Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / CWE
- - By newinsp (**) Date 03-18-2013 16:00
Even as an educator, I did not see the benefit of having the CWE when I took my CWI exam.  Now I am considering paying for the CWE, just because it is just a little paperwork.  Is it worth the money?  Anyone had any real benefit from having the CWE?  Looks like I could spend the same money on getting NDE instead.  I'll probably keep teaching and we don't have an NDE program. 
What would you do?
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-19-2013 10:19
I have weighed the same things also. Just another piece of paper that changes nothing about me. But then again, it may be the thing that opens the door to a great full time teaching job should one come up. I just teach part time for a community college workforce development program. Not like a "real" teacher. but I love it.

NCCER and NOCTI certifications seem interesting too.

Gerald Austin
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 03-19-2013 14:20
Thanks for the thoughts Gerald,

I'm only PT as well.  Between curriculum and continuing ed and workforce development classes I get just under full time hours. 

I'm sure that you are a "real" teacher too. 

Rick
Parent - - By TAC (*) Date 03-19-2013 16:46
I am an adjunct instructor as well; have the CWI/CWE.  Honestly can't say that I've seen a whole lot of benefit; although it has helped get some small projects training new welders.  My previous employer payed for it, and my current employer pays for me to keep it.  I probably wouldn't maintain it if this wasn't the case.

I feel the NDT training has been much more beneficial than the CWE, and that's where my money would go.

If you don't have them already, look into the ICC structural steel and bolting, and structural welding special inspector certifications.  These have definitely provided much opportunity.
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 03-23-2013 10:54
Thanks TAC,

Thanks for the tip on the ICC structural bolting.  I always look at the job market, for 'just in case', and it seems that there are many more NDT jobs than there are for CWIs alone.
- - By hvymax (**) Date 11-06-2013 16:35
As far as I know the CWE exam is just the knowlege portion of the CWI test. I have been meaning to ask if there was a way to just get it added on now that I have been teaching for a while.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-20-2013 00:28
Send em money with documenation- BOOM your a CWE. Or at least that is what I remember.

Its kinda interesting that you cannot become a certified welding salesperson if you are a CWI but you can be an educator. The CWSR program appears to not refer to allowing those who have passed the CWI to become certified.

Gerald Austin
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / CWE