Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Cosmetic Welder
- - By rmdrmd15 (**) Date 03-28-2013 11:41
Has anyone ever heardd of a welder that is unable to pass a code qualification test, that they are still allowed to perform cosmectic welds only?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-28-2013 16:57
Clause and verse....??? 

You touch any structural member with a welder and you need to be qualified.  Some people will come up with anything to excuse unacceptable practices. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-28-2013 17:00
No but I need one. I can pass tests but really don't make any "slick" welds.

Love to have one in my bucket! :)

Gerald
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 03-28-2013 20:30
"Has anyone ever heardd of a welder that is unable to pass a code qualification test, that they are still allowed to perform cosmectic welds only?"
Yes, but we've always know them to be either a relative, brown nose or both....
I'm glad I never have seen Cactus in a dress....
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-30-2013 02:00
I failed one in Macon Ga. They made me QC. A bit more to it.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-02-2013 14:59
I think they call them tack welders....
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 04-03-2013 13:56
Yes, I worked with one.   He welded like some people paint.  The outward appearance was fine.   We were installing deck framing, I fitted, he welded.  He just ran a 3" bead that looked satisfactory, so we turned to go do the other end.  The frame fell off and onto my leg.  His weld had only tied into the angle on the bulkhead.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-28-2013 18:03
I suppose enough lipstick on any welder can make him or her a cosmetic welder.

There's a few participants here in the Forum that could fit the bill. Hell, even Cactus doesn't look that bad in a dress. :wink::yell:

Al
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-02-2013 13:06 Edited 04-02-2013 13:09
Where's Cactus?

I thought I would hear from my friend Dwayne by now.

I see he posted a need for Duplex and Titanium welders under Shop Talk.

Best regards - Al
- - By Paladin (***) Date 04-22-2013 22:23
"Has anyone ever heard of a welder that is unable to pass a code qualification test, that they are still allowed to perform cosmectic welds only?"

Answer:
Inspectors:grin:
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-23-2013 12:48 Edited 04-23-2013 12:57
Observation: If the welder knew what he was doing the inspector would have no reason to teach him how to do it correctly. Sounds like you needed the inspectors help once or twice or you wouldn't be so intimate with the subject.

Moral: No good deed goes unpunished. If the inspector was wiser he would have let the welder continue doing it incorrectly and then he would have let the welder pay to have the work done properly by someone that knew how to do it correctly the first time. The best lessons learned are those that cost dearly.

I learned long ago that the contractor pays close attention when money is flowing out of his pocket book rather than into his pocket book. Trying to teach a contractor is like a farmer standing behind the cow with Willie in hand telling the bullock he is only going to show him how it’s done one more time.

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-23-2013 14:52
I had decided not to even respond to such trivial jesting as I have worked with too many contractors and welders who truly appreciate what and who we are as inspectors and welders.  They are willing to learn and take any corrections as constructive criticism.  Only the lowly continue to cast stones at those tasked with improving the finished product and making sure it complies with applicable codes to insure the public's safety.  So why did I change my mind?  "Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit."  I get tired of such nonsense from those who haven't a clue.

Go ahead, flame on with your own accolades.  And I don't take such blasting as jesting/poking in fun. 

Brent
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 04-23-2013 22:50
Hey Al, I learned a long time ago, those that dislike inspectors, are the ones that cannot weld. I can tell when I walk on a job who is usually a good welder just by the attitude shown to me by the welders.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-23-2013 15:28
I enjoy a good roast once in a while. There are times when it is well deserved. I like to dish it right back as long as it is in jest.

I try not to take myself too seriously because there is often a grain of truth in the barbs flung back and forth. Those barbs that strike true sting the most.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Paladin (***) Date 04-24-2013 03:11
Observation:
Two fellows, inspectors, teased (I'm sure with the utmost love and affection) someone, who has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, about wearing a dress.
I don't know why but the answer to "what is a cosmetic welder" just popped into my head. I thought it was funny. Still do.

It was a joke. It's a joke. Get it, Joke.

Moral:
It is less fun to receive than to dish out. I can personally attest to this.

For the record I appreciate the work inspectors do. I have never ever had a run in with one. If I were to set foot on a structure that Al has inspected, I would feel perfectly safe.

Never heard of a Cosmetic Welder. However I've seen, and maybe made a few welds that could use a little plastic surgery.

Lighten up my welding and inspecting friends.
We have much more trouble in this world to worry about than this little nonsense.

Floyd
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-24-2013 03:44 Edited 04-24-2013 13:18
I enjoy poking a little fun at people I respect and believe can take a little joke.

I also recognize if I toss a barb or two I better expect the same in return. As I said, as long as it is in fun and jest, it's good for a laugh or two.

Take care and enjoy the ribbing. I do.

Now who was the SOB that called me a ..........?

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-24-2013 14:30
Okay, I'll take that and admit to taking it the wrong way and thus apologise for 'attacking' back.  Uncalled for with the explanation provided.

There have been some pretty sharp attacks recently on inspectors ... no need to go on.  It was wrong of me, period.

Thanks Paladin. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 04-24-2013 15:53
Paladin

I went to apply for a Welder position a long long time ago for a conveyor company,(back in the early 80's).

The foreman told me to run a 1/4" Fillet using GMAW (MIG back then LoL) Vertical Up on a corner joint.

When I finished I had the best looking weld profile a person could ask for, fusion was perfect.

I got the foremans attention and had him check it out.

He said it was a good looking weld but not what they were looking for.

I queried just what they were looking for and he showed me a weld that was done with a weave so that the puddle ridges appeared as scale on a snakes back.

I asked him if he could give me another chance to produce the weld with the weave they required.

When I got thru with it he said yeah that is what we are looking for, when can you go to work.

I said I don't think so.

When he asked why, I said too much work involved.

They were looking for a Cosmetic Welder.

Also @ 16 years ago I answered an add for a welding position, they too wanted cosmetic welders for doing trim on vehicles that had been customized with bulletproof fixtures added.

My Stainless (GTAW) TIG was beautiful, in every position, but when I did the Alum. test my Vertical Up had some things to be desired.

He wouldn't let me practice and try it again even after I explained it had been 30 years ago in High School shop class since I had (GTAW) TIG'd Aluminum.

Marshall
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Cosmetic Welder