Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / New Position
- - By eekpod (****) Date 03-20-2013 10:16
Just a heads to to everyone that today is my last day here at Capco Steel after 11 years it's time to move on. I will be getting away from the Structural Steel Building and Bridge world and will be switching over to ASME as I have accepted a position as a QC Engineer for a fabricator that makes parts and pieces for Power Plant turbines and such.
It's back to more hands on QC/ NDT which is fine with me I've never had a problem with doing it in the past.  It will take me a little bit to get back into the swing of things and getting used to ASME vs D1.1, it's been a few years since Ive worked with ASME. So Ive been reading back posts on this forum and you can bet I'll be asking alot of questions and clarification to make sure I am understanding it correctly.
I have a few days off and once I log out on this work computer I'll need to get the home one fired up and logged in.
Thanks
Chris
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 03-20-2013 10:42
eekpod

Good Luck Chris

Marshall
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-20-2013 11:39
Best wishes! Chris

Hoping your new adventure goes well for you.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-21-2013 03:06
Good luck in your new position. You should have few problems in making the transition to ASME.

Best regards -Al
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 03-21-2013 21:32
Congrats are in order!  I'm sure you will do well.

QCRobert
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-21-2013 22:23
Congrats.
ASME
Always
Sometimes
Maybe
Except
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-22-2013 01:59
Congratulations on your new job!

Gerald
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 03-22-2013 12:30
Congratulations and best of luck to you on your new assignment!
I'm sure you are one who appreciates a good challenge and ASME should test your mettle while testing some metal.
If I may quote Robert Heinlein; "Specialization is for insects".
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 03-24-2013 22:31
thanks everyone.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 03-28-2013 15:23
Well it's day #4 and it's not bad, takes a bit to adjust to a different employer after being at the same place for 11 yrs.  that and going back into the shop as QC vs QA so that's an adjustment.  Just hope the checks clear next week, that's the really important part.
Chris
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 04-01-2013 18:51
Iv'e learned something new in the past week.

I never would have thought that a hammer and chisel would be needed as part of my inspection tools, but it is.
We have to remove ALL spatter.  Any little BB, anything HAS to be removed.
So after a visual insp I have to run my hands over the welds (with gloves on) and feel for any spec of spatter and chisel it off before it goes to paint.

I'm talking BB's the size of what's in your ball point pen, not giant one's, these are tiny miniscule.
Interesting, you learn something new all the time.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-01-2013 19:59
Maybe have the welder removed "his" excess filler material before you do your inspection :wink:
-Just a thought :cool:

Back in my NACE classroom days I remember the instructor explaining about mil thickness at sharp corners and at weld spatter...these places are where the mil thickness is the thinnest and is subject to causing a coating failure.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 04-02-2013 11:10
They do these inspections after the parts are blasted in case any pin holes get opened up, this way it's easy to see them.
Yes we try to get all the spatter before they blast it but it's nearly impossible to see each and every little BB.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-02-2013 11:41
Well, it sounds like they have the welders set pretty close to perfect if all you're seeing is very fine spatter. That's a good thing.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-02-2013 11:45
BTW, I found that a 4" wide brick chisel works great for me. I keep one in my UT bag in case the welder doesn't get the area clean enough for me. The handle is short enough to get into some tight places, but long enough to keep a good grip on it. Rarely do I ever need a hammer, spatter that tough is a whole different set of problems.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 04-04-2013 13:04
yes John your right, we use those as well and it works great.
It does seem that they have the welders dialed right in, very little to no undercut, and most of the welds are great. Both FCAW and GMAW depending on the application.  We make OEM parts for other companies and they require pristine assemblies once they are complete.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / New Position