Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller Big Blue 300 for air arc and hardfacing
- - By strother (***) Date 03-18-2013 00:10
I am thinking about buying a Big Blue 300 from Red D Arc. But I am not sure if this is the machine for me. I need something to run .045 Outersheild , .045 Hardfacing wire 5/32 7018 and 1/4" airarc. I want a machine machine that will do this without maxing it out. As far as amperage the Big Blue 400 would be a better choice but it has to large of a footprint to put on my truck and still have room left. I have also looked at Vantage 300 and 400 new. The Vantage is rated at about the same amps but at a higher duty cycle. The Vantage 400 also has a smaller footprint than the Big Blue 400.  I don't want to buy a used welder but I'm not sure if I can afford new. If I buy used I will buy it from Red D Arc because I believe I will get a good machine. If I buy new then I will buy a Vantage. Putting aside Lincoln/Miller argument, will the Big Blue 300 do what I am needing it to do?
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-19-2013 00:41 Edited 03-19-2013 00:45
You would be pushing it on any big blue 300 air arcing 1/4" save one dont remember which year but its old 375 amp output 100% duty cycle.  Big BLue and red d arc.......huh I am lost there.   Now on to the 400 same machine, heavier armature, same rpm same drive for most years.  I cannot vouch for the gas machines for reliability....as far as the armatures I could tell some stories SOME would stand up and say BS too.  I will just tell you solid as a ROCK on the copper generators....no electronic nothing to speak of...Deutz engines run all day everyday...rack up tons of hours without serious maintenance.  All while burning stuff that hits capacity regularly.  I got no problems with a big blue, pure dc and solidly built...stuff after and around 2004 ....I dunno.  Most of my experience with Big Blues is 88-early 2000 Diesel machines...none left me high and dry and most had 4k to 8k hrs on them.  

The vantages have a buttload of electronics in them they have to have to run...rectified  and conditioned AC to produce dc output.  Some love em some hate em some repair em.  Course with a vantage you got AC welding and huge gen output in 110-220-460 3phase....if you want to run big tools that is a SERIOUS consideration.  Your typical big blue will offer probably max 8k watts on either circut 110-220....but pure DC welding on SMAW.

I know what makes me money and what I would throw on my rig between the two.
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 03-19-2013 01:27
Tommy, Red D Arc has machines that are basically Big Blues with stainless skins that have Red D are decals on them. I have no doubt that the Big Blue 400 would do what I want but man it is a monster. I am putting another rig together and I want to put 2 welders on it. That plus air compressor ,torches ,reels. That 6ft. long 3ft. wide 400 don't leave much room. I need something with a lot of arse and a little foot. I have thought about all of electronics on the Vantage being a problem after the warranty is gone could get expensive.   I've got an old Hobart I've wondered if a Lincoln CV Adapter would work on it .
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-19-2013 03:37 Edited 03-19-2013 12:01
more stoopid useless jabbering on my part....sorry
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 03-19-2013 03:34 Edited 03-19-2013 03:36
I'm a big fan of reliability!!! The last place I worked we rented the BB300's all the time but I didn't purchase any for the mine. I never experienced any problems with them. For what they are they work well. A BB400-500 is much more suited for gouging and hard high output work than the 300. I did have AirVantage and AirPak's there. Don't get me wrong I do appreciate the capability of the Vantage machines and IMO they are great machines. However, I would not choose one to do heavy gouging work with. Every one I bought at the mine broke and needed repair (bords) at least once before they were three years old. So to keep this from being a problem the Blue welders got all the gouging and large wire work while the shiny vantage machines sat on the sidelines... Not one of the AirPaks has ever quit so that's proof in The puddin IMO.
For me I bought a BB500D from WelderBrent (Brent), and to get off topic a bit Brent is a really good guy! Back on track...
It is the deluxe model with 15,000W 220 single phase and 20,000W 220 three phase auxiliary power. It has a Deutz and will sip fuel all week on a single tank of diesel. The machine is not small, it starts every time I flip the switch and makes bright lights and sparks every time I want it to. I routinely have one of my XMT304cc/cv machines plugged into the three phase running it and welding off the 500 at the same time. Works just fine for me and helps me when I need two arcs going at the same time or when I want stick for something and wire for another without having to go back to the machine to switch it back and forth.
I enjoy using a reliable machine and my BB500 is just that. It is simple to operate and maintain and if something breaks I can fix every part of it. I am very pleased with it and would recommend it every day and twice on Sundays!!!
Look into used machines while you still can. The new machines with the gubment bs diesel emission garbage WILL have growing pains and cost the poor soul who bought it big $$$$ to fix.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-19-2013 03:43 Edited 03-19-2013 11:59
sorry
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 03-19-2013 03:49
Tommy, saw a guy with a SA200 and sitting beside it was a Trailblazer on the back of his Chevy. Nothing wrong with it looks like he is doing just fine!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-19-2013 04:10 Edited 03-19-2013 04:14
Wade you asked a question....I gave you my opinion with considerable experience on .5 of the subject............If you are filling youR bank account with a honda powered/kohler powered whatever...well good for you.   BUT I GUARANTEE at some point you will realize you need a liquid cooled machine to efficiently make money with.  IT is simply a matter of maximizing your investment ,,,,the liquid  cooled machines have 5 times the longevity of air cooled ones $ per $ on maintInance costs.   I hate to say so BUT i totally agree with the pipeliners on this point!!!

