Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 on a 5 year cycle
- - By rmdrmd15 (**) Date 03-27-2013 11:33
Last November (2012), I attended one of the seminars in Vegas for the Fabshow.  I attended the seminar for the WPSs.  The instructor there, which seemed pretty knowledgable and expereinced with AWS explained the whole deal with the revision cycle changing from 2 year to 5 years.  However, he also mentioned something that there were problems and the AWS was going to abandoned the 5 year cycle and return to the 2 year cycle.

Is this true?  I checked out the AWS website and it shows that D1.1 is on a 5 year cycle now.  This really doesn't impact me but I am just curious why the two different messages.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-27-2013 14:17
I have not heard anything about returning to a two year cycle.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-27-2013 15:38
UUMMM...You heard Scott say something that I did not hear.  He did mention some things about how they were compensating for the longer process by putting out more erratta.  They were also going to have to do another printing due to the fact that they will be selling more of a particular edition. 

While I don't remember specifically, there may have been something about some editting when doing a second printing of an edition and possibly including erratta that had been submitted up to that point.  I see problems with that from a printing perspective but not as much so now days with our computer technologies that make printing changes so easy to incorportate.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By rmdrmd15 (**) Date 03-28-2013 10:44
I don't remember the mans name.  He was an older gentleman from Florida that was a professor I think from Florida State.  He was telling us some background information about why the AWS was changing to the five year cycle and it having something to do with ASME and another code book.  He was just commenting that all of the different parties involved couldn't all work together and it creating a conflict.

Just asking...
Parent - By TAC (*) Date 03-28-2013 14:32
Scott Helzer?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-28-2013 16:43
TAC is correct, the instructor was Dr Scott Helzer.  I was in the class all day for 'The How and Why of WPS's'.  As I stated, I don't remember hearing the exact comment that rmdrmd mentioned. 

Only time will tell.  Scott is pretty well in the know on many things and 'IF' he said it he could well be correct.  I just don't recall that statement. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 on a 5 year cycle