Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welding A36 Carbon Steel to ASTM 1050 Carbon Steel
- - By Keith Hill Date 03-13-2013 18:06
I am developing a weld procedure for the listed materials and I was wondering if anyone has any experience welding these materials together.  I know we will be using FCAW process and I was wondering about preheat and any other restrictions I should be concerned with.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 03-13-2013 19:13
I'd be willing to give er a go in trying to help you out, but can you elaborate a little more on exactly what you would like to know.  Things to know would be applications, production thicknesses, wire diameters, gases, production positions, exact code you are working to etc etc.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-16-2013 00:04
A 36 may be plate, shapes, bars, rods etc. In this case,  I think it's plate. SAE 1050 is a medium carbon steel with good resistance to abrasion.
You don't say where are you going to use these materials, but I suspect (I said suspect, not sure) that it's a hopper or silo made of A 36 plate with SAE 1050 wear plates located on the bottom cone or pyramid.
If this is the case, you don't need to weld the wear plates to the carbon steel plate. Wear plates are bolted, not welded. First reason, welding 1050 steel is a little complicated, as Al explained very well. Second reason, when the wear plates are worn, you have to replace them. Replacing worn plates that are bolted is easier than if they are welded.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-13-2013 20:13
The only ASTM specification I found with the designation 1050 has nothing to do with steel.

Check your specification again. I expect you will find the steel in question is AISI 1050 steel. It is a plain carbon steel with a nominal carbon content of 0.5%. That is a good amount of carbon which will require high preheat, a low hydrogn welding process, and stress relieve when the welding is completed.

You didn't say what welding standard is applicable, so the details of what you need to do are dependent on the particulars of the welding standard.

The following material specification include products with chemistry meeting AISI 1050:
AMS 5085
ASTM A29 (1050)
ASTM A510 (1050)
ASTM A513
ASTM A519 (1050)
ASTM A576 (1050)
ASTM A682 (1050)
ASTM A827
ASTM A830
QQ S700 (C1050)
SAE J1397 (1050)
SAE J403 (1050)
SAE J412 (1050)
UNS G10500

Good luck.

Al
Parent - - By Keith Hill Date 03-14-2013 16:35
The Code I am developing the weld procedure to is D1.1.  I was wondering about the preheat so thaks for heping with that.  I plan on using the Fluxcore process, do you have a recommendation for the wire?  What method of stress relief would you suggest?  Thanks for your input.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-14-2013 21:10
There is no easy answer to your question. You need to know what condition it is in, whether it is normalized, annealled, quenched and tempered, etc. The state of heat treatment and manufacuring process; cold rolled, hot rolled, cast, forged, etc. will determine the properties. Your welding procedure must develop the mechanical propertiesohe base metal, but we don't know what they are yet.

The mechanical properties will influence the choice of filler metal, because not only do you want to match the chemistry of he base metal, but you have to match the mechanical properties. That might require post weld heat treatment. That means the filler metal must produce th required mechanical properties in the PWHT condition.

So far, you have only provide a small part of the infomation needed to provide a reasonable answer to your question.

As far as preheat, try using Annex I of D1.1:2010. You can determine the preheat based on the chemistry of the base metal if you determine the level hydrogen control imposed and the degree of restraint of the joint.

Best regards - Al
- By apwec (*) Date 09-16-2013 07:18
I think that this link could help you understand what you should do since it manipulates a very similar case and analyze all of its aspects
http://www.weldinguide.com/gdanastasiadis/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=387
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welding A36 Carbon Steel to ASTM 1050 Carbon Steel