CRAP wade it is just MY OPINION.....I would not take a lot of stock in that....I am just a rod burning mofo...I don't know ****.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 03-19-2013 04:44
What I was trying to convey above in the last post was that a few weeks ago I saw a rig driving in front of me with an SA200 and a Trailblazer mounted to it. It is not my rig. Looked to me like he was doing fine and working. I completely agree that air cooled 3500rpm machines are not best suited for rig welding.

I was not knocking anyone or their machine. Just giving my .02 as I see it so if that pisses people off... Oh well!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-19-2013 04:49 Edited 03-19-2013 11:58
sorry
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-19-2013 04:56
I know of a local guy with that selection of machines, but He doesn't keep both on the truck.

He uses the Trailblazer for AC tig, wire welding & plasma cutting in the field, or when He needs more AC Aux. power.

He also has an SA-200 and SA-250 for pipeline or contractors that won't hire You if You don't use a Lincoln.

He did mention that the Lincoln machines are gas engines and use a lot more fuel than the gas engine Trailblazer. He says He can do equal quality stick welds with any of the three.

Everybody knows the Kohler on the Trailblazer will be pretty worne out at 4K hours [asuming it lasts that long] but with proper maintainance, a fair number do.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 03-19-2013 23:14
Tommy, Lot of different opinions, same thing w/ welders...... Lot of different uses:confused::confused::confused: I have a Miller Pro300 on one truck, use for repair welding w/ stick but also runs an LN-7 feeder for cutting edge replacement and layin'  down alot of bead using C.V.   Also use to run a Hi-Freq. Box w/A.C. for tigging aluminum:cool::cool::cool::cool: Now it also has 12kw of power to run a plasma cutter or run my core drills:cool::cool::cool::cool: Best part is it sips diesel......  On my other rig I run a SA-200D to weld pipe, best machine for it .......IMO:roll::roll::roll::roll: Now we install alot of stairs and handrail so....... I have found out the best machine is a Ranger 10kw on wheels(like a wheelbarrow) roll it to stair well and go up a floor or down a floor:grin::grin::grin:don't need alot of cable, can run grinders/drills/lights ,etc.. and can move in an elevator to where its' needed:wink::wink::wink::wink: so different welders for different jobs
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-21-2013 01:45
I agree....I just started spouting on Strother and it was uncalled for BS on my part...well some bs anyway....at any rate it did not contribute in a postitive way...sorry yall, especially you Strother.
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 04-06-2013 13:14
Update......After much tire kicking I bought a used Vantage 400. It just fit my list of requirements better than anything else I looked at.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-06-2013 17:40
Cool.  If the power ever goes out you can become a local utility company with that thing and power the neighborhood!:grin:  Perkins in it?
Parent - By strother (***) Date 04-06-2013 21:46
Yeah, It's got a Perkins. So far I really like it. Time will tell!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller Big Blue 300 for air arc and hardfacing