Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CLAD Welding
- - By RonB (*) Date 02-14-2003 00:36
Anybody know anything about this process(clad welding) I have never heard of this before?
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 02-14-2003 13:11
Usually in reference to a corrosion or abrasion resistant alloy on a Carbon steel.

You may have heard of it refered to as Overlay or Hard sufacing.
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 02-14-2003 18:24
Cladding is basically depositing a weld of different material over a base metal or substate. This can be done with just about any method commonly used for welding purposes. Cladding is normally done so that the whole component does not have to be made out of the material that is being overlayed. This is due to cost & or manufacturability considerations that would make the component too expensive or unable to be produced if the whole thing was made from the meterial that is being overlayed.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 02-15-2003 05:00
This could be referring to the method by which US coins are made. A sheet of the silvery stuff (I don't know it's composition) is placed on a real strong table, then a layer of the copper stuff, then another layer of the silvery stuff, then a layer of special explosive. When the explosive is set off the detonation wave presses the sheets together so hard that they weld to each other.
Bill
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 02-15-2003 12:30
Hi RonB

In ASME terminology, Cladding is when a sheet of one material is "attached" onto another. This is achieved in a number of ways. One of these ways is called "explosion bonding" which ensures that the entire contacting surface between the two materials is welded together. Another way is to merely weld the sheets together along their edges.

Overlay welding is when a layer of one material is applied to another material by melting it. Typically welding electrodes are melted and deposited onto the surface. For high deposition rates, the Submerged Arc Welding (SAW) process is typically used with strip electrodes, but SMAW, GMAW and FCAW are also typically used for this purpose.

Is this what you were trying to find out?

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - - By RonB (*) Date 02-16-2003 01:40
O:K if I understand this correctly? awhile back I was shown a sample that came from dupont that was basically a piece of mild steel attached to a piece of aluminum that appeared to be bonded somehow and could not be seperated! I guess this would be a good example of explosion bonding????
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-17-2003 19:44
Yes.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
P.S. Actually, it's the piece of aluminum (typical thickness 1/8 inch) which is attached to the piece of carbon steel (thickness 3/8 inch and larger).
Parent - By RonB (*) Date 02-24-2003 01:52
Thanks for your input Guy`s! Ron B
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CLAD Welding