Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D14.1 Stud Welding
- - By rmdrmd15 (**) Date 03-14-2013 11:45
I don't see stud welding in D14.1 so does that mean I need to qualify the process like a PQR and if so what are the guidlines?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-15-2013 03:54
I would contact the engineering authority and ask how they would like you to proceed.

I suspect you are talking about a threaded stud in which case you might make a suggestion that the stud procedure be qualified by applying torque to a nut as described in D1.1.

Al
Parent - - By yyq4794 (**) Date 03-18-2013 03:39
Use Clause 7 of AWS D1.5 to qualify to stud
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-18-2013 03:59
Why would you go to the Bridge Code to qualify a stud procedure for the Machinery Code, specifically for Cranes and Material Handling?  There is no correlation there at all. 

D14 used to default many items to D1.1 but the D14 Committee has really been busy developing all their own procedures and standards to make it a more complete stand alone code. 

There should be some reference contained in it as to direction to be taken, but without it in front of me I don't know where.  Without any other reference I agree with Al.  Take it to the job's engineer/customer and see how they want the job to procede. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D14.1 Stud Welding