Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Radiographic Interpreter Certification
- - By Revjsnizzle (**) Date 04-03-2013 12:46
Worth it or no?  Honest comments please.  My work is willing to pay for it, I have the required experience.  Will we still have to have our film "signed off" by a lvl III?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-03-2013 13:54
The contract your employer signed when they were awarded the purchase order will specify what codes and standards apply. I know of no welding standard that recognizes the AWS Certified Radiographic Film Interpreter.

There is a big push at AWS to have the candidates for the SCWI attend the training required to become a CRFI. Actual certification is encouraged.

I opposed the move for a number of reasons. The primary reason I objected is that during my entire career as a CWI or SCWI I have only encountered a handful of jobs where RT was required. Having said that I will say that my practice does not concentrate on bridges where RT is performed on a regular basis. The majority of the work I get involved with has moved to UT instead of RT for obvious financial and safety reasons.

My views on the program are that AWS has invested a good amount of time in developing the program and now they have to show that it was worth the effort. I fail to see that as a reason to force people to include it in their portfolio if their work does not involve RT. My position was, and still is, that the marketplace should drive the need to become a CRFI. If there is a need, the program will flourish, if not, it should be allowed to wither and go away.

Back to your question; If your employer or you view CRFI training as a benefit, by all means, take advantage of the opportunity. Recognize that the code you are working to probably does not recognize or require such certification.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Revjsnizzle (**) Date 04-03-2013 14:00
Thanks Al.  Suprisingly we still do alot of xray in the Train/Locomotive industry, customers require it on the first couple builds of the contract then it all changes to UT.  I think I'll attend the class and get the certification as it will get me my 9 year CWI recert as well, plus what can it hurt really.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 04-04-2013 10:33
Hey Revjsnizzle,
Get the training, and learn as much as you can, regardless of if it's recognition.  Company's paying right? :wink:

Is it mainly the underframe that gets RT?

Tyrone
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-04-2013 11:13
Tyrone,

>Is it mainly the underframe that gets RT?

My guess would be the wheels and axles. Although Krautkrammer(now GE Inspection Technologies) developed one of the first phased array UT machines for the railroad to inspect these wheels and axle assemblies a number of years ago. Instructor went down to the R&D department and fire one up and I got to see the prototype phased array UT machine in action while I was taking a UT Level II class back in Jan of 2000.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 04-05-2013 11:18
That would have been cool to see that prototype machine.  I'm guessing it's a lot more compact today?
Tyrone
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-05-2013 11:26
Tyrone,
The machine that I saw, looked alot like my USN 58L in size. Very similar to what I use everyday, except the transducer was much different in that it had multiple crystals and they were mounted within the transducer at various angles. My understanding was the logic/programming in the machine's computer fired the signals in some particular order, and then it painted what it was seeing on the screen for you in realtime.

They claimed that by using this machine, they could inspect the wheels and axles for fatigue while they were still on the train(no disassembly required like with previous inspections methods).
Parent - By Revjsnizzle (**) Date 04-04-2013 18:56
Sections of the underframe, yes.  Though most customers only require UT.
Parent - - By CWI7611 (**) Date 04-30-2013 23:05
Just a comment. I tried several years ago to get a certification for radiographic interpretation from ASNT. They told me I need to take their Level III exam. When I asked them how many pieces of film would I look at they said none. I mentioned that if I passed the Level III exam by studying all necessary material and attending classes and courses I could conceivably pass the test and not know how to interpret the results. They said that would be unlikely since I had to have so many years as a Level II to take the test and that I would receive interpretation experience as a Level II. I told them I knew of companies that were sending out Level II's to shoot and black box film all day then the film was developed interpreted and returned to the fabricator the next day with rejects defined and marked on the film and the RT reports. They said that could happen but it was unlikely. It happens all the time and still does today.

I also asked how many screen shots from UT do the Level III's look at. Reply, no screen shots. Brings into question the entire gambit of Level III exams doesn't it. Why do you need the entire Level III qualification when you only interpret the results.

I'm proud of the AWS for developing the CRI program and do plan to take it some day. Something that has been needed for a long time. I interpreted film for my former company for over 30 years with an authorization letter that I was their representative for radiographic interpretation. I had been a Level II when I went to work for them, in fact that knowledge is why they hired me.

I'll pit my film interpretation against any ASNT Level III, in my field of experience of course, pipe and pressure vessel welding. Never presented myself as a structural welding inspector.
Parent - By Revjsnizzle (**) Date 05-02-2013 18:11
Thanks for the comment.  I am going to proceed ahead with the class and get the certification.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Radiographic Interpreter Certification