Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Fabrication literature
- - By 68Stank (*) Date 03-28-2013 20:50
I run a small metal fabrication shop and I was considering picking up the latest version of AISC Steel Construction Manual. We specialize in custom handrails, staircases and other architectural metals (mostly residential). Occasionally we will do some light structural work. Does anyone have this manual or perhaps an older one and can tell me if it would be helpful for the type of work we do.

Thanks,

Dane
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 03-29-2013 03:16
Honestly, most of the Manual is design stuff... the stuff you need, AISC 303 (Code of Standard Practice); AISC 360-10, (Specification for Structural Steel Buildings); and RCSC Specification, are free downloads on AISC website.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-29-2013 15:33
I agree with Duke.  You can probably get them cheaper, but, you really don't even need them it doesn't sound like.  If you know someone who is a member they can get them at 50% off for you. 

As an inspector, if I came to your shop to look at the shop fab of some light weight structural steel I would be more likely to appreciate your having a current copy of D1.1, 1.3, and 1.4 on the shelf and having at least a basic understanding of how it applies you your work. 

Personally, I think every shop should send an employee through the CWI Seminar.  Even if they don't take the exam.  Just the experience of the week of study and practical application would open a lot of eyes as to the application of the codes to each one's individual needs.

But, if you already have the AWS codes and want to add another book, that is a good one to have on the shelf.  Just don't leave it on the shelf...CHECK out what it says.

I have both the 13th and 14th editions.  I like having the hard copies and not just the downloads.  But, I'm an inspector and use them regularly and have to show fabricators things where I can't always carry my laptop out on the shop floor or up to the 10th floor of the building. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 68Stank (*) Date 03-29-2013 17:26
I have gone gone through the AWS CWI seminar and attained my Insp. Cert. so I do have D1.1. I am thinking mostly about taking out some of the guess work when it comes to designing projects. I will definitely check out AISC site.

Thanks,

Dane
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-29-2013 18:41
I did and Duke was correct.  You don't have to have an account, be a member, nothing.  Just download from the home page.  I did it just to make sure it worked and that everything was the most recent editions.  They are.  Get the RCSC (Bolting), Seismic, COSP, as well as the Construction Manual.  I like having my hard copies but when they are free I will sure add the electronic files to my computer. 

As to your desire, there is lots of info in there to clarify bolting connection alternatives, moment connection alternatives, and many other factors that may cause questions unless one has this manual for guidance. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 68Stank (*) Date 04-02-2013 02:19
Thank you Brent, I will check it out. I am planning on adding the structural bolting endorsement to my cert anyway so this is good info.

Dane
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Fabrication literature