Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GC's and Iron erectors
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-29-2013 23:56 Edited 03-30-2013 00:36
Suck Ballsack....just as a general rule they suck green donkey ballsack....Went way out of my way to help them on a seriously losing job....best customer $ wise..headache wise they are in the middle to lower end..doing end of job at a seriously discounted rate barely breaking even just to help them on a losing job..NO BIDS on this part and rolled me off at my normal rates...........spend my time (lots of it) to call in another fully qualified welder to work at these ridiculous rates to finish the job cause I got to go.....well our business relationship is done because of this......estimator owners son is mad cause I am leaving.   Well good luck.   He says I can hire a guy at $15 an hour fuel a bobcat and buy rods for less then  $30 an hour and get code quality welds done to D1.1.   BTW he expects to hire a fully "certified" welder that is carrying his own current papers.    WELL...despite the fact I am burning almost 35lbs a day on this job........     You will call me again because I am one of four fully insured welding companies within 150 miles and I have the lowest rates of all four PLUS only two hold the the certifications you need...... OK GET MAD.  Call me six months from now and see what the price is....you will have a reality check coming to ya!!!!:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Sorry a few folks on here will know where I am coming from....most will not.   FOrgive me....I had to vent because these guys spend a hefty five figures with me consistently and now we ARE done with each other....over basically nothing.  Had my fill.

I am fixing to tell 25% of last years income to go suck air.   Yea Im slightly upset.  Don't waste ur time with better heads will prevail stuff....I have bent backwards and tickled my own toes already.
Parent - By edjoeclarke Date 03-30-2013 00:01
things happen :eek:
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 03-30-2013 03:02
Sounds like SSDP... Same stuff different place... I have heard the same complaints from guys around here. The market is dead here and everyone is wanting something for nothing. Mining world is doing fairly good but it goes back to supply and demand, there are so many contractors scratching for work the rates are in the toilet everywhere.

You are not a fly by night hack Tommy. Keep your head up and hopefully things will look up soon! I hope a better gig is just around the corner for you!
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 04-05-2013 04:59
I thought the economy being in the shatter would weed out the people that had no business being in the steel business.   But it seems to have just spawned more.   The heavy hitters that knew what they were doing seem to be the ones falling by the wayside.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 04-03-2013 14:51
Know what the dog said when the train ran over his tail?
- - By Dualie (***) Date 03-30-2013 00:50
simply tell them you're sorry that you cannot work for those rates.    You would be loosing money, and unfortunately you cannot suffer a loss.       Then just wait.   they will come running back
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-30-2013 03:04
Sure Dualie,

Your 100% correct.  Unfortunately if construction is your game, in most parts of the country anyway,...playing dice will leave you in bankruptcy court.   Erection work is dicey and cut throat in this neck of the woods right now....I am getting asked to bid the same dang job 4th time in a row REGULARLY.  I need to diversify and take on lots of other avenues, residential, ornamental, ditch pipe....things are tough all over the strong will survive eh?   BUt from a pure business philosophy standpoint...ya time is long past for me to plant my feet.  I did things for them they really don't realize...not even welding just scheduling, material+code verification, inspection scheduling, fit up management.....those little details that make a job run right.  Well lets see how it goes without my input much less my arm and machine.:cool:
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-30-2013 17:25 Edited 04-01-2013 01:48
Thinking about it more the economy is still hovering slightly above and to the left of the cra_p_p_e_r. Contractors are taking jobs at deeply discounted rates and what rolls down hill, shyte. Who's on the bottom, us. That is definitely one screwed up job you had/have out there and your the fall guy it seems. Run you off now they have somebody to blame for everything. I will jump thru hoops for contractors, clients to help out but when it comes to discounts, my hourly rate is as low as I want to go. If you want to pay me less and provide the same then no thank you. I'll work long hours, do crazy ridiculous stuff to get to my work but my hourly rate is, my hourly rate. You've got pictures of the Arkansas Canyons out there, save them puppies, show the big boss who is p.o'd at you and tell him this is what I am dealing with. Since there are already bad feelings floating around might as well let it all hang out.

Doing what you have done in the last week or two as a wage slave I must tip my hat. Two days of that and I would have told them to go peck shyte with the chickens, then again, I've never been much of an employee! I know where your coming from though, just a pizz poor way to treat somebody that goes out of their way to help out another persons company in a tough jam, then they pull open the sunroof and whiz all over your head and have the gall to tell ya it's raining.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 03-30-2013 19:25
as much as I'm the first guy to burn a bridge I'm still standing on some times you have to go back to your side and wait for them to set fire to theirs.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-01-2013 12:52
Kinda funny this morning, soon as I arrive.  We got a few problems we missed this beam, got to get it fabbed up first thing.... 

I just asked " Did the owner tell you to pass that message to me?"  reply"Yes he said if you were not done before the end of the week we would not do business with you anymore"  (they will only let me work 8 hrs a day btw)   

I just said if I am getting kicked to the curb there is no sense in waiting for it.  Grabbed my crap got in my truck and rolled away without saying another word.  :grin:
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 04-01-2013 23:30
Thats what I'd of done.
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 04-01-2013 23:31
Thought you were goin to Mississippi
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-02-2013 16:20
Some worked popped up here.  Not much but a bit.  Got a chiller pipe job to do on the roof of a wally world starting next week.  I am looking forward to it after the hell on this job.  Dunno what will happen after that.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 04-02-2013 12:01
Following this post I delivered to a guy yesterday and man this made really sick hearing this. He had a friend with his own machine charging 35 an hour and i must have asked him two or three times are you serious he is charging that much. I said to this guy your friend is killing it for every other welder out there he needs to charge more. I guess what I have read on here so many time before i am actually now hearing about it down here. Makes me really sick how these company's do this **** and for the welder to bend over and take it, hell you could make that much or even more single handing here. I've read it but just never thought I'd actually run into it down here, sad sad.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-02-2013 19:06
Chris,
Take a look at pm I sent please.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By Dualie (***) Date 04-02-2013 06:27
cant say i wouldnt have done the same.     Some times the smartest man is the one that knows when to drag the F up!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GC's and Iron erectors