Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AWS forum goer featured on discovery channel.
- - By Metarinka (****) Date 04-04-2013 02:40 Edited 04-25-2013 22:51
I'm proud to announce that I had the amazing opportunity to be featured on a new discovery channel show.  http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/the-big-brain-theory I'm hoping that it's a chance to put the skilled trades into the limelight and show kids that it's exciting to be a welder and engineer. Besides that it was a fun opportunity to abuse shop equipment, disregard every safety rule and spend other people's money on some of the wackiest projects I have ever had a chance to work on.

Check out the trailer and let me know what you think. By now most of yall know my real name and what I look like.

*edit*

They have released 20 minutes from the first episode, you'll see me in the background of just about every shot welding  http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/the-big-brain-theory/videos/sneak-peek.htm . Mostly just GMAW with 0.45 wire on low carbon steel.  Farm code was used ALL THE TIME.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 04-04-2013 10:44 Edited 04-04-2013 10:50
Metarinka

Joel

I knew you enjoyed the camera. LoL

Looks interesting

Good Luck

Marshall

It premieres May 1st.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-04-2013 11:43
Joel, that looks pretty cool! We have a "star" in our midst!!

Have to see if I have the discovery channel now.....
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-04-2013 13:30
Way to go!

Looking forward to this!
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 04-04-2013 14:43
Good Morning;
Looks like an interesting show. I will check it out for sure.

Have a good one;
Matt
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 04-04-2013 18:36
That's pretty Damn cool!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-04-2013 18:45
Make us proud lad!

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-04-2013 19:50
Some people get to have all the fun.  Congrats.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 04-04-2013 23:57
Thanks for all the well wishes.  One step closer to my life goal of becoming the most powerful welder in the world muahaha.. err, it was a great opportunity.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-05-2013 01:12
Go kick some tail on there Joel!!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-01-2013 20:55
GMAFB!!!That'll be a cold day in hell for sure!!!:yell::eek::roll::roll::roll::lol::twisted::wink::cool:

HANK
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-06-2013 20:49
"...all wrapped up in a pretty exterior"

I love you man!

Just keep the sparks and spinny things away from that awesome natural!
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 04-09-2013 16:28
I always had fun in the interviews, pretty much all my answers were like that.

Been welding for nearly a decade, haven't caught the hair on fire yet!
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 04-10-2013 04:24
You can come work the job I'm on, TV news cameras there alot. Supposed to have discovery channel there also, I hear. Me, I try to avoid the TV cameras.
Largest diameter bored tunnel in the world at 57 foot.
Attachment: IMGP0159-2.jpg (0B)
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-10-2013 05:40 Edited 04-10-2013 05:43
Uhhh Ctacker  this deserves its own thread.

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is the biggest drill head I have ever seen BAR none.  Please post pics of the drive when you can!

Really cool all the removable wear plates....I wonder how long that scenario will last.

Super Cool POST!!!!!
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 04-10-2013 18:29
Maybe I will start a thread. There certainly is a lot of cool stuff going on here. I'll post pictures of the launch pit as soon as I have a chance. There are two drive motors, one is for a backup. The Tunnel QA manager said we will get a tour of the machine once it starts tunneling.
It is not all glory, right now its raining, and being next to the port of Seattle, the water table is sea level. right now we are 80 foot below ground, in the mud. sometimes you sink past your knee's in the mud while walking around. I've seen a few people have to get pulled out by the machinery, The suction doesn't want to let you go.
Attachment: IMGP0185-1.jpg - The trailing gear (410k)
Attachment: IMGP0192-1.jpg - Trailing gear up closer (429k)
- - By rschreck (*) Date 05-01-2013 03:40
Joel, had no clue you are a fellow yinzer. Born and raised in Pittsburgh also. Currently living in Colorado though.
Parent - - By Jacob Reverb Date 05-01-2013 12:57
Looks like it might be a good show. Looking forward to it.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-02-2013 02:33
just rolled up and got in only 20 minutes of it left...gotta watch the repeat at 11pm...Joel your keeping me up too late!
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-07-2013 22:08
Is that the excuse you tell your wife Tommy? :razz:

The show does air pretty late, that's a network decision :-/
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-08-2013 18:10
LOL I have been working pretty late...I hope the "team" gets better for ya on the second challenge.  I will definitely be watching them all.  You are right, simplicity rules when you are on impossible deadlines.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-11-2013 22:04
Slip Farm Code in there Please, Please, Please,Please :yell:
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-12-2013 18:27
Hey Joel, I just caught up on the show. Seems like a lot of ego and fear of looking less than brilliant. My hat is off to you, I think I would blow a gasket working with folks who have decided that mathematics and equations supersede genuine hands on logic.

I wanted to climb through the tv and kick Joe in his narrow ass when he started crying about the smell of the drilling lubricant....!!

Ha ha...oh well, I guess you just have to go with the flow. I'll bet you get back in the game when they realise how important a welder is.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-09-2013 15:38
Do us proud Joel!

I hope you are reviewing the requirements of the Farm Code before you just start throwing sparks. There is a lot of valuable information in that code. Years of experience and hard learned lessons boiled into one concise document.

Good luck my friend.

Al
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-10-2013 16:12
All over torque on a bolt!!!  Wow you looked like you were doing the majority of the real work as far as I could see.  I disagree totally with those weight of shaft comments....it was a tube for the most part correct?  Yall had some scary thrust and rpm going....bound up in the launch device?
- By rschreck (*) Date 05-31-2013 17:07
Man, I started watching and was truly interested. Then the drama came. One of these days there will be a show that shows more about the tasks than the drama.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AWS forum goer featured on discovery channel.