Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 100Ft Candle Requirement??
- - By eekpod (****) Date 04-04-2013 19:19
We have a bet going on here.
Some say D1.1 requires a minimum of 100 ft. candle power for VT inspection of welds.
I say there is no such statement in D1.1.  We all went through it but some say we are missing it.
I disagree, I know there is that requirement from ASTM for MT and PT and even VT inspection, but not D1.1.

Please advise.
thanks
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-04-2013 19:56
Chris,

Don't you mean ASNT instead of ASTM?  For MT, PT, and VT.

And, Absolutely NOT.  There is no lighting requirements per D1.1.  But, all wise D1.1 CWI's carry their handy dandy flashlight at all times.  AND, they use it religiously to inspect every weld.  The light/shadow contrast is one of our best friends. 

AND, jus to add a bit, it is also not a requirement in AISC nor IBC.  Mainly ASNT though I believe there are a couple other agencies that also require it for some forms of inspection but not ours.

For the record, I believe that many of the flashlights I have seen used are not bright enough for the ASNT requirement.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By newinsp (**) Date 04-04-2013 20:23
Hey eekpod,

I buy and download code books in pdf.  A pdf has a word search tool.  Very handy for cases like yours.  :)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-04-2013 21:41
AWS D1.1: no illumination intensity requirement.

ASME Section V: yes, there was a requirement the last time I looked.

ASNT: I don't believe so. ASNT doesn't usually publish procedures. They leave that to the governing standards and codes.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-04-2013 22:03
I thought I had seen some in ASNT, but with your comments I just realized that the docs I was studying to prep for MT were not put out by ASNT.  So, you are probably right, AGAIN.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 04-05-2013 11:15
Thanks Everyone
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-05-2013 11:20
Al, many specifications/codes that I review for our work typically specify an ASTM# for the NDT to be performed in accordance with.

Now take ASTM E709 for instance that governs MT inspection.
Paragraph 7.1.1 Visible Light Intensity - <paraprased> Visible light intensity in the work area where non-fluorescent MT is to be performed is recommended to be at a min of 100ft candles.

That said, I think a company's Level III should set a min visible light intensity threshold and write it into the inspection procedures. This may end up requiring a way to verify light intensity, but it would assure that the inspection is taking place in an area where indications can be reviewed without missing something important.<---just my opinion.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-05-2013 12:53
I agree John.

I always require the use of a flashlight when performing VT of welds. When I write VT procedures I include a list of "approved" flashlights that I have already checked with a radiometer after "X" hours of use to ensure there is sufficient light. The procedure even includes a note to change the batteries periodically. I have found some of the newer LEDs are very good and they have good battery life, but they are far from being inexpensive.

Many shops I have visited have what I would classify as "subdued lighting." It is bright enough to walk from one end of the shop to the other without bumping into another worker, but not sufficiently illuminated to perform VT. Nothing beats a good flashlight.

Best regards -Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-05-2013 14:15
But they are not interested in your inspections being properly accomplished and when the welder is welding he has all the light he requires for his part of the job.  :lol:

I personally carry three different styles of light on me during the day with three more in my box of spare tools in the truck or CRV.  Haven't found a situation yet that I couldn't get adequate light on.  Varying types of lens, colors, intensity, etc. 

Cheapest one was $10 at the NRA Convention in Phoenix a few years back.  It has been a great little light.  All the others go up from there.  My wife hates it when I go to Cabela's.  But, I write most of my purchases off as business expenses.  :lol:  Flashlights, Leatherman, wind speed/temperature gauge, boots, toolboxes (pistol cases), etc. 

If I remember correctly, the lighting requirements when checking ducting/vents is equivalent to greater than 200 watt light bulbs.  Takes quite a light to do that.  But, you put it in (or out) and then look for leaks in a darkened area.  I find it easier to go inside the vent and have a helper go around all the seams with the light.  I don't have to darken a whole room are building that way.  But, some are not accessible for getting into for a person, even of my challenged dimensions.  And there are times it is easier to use the smoke.

Back on topic, There still seems to be a concensus that there are no lighting requirements in D1.1, or any of the D1, 14, 17 etc codes for that matter. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 100Ft Candle Requirement??