SS rod is created equal by ANY means.  Sorry but the Lincoln rods could not hang if you expect a nice lo-hy looking cap.  I have been bit in the behind by "so- called"  all position rods.  I HIGHLY recommend Mckay stuff (hobart).  Don't be fooled by the -16 designation being all position..that is a lie!   Go with a dc lime 308 and you will be happy with the results.....in other words E308L-15. Esab has some good SS rods too but I have not run enough of em to brag on em.

http://www.hobartbrothers.com/product-details.html?name=308L+DC+Lime

I am pretty sold on the Mckay line...they have a rod for every situation and the stuff is worth the price definitely.

That is really thin pipe, I am not sure how small a SMAW rod you can get that in.  3/32 on Sch 10 might be pushing it... but maybe your a way better welder then I am.  Sure you don't want to tig it?  You could nail it in one pass with a 1/8 filler.
Parent - - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 03-02-2013 21:13 Edited 03-02-2013 21:17
308 is definitely the way to go if you're going to be using SMAW; although, if possible, TIG would be my preference.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-03-2013 00:00
if your concerned with weather just put a wind shanty in your bid;...little bit of square bar and some tarps and your good to go with tig welding it all.
- - By Weldemupblue (*) Date 03-03-2013 05:48
Thanks for the input guys! I will be looking into the SMAW rods y'all mentioned just for future reference, however I have decided to TIG it, I just hope it's not too cold out when I finally get around to burning it, besides IV been wanting to try my maxstar out on some SS pipe Anyway. Hell maybe ill just have one of the ironworkers on the site TIG it for me... HAHAHAHA
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-04-2013 03:57
send some pics after your all done!~
Parent - By cddolan74 (**) Date 03-04-2013 16:38
if you can TIG, do it.  Arcos, Avesta, make a  very good 16 Coating  (out of position) electrodes and can still work pretty decent if your using a AC stick welder.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / All position stainless rod???