Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GMAW on schedule 10 304 stainless
- - By PipeIt (**) Date 03-12-2013 13:48
In our fab shop we TIG all our stainless schedule 10, we were wondering has anyone out there had any success with MIG welding schedule 10 stainless?

Thanks

PI
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 03-12-2013 14:02
PipeIt,
we have used the Miller pipe pro processes (pipe worx now)  for years on sch 10 SS on our Ethanol projects. Worked very well. You can go to Miller's web site to learn more about it or call Miller and they can set up a demo at your shop. Have you qualifed a procedure with the GMAW process for this material?

Thanks
Jim
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 03-12-2013 14:32
Have not qualified this yet for MIG we are quoting the job I have a CWI we out source to get us qualified.

Thanks for the reply
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-12-2013 14:39
Hello pipeit, as Jim said, Miller has some nice advanced process GMAW systems that would work very well, Lincoln also has the STT GMAW systems, Fronius, the list goes on. Bottom line, depending upon application and conditions I am sure that you could find a nice balance between speed and quality with an application of advanced GMAW of one flavor or another. There is a company in my town called JH Kelly, they use an extensive amount of the Miller Pipeworx equipment on an arrauy of piping with very good results. Good luck and regards, Allan
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 03-13-2013 04:03
If you heliarc everything, as I do, be careful before you invest in GMAW equipment for 10 GA 304l. I found great difficulty in obtaining inside corner welds. Outside corner welds easy and like butter I'm very impressed, but I also need inside corner welds and I have not found extra letters in the name of the machine to effect the arc wandering/wetting/heat issues of GMAW. Also, there is a dance of variables if you experiment with gas mixture that makes you think you're taking crazy pills.
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 03-16-2013 17:59
Stringer,
the the poster is talking about Sch 10 SS pipe not 10 gauge.  Just thought it needed some clarification.

thanks
Jim
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 03-17-2013 17:21
Oops, sorry, and thank you, Jim. I misread the OP's post. I TIG all my SCH 10 pipe so I just didn't click that it was PIPE, not sheet as in the tanks I build.
Parent - By joelwelder (*) Date 03-17-2013 17:49
we've been welding sch 10 ss for years with Lincoln stt, no purge, and one pass! and have always had excellent xray results. of course we are running everything off positioners
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GMAW on schedule 10 304 stainless