Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / EN 287 and EN 288
- - By cj08 Date 02-12-2003 16:34
I am currently involved in a project that requires the welds and welders to be certified to the European Standards that I have listed. My question is if anyone in here has any experience with these standards and what they require. The welds are fillet welds and are automated, if this sounds familiar,any info would be appreciated.

Carl
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 02-12-2003 18:32
Hi Carl

Yes, I have had experience with these standards. We have always performed butt weld tests, so without going to the std. myself, I will not be able to give you any info regarding fillet weld tests. What in particular do you want to know? Do you have a copy of these stds? If not, I suggest that you get a copy. They are relatively thin, so they will not be very costly.

What is important with these stds, is that they are not nearly as fickle as the American codes when it comes to materials, (you classify the material you are welding to the relevant group number based on rules they provide) but they have other rather strange requirements that personnaly do not make a whole lot of sense to me. (e.g. They have very strict diameter and branch angle ranges qualified for procedure qualification.)

If you can be more specific regarding your requirements, I could possibly give some better help. (Will need to bring the code from the office though.)

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - By Tim Buyle (**) Date 02-14-2003 10:46
EN 288 series for approval of welding procedures :
------------------------------------------------
* fillet welds in plate :
test plate width = min. 150 mm (or 3x plate thickness)
test plate length = min. 350 mm (or 6x plate thickness)

Fillet weld test in plate qualifies for fillet weld in plate & pipe
Fillet welds for procedure approval are tested as follows :
- 100% visual
- 100% surface examination
- 2 macros
- hardness testing

Mechanical properties are NOT tested : for this u should use a but weld test.
-------------------------------------
EN 287 series for approval of welders :
-------------------------------------
Fillet weld tests :
- 100% visual
- root bend : this may be replaced by 4 macros (including one on starting or end point of the weld

Welding position is also an essential variable.

I would advise u to use but welds both for procedure as for welder approval.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 02-14-2003 16:05
carl,

You should be able to obtain a copy of those standards electronically at the website below:

http://global.ihs.com/

Marty
Parent - - By cj08 Date 02-17-2003 14:52
I want to thank each of you for responding so promptly to my question. I have always felt that this forum is full of good people and good information.
I have responded to you via email but I also wanted to publicly thank you too.
Carl
Parent - By G.Borst Date 06-03-2003 20:35
jou can look on the dutch welding page for info. www.nil.nl
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / EN 287 and EN 288