Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CAWI?
- - By kjessie Date 03-27-2013 18:34
What is it good for and who actually hires a CAWI?
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 03-27-2013 20:28
A) nothing?
B) nobody!
I would not even check the box to accept a CAWI if you busted the CWI exam by a few points.
There's bound to be some good reason to have it, I just can't think of any.
Perhaps a student about finish their AAS degree and use it as "fluff" on their resume for the job hunt?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-27-2013 20:32
Nuff said.

Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-27-2013 22:02
You guys keep forgetting there are two ways to acquire a CAWI

#1  Score low enough on the exam/s to miss the CWI but not totally fail.

#2  Score high enough to pass (possibly very high) but not meet the experience level to be a CWI

People who are in catagory #2 could be good candidates for any number of roles in our trade as long as supervision was cognizent of the CAWI's limitations.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-28-2013 01:22 Edited 03-28-2013 01:51
Are you forgetting that the CAWI must work within audible and visual range of a CWI?

So, unless there is an employer that needs someone to carry drawings, take coffee orders, tote a tool bag, and other miscellaneous go-fer work there are limits to job descriptions the CAWI can fulfill.

Enough of the sarcasm. There are plenty of opportunities for the CAWI. However, there are limitations imposed on the CAWI to protect the CAWI from running afoul of the Code of Ethics they agreed to when they accepted the AWS issued credential. The CAWI credential was issued by AWS because either the candidate does not have a mastery of the subject matter or they do not have the experience required to be a CWI. The problems reported to AWS usually involve situations where the unscrupulous employer assigns the unsuspecting CAWI to job assignments beyond the limitations established by AWS.

In many respects it is to the individual’s benefit to decline accepting the AWS credential, e.g., the CAWI credential, so AWS has no jurisdiction on the individual’s job assignments. No AWS credential, no limitations on the work assignments performed at the employer’s request.

Al
Parent - - By S. WINAI (**) Date 03-28-2013 10:03
Employer that hiring a CAWI better than hiring some one who qualified nothing!:yell:
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-28-2013 12:07 Edited 03-28-2013 12:15
You make a valid point.

There is a degree of snobbery involved with demeaning the value of the CAWI credential. However, as noted, there are limitations imposed on what the CAWI can and cannot do. AWS D1.1 does include provisions for the position of Assistant Inspector which the CAWI can fill as long as supervision is provided and the work is done within the visual and audible range.

I guess there is a valid assumption that an individual that has studied for the CWI examinations has to learn something in the process. The reason for not attaining a score high enough to become a CWI is numerous. The reasons for a low test score could include the examinee's difficulty with working with the English language, the individual may have had a medical issue on the day of the examination, whatever the reason the candidate has ample opportunity to take the examination again. If the problem is that the individual lacks sufficient experience, it is simply a matter of time before the CAWI can ask for an automatic upgrade to CWI once the experience requirement has been met.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 03-28-2013 12:33
Guys,
There have been a lot of negative comments on this forum regarding the CAWI.
Lawrence made a very valid point - high marks but a lack of experience is no reason to be looked down on.
As far as I am aware the ASNT Level 1 must work under close supervision of a Level 2 - is that any different to a CAWI working under close supervision of a CWI ?
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-28-2013 12:59 Edited 03-28-2013 13:02
Hello Shane;

As I stated there is a level of snobbery involved with many of the derogatory comments on the subject of the CAWI. However, since you bring up the subject of NDT the difference is that unlike QC1, SNT-TC-1A imposes few restrictions of the activities of the Level I. To top it off, SNT-TC-1A is simply a recommended practice, so the employer can assign the Level I work with little supervision unless the applicable code imposes restrictions on what the Level I can and cannot do.

If the employer has adopted CP-189, a standard, the requirements are mandatory and any restrictions on the activities of the Level I must be observed. 

Companies here in the US have been slow to adopt CP-189. As a result most contracts and construction codes still reference SNT-TC-1A. As such, the employer is allowed to do pretty much as they please as long as they define the responsibilities of the various levels of NDT certification in their written practice and the customer does not object.

I am an advocate of CP-189 and recommend its adoption to my customers. I make it a speaking point to identify the differences between SNT-TC-1A and CP-189 when given the opportunity to present at various seminars. The differences are significant and it is important to understand what you are getting when hiring a company to provide NDT services.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 03-28-2013 14:29
Due to the restrictions and ethics mandated, I cannot see hiring a CAWI to carry my clipboard like some rifle porter on a Safari. True it would be nice but if I were to hire an apprentice, it would be to my benefit for them to not have a CAWI so that I do not accidentally instruct them to perform an ethics violation.
It is much like having a driver's license learner's permit where the holder has limited knowledge and ability and therefore is unable to go solo.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 03-29-2013 16:32
Don't forget that the AWS has provision for companies to certify their own in house inspectors under the QC1 class, which is below the CAWI class and under the oversight of a CWI.  Are QC1 certs still available?  Would it not be better to have people coming up the ladder certified as CAWI's instead of QC1's?

I don't know if it is a gray area or not, but I once worked for a fabricator that had only one CWI, who oversaw all his "inspection deputies" that were certified as QC1 inspectors through his in house training program.  They completed all D1.1 inspections for fabrication work in the shop, but he signed off and inspected all weldor and weld procedure certifications.  They shipped work to AWS D1.1, and their customer's CWI bought off the shipments as well.

I think a CAWI is like an AS degree, whereas the CWI is like a BS degree.  It may get someone in the door for a job if they don't meet the 5 year experience requirement.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-30-2013 21:22
AWS QC1 defines how AWS certifies visual welding inspectors. It addresses how the SCWI, the CWI, and the CAWI is qualified and certified.

There is an AWS document, AWS B5.2, that addresses a method or system an employer can use in-house to qualify and certify welding inspectors. Like ASNT's SNT-TC-1A, it is employer based certification.

AWS D1.1 does not require the contractor's inspector to be certified by AWS. If there is a requirement for the inspections to be performed by a current AWS CWI, it is usually customer driven and has to be addressed in the project specifications. AWS D1.1 does not even require the in-house certified inspector to meet AWS B5.2. In the case of the latter, the Engineer must specify the basis of qualification if he wishes to impose specific requirements.   

Happy Easter everyone. Remember, the brown ones might not be candy.

Bet regards -Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CAWI?