Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Welding Engineering schools?????
- - By Phaze (*) Date 03-22-2013 15:29
I am currently working full time as a welder and going to school full time for Welding Technology (associates degree) at Illinois Central College and attending Southern Illinois University at Carbondale for a Bachelors degree in Industrial Technology. Upon completion of these two degrees I would like to transfer to a four year school and pursue a Welding Engineering bachelors degree. I have ruled out Ohio State as they do not except transfer students from Welding Technology programs, and I am kind of leaning towards Penn State's W.E. program. I would vary much appreciate any feed back on choosing a W.E. program, or the W.E. profession in general.

Thank you kindly,
Alex
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 03-22-2013 16:57
Penn State is a good option.  But, what are your ultimate goals?  A BS in Welding Engineering Technology degree would open many doors for Welding Engineering  jobs as well.  The BSWE would be more vital for graduate school or heavy R&D jobs, and for some government positions.  I think the Penn State program is a technology degree if I am not mistaken.  Another good school for technology degrees is Ferris State in Michigan, but it is more geared to automotive welding careers if I am not mistaken.

As far as I know, Ohio State and Letourneau University are the only two schools with a BSWE degree.  And, LeTourneau changed the degree title to "Materials Joining Engineering" to include brazing and adhesive bonding technology.  But there are schools that have strong welding programs within their metallurgy degrees like RPI and Colorado School of Mines.

Have you tried the welding schools locator at this website?  I am sure I have left quite a few out.  Don't want to slight anyone.

I am a LeTourneau BS Welding Engineering Technology grad myself and have held welding engineering positions in the naval nuclear program and aerospace industries.
Parent - - By Phaze (*) Date 03-24-2013 12:07 Edited 03-24-2013 12:10
To be honest, I really don't know exactly what I want to do. Right now I work in a manufacturing facility, we make parts for John Deere, CAT, CNH and a few others and I do sort of enjoy the manufacturing/production aspect, but I don't really know if that's where I want to stay. Also, I plan on returning to my home in western Massachusetts after completing my education, and there really isn't much manufacturing in that area, except for a few aerospace machine shops and the shipyards on the coast. I have always found the quality/weld inspection aspect interesting.

The only thing I am certain of is I enjoy welding and I find it interesting, and I want to pursue a BSWE or BSWET, I don't really know the difference between the two.

I have checked out Ferris State and their waiting list for transfer students is crazy, fall of 2015. The other thing is I heard is that they are too focused on the automotive industry. I have been sort of bouncing back an forth between Letourneu and Penn State but I just don't know...........

Alex
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 03-24-2013 13:35 Edited 03-24-2013 13:39
When I was at Letourneau, the main difference between the BSWE and BSWET programs was math related.  BSWE's went through Calculus III and Differential Equations, and BSWET's went through Calculus II with an introduction to differential equations.  The Welding Engineering classes back then were identical for both majors. The other courses were divided between engineering and technology courses, with engineers being taught more theory, and technology majors being taught more practical and hands on skills.  WE's were taught how to design complex electrical circuits, and technology grads were taught how to program and troubleshoot automation and electrical control systems.

To be honest, there is not a lot of high level math required in the everyday welding industry.  I have seen complex models (some which run on supercomputers) used to predict phase transformations, weld size, and metallurgical reactions; in nearly every case, they were only able to conjure a "best guess" result.  Advanced welding theory does have its place, but at the end of the day, it is the practical skills that are most in demand by employers who simply want to get the job done.  A solid understanding of Welding QA testing methods is mandatory for both majors.

If you get an education with a solid foundation in the basics of welding theory, you will still be a great fit for many employers.  My employers in the past always had metallurgists on staff, some with PhD’s even.  So, I have worked with a wide range of people in my career to date.  And, some of the best welding engineers of all time had no degree at all.  Check out George Linnert of AWS fame who wrote Welding Metallurgy Vol's 1 and 2.

