Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AR 400 Steel Straighting
- - By bmmm Date 03-08-2013 15:26
We have some AR 400 steel plate in the shop that we are welding on and after it's welded it has been distorted by being welded the question is how to straighten.
I think the only way you can straighten it is to press it out, but I didn't know if you could use heat on it and if so how much heat?
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-08-2013 19:40
Years ago, Lincoln published a booklet titled "The Welding Shop Foreman's Handbook". There was an entire chapter dedicated on how to straighten warped base material.
I don't know if the booklet is still available from Lincoln.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 03-08-2013 19:49
The Professor is correct about the book being very informative on heat straightening.

Anyway, back to your question, is difficult to answer with out more information such as thk, shape, service, application, etc..  Could you post a pix?

I deal AR 400 plate and have used a press to bump form it and also have used heat to remove distortion.  Be careful using thermal heat as it will remove the hardness.

QCRobert
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-08-2013 21:03
Localized heat can be used to minimize distortion very effectively with  little practice.

The basic premise is that the heat is applied to a localized area to develop thermal gradients between the spot heated and the surrounding areas.

The best results are achieved when the thermal gradients are maximized. You can apply wet rags to the areas adjacent to the location being heated to help minimize the heat transferred to areas not being heated. I usually clamp pieces of angle along the edges of the area being heated and place the wet rags on the opposite side of the angles so the flame does not come in contact with the flame (for obvious reasons).

The temperature increase will cause the metal to expand locally, but it is restrained by the adjacent base metal that is maintained at a lower temperature. When the thermal gradient is high enough, the heated metal will deform by plastic deformation.  Once the metal cools back to ambient temeratures, the residual stress will be in tension with a stress equal to the yield strength of the base metal.

The temperature rise needed to produce localized yielding is not as high as one would suspect. A delta T of less than 300 degrees is usually enough, but it is common to heat the area to about 600 to 800 degrees  without causing undue damage to the base metal.

Since the material you are working with is Q&T steel, you must keep the temprature below the tempering temperature used by the manufacturer. You can usually get that information from your supplier or by doing a search on the Internet. I suspect it will be around 1000 to 1100 degrees, but you need to find out. 

When you apply the heat, the member will distort toward the heat source, i.e., in the direction opposite the direction you want it to go. Have no fear, it will move in the correct direction as the member cools. Remember, the trick is to apply the heat and confine the temperature rise to a small area. Don't let the heat dissipate into the surrounding base metal. Use a large heat source to heat the area quickly. You do not usually want to use a soaking heat.

I favor heating and cooling small areas so I can better control the outcome. If you heat too large an area the movement may be more than you had hoped for or you might not achieve the delta T you are looking for.

AWS publishes a standard on flame and heat straightening that is a very good source of information on how to apply the technique.

Good luck - Al
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-08-2013 23:13
Al,
All of what you said is perfect, but is very difficult to understand without drawings, or at least sketches of what you mean. That's why I recommended the Lincoln handbook, it has plenty of sketches to explain what's written on it.
Don't be upset, you know I have a great respect for you.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-09-2013 06:04
I have no problem with your comments. I agree with you. However, since I am using a different computer that is no longer compatible with my old AutoCad program I cannot include sketches with my posts.

Best regards - Al
- By bmmm Date 03-11-2013 11:25
Thank you all for your input.

Brad,
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AR 400 Steel Straighting