Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Heat sink compounds and flame straightening
- - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 03-07-2013 03:35
Has anyone ever used any of the heat sink compounds for heat straightening? I've used them before on sheet metal to try and reduce distortion, at best I can say they did something, usually not enough. Would they work any better for heat shrinking or bending?
I have a tube of this stuff at work;   http://www.tempil.com/products/anti-heat-heat-absorbing-compound/
I'll give it a try when I get a chance, but i'm wondering if anyone else has tried it before. I don't think i'm going to have much play time at work for a while...

And what is happening with this stuff that makes it absorb heat? Is it only absorbing heat from the surface its directly contacting, or will it "pull" heat through a parts thickness?
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-08-2013 02:24 Edited 03-08-2013 02:27
The most heat absorbtion occurs when a material changes state, say from liquid to gas [water to steam being a common example].

Heat transfer in a given material depends on difference in temperature, the greater the difference, the greater the transfer.

The compounds can only influence the rate of transfer in the material by absorbing more heat from the area they are in contact with, keeping the difference in temperature as high as possible.

It would take a heck of a lot of compound to make a noticeable difference in a heavy part.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 03-08-2013 11:33
sounds sketchy to my:neutral:
$20 for one tube isn't cheap either, never used the stuff, sorry.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Heat sink compounds and flame straightening