Very few states have a PE certification for WE's.  Most WE's that do get a PE get it in Mechanical Engineering.  I have only seen one WE job description (out of thousands) in the last 33 years that required a PE certification.  And, don't forget, a BSWET could still take the AWS Certified Welding Engineer exam, which might carry more weight than a PE cert.  But, I will be quick to admit that a BSWE would have a greater chance of passing the exams, and some projects like welding design for bridges and buildings might mandate possession of a PE cert.  But, I had a job offer right out of school to do welding design for offshore drilling rigs.  I made an A in my Design of Welded Structures Course, and that was all they cared about.  All my calculations would have been checked by a PE, and I would have been checking his calculations!
Parent - - By MMyers (**) Date 03-25-2013 17:32
OBEWAN is spot on with the differences between technology degrees and the BSWE degrees.  I'm a OSU WE and a good deal of my time in school was spent learning theory with some valuable, but not really extensive, hands on time.  I compensated for that during and when I got out by seeking out hands on type positions so I could gain some real world expertise to go with my theory.   I'll also echo the sentiments about high level math not really being used every day.  Welding is a very empirical field, so most of what is done in industry is to weld a sample and test it.  Today, I wear every hat I'm handed.  Sometimes I'm a glorified technician who wears steel toes, jeans, and a hoodie to work while doing procedure development for critical mechanized GTAW applications.  Other times I'm giving presentations to customers, either on my results or pitching a job.  Other times I'm reviewing my client's specifications/procedures and offering feedback.  Regardless of which path you go, make sure the school you attend offers typing and public speaking classes (assuming you don't already have those skills).   Those have been, hands down, the two most value able classes for me.  The rest of the information I learned in school I can look up in a book on my shelf, but I can't fake communications skills.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 03-25-2013 18:07
As for the math part, I might add that you should get at least one course in statistics.  More and more employers are moving to the use of Six Sigma methods, and you will need a stats background to pass the cert test.  Stats might be the most valuable math course as far as my career goes.

But, nowadays, computers do all the heavy lifting.  I have used the MiniTab program at more than one employer to do some advanced stats calculations.

And, stats will help you win many a fight and even get you out of trouble. On one project, I read some R&D reports on LASER aluminum welding before going to the job interview.  The reports all stated a 6% cracking probability for a certain alloy and only 2% for other alloys that were more "weldable".

Well, guess what?  I took on the project and had to fight an ongoing 5% crack reject rate for the aluminum laser welds.  The employer demanded 100% yields, which is a virtual impossibility from a statistical standpoint.

If you are lucky, your employers will invite you to sit in on design review meetings to either accept or reject the materials selections for new products.  That is what is known these days as  "Design for Six Sigma", or DFSS.  Unfortunately, not everyone does it yet.  But, at least if you make your case known, and put it in writing, you might get off the hook if an insurmountable problem comes up and a manager is pounding on you to "fix" it.
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 03-26-2013 13:50
As far as I know, the state of Ohio was the last state to offer a PE exam specifically for welding.  I beleve this was discontinued a year or 2 ago.  It is my understanding that for the NCEES (the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying) to re-approve a PE exam for welding, at least 10 states must participate.  Probably will never happen
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 03-26-2013 17:02
A mechanical engineer friend recently received his PE stamp from the state of Texas AND! AWS Welding Engineers certification. He says the AWS was much harder. And the CWI test was a walk in the park compared to those two.
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 03-28-2013 23:19
Check out the Welding Journal this month.  There is a great article on this subject written by the Letourneau Welding Engineering Chair, and it goes into some of the differences between the BSWE and BSWET degrees.

According to industry surveys, 75% of Engineering Technology grads hold full engineering jobs.  But, for grad school or a PE cert, a full engineering degree is better.

Some companies favor engineering grads, but others are warming up to accept more technology grads.

But, at the end of the day, maybe the best approach is to aim as high as possible at first.
- - By Phaze (*) Date 03-29-2013 17:16
Thanks guys for all your input. I have a question for everyone, I have been searching (without success) for a handbook or pocket reference book that has math and physics formulas and other important information that would pertain to the welding engineering profession and that I could even use for school. Does such a thing exist? Any recommendations?

Thank you kindly,
Alex
Parent - - By Phaze (*) Date 03-29-2013 17:21
If anybody has any suggestions for any literature that would be helpful I would love to hear them.

Thank you kindly,
Alex
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 03-29-2013 18:02
I found two Audel Pocket Reference books and posted them at my website.

I have only viewed the table of contents, and don't know how big these "Pocket Reference" books actually are.

The Audel Welder's Pocket Reference has the most process information, and the Pipe Welder/Fitter's Reference has the most math information.

They are both around $12.

I am an Amazon Associate, and if you go through my website I get 4%, at no additional cost to you.  Or, you can buy direct from Amazon.  They have a lot of other useful welding books.

Here is my website link:  (If you click the blue text in my book listings you can preview the book.  If you click buy now it will end up in your shopping cart, and you don't want to do that with no preview.)

http://weldequipmentreview.com/welding-books/
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Welding Engineering schools?????