Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Base metal fall in AWS B2.1/B2.1M-BMG:2009-ADD1 Group 2?
- - By S. WINAI (**) Date 04-05-2013 09:17
Dear All,
If qualified PQR.  ABS Grade FH 36 to FH36  not  in  the list  of AWS D1.1 2010 Table . But still fall in  AWS B2.1/B2.1M-BMG:2009-ADD1 Group 2. So this can use  to qualified  WPS   group 2 in  AWS D1.1 Table or this  FH 36 is consider unlisted steel grade? I have confusing because my colleague said  it unlisted  steel.

Please help to clarify.

Thanks.

Winai
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-05-2013 10:40
K.Winai,
Sawasdee khrab.
No, it is unlisted - for some reason there is no connection between the two codes/standards.
There are a lot of Australian steels listed in B2.1 that are not recognised by D1.1 and require full qualification.
I have often wondered how one part of AWS can recognise a steel and another part does not recognise it ?
Obviously they are separate committees but they still all fall under the AWS "umbrella",
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-05-2013 13:43 Edited 04-05-2013 13:45
I am not claiming to be an expert on the subject being discussed, I am not a member of either committee, but I believe the base metals listed in and categorized by B2.1 are based on carbon equivalency (chemistry) and to a limited extent, by their mechanical properties.

AWS D1.1 groups the materials based on their carbon equivalencies, the need for preheat, and their mechanical properties relative to the construction of steel framed structures.

There are many steels available, but they may not have wide usage in certain applications. The codes do not usually prohibit the use of certain steels, but if they do not have a history of successful use the codes typically require the user to demonstrate they will perform as expected and will meet certain specified properties. Provided the minimum requirements can be met when a demonstration, i.e., a successful PQR, is made, the unlisted material can be used.

Anyone can request the inclusion of a specific material specification in an AWS code or even an ASME code if they can provide the test data that shows the material is appropriate for the application. All it takes is someone with deep pockets to do the testing and present the data to the appropriate committees. In Shawn's case I would think the local steel manufacturer's would do the necessary testing and provide the requisite test data to either or both AWS and ASME if the market (future sales) could justify the expense of doing so. If queried, I would not be surprised if the steel manufacturers said it was easier to meet the existing material specifications rather than going through the process of getting their materials approved and listed. That may change in the future with the increased importance of foreign trade between nations.

We live in a market driven global market. When the economics are right, thing happen and things change.

As for why the code committees do not undertake the studies themselves? Where is the economic benefit to the volunteer members and where is the money going to come from to run the requisite testing needed to include the multitude of foreign material specifications?

Shawn, this is the perfect time for you to step up to the plate and do the necessary testing and make the submission for your materials to be approved for use by the code committee of your choice. If you have the time, the money, and the desire, there is nothing preventing you from doing what is necessary to have your materials approved for use by AWS, ASME, NAVSEA, AMS, etc.

Don’t ask why they are not doing it? Ask why you aren’t doing it.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-05-2013 14:14
Al,
You showing your age there ?
We have been communicating for about 8 years now - where does the Shawn come from ?
I personally couldn't care less whether AS/NZS materials are accepted by AWS D1.1 - I am making a lot of money doing what I do irrespective of the code.
What I have mentioned previously on this forum is AWS appear to be shooting themselves in the foot.
I work exclusively in Asia for Australian employers.
They are placing billions of dollars of work in Asia - modularised structures for the mining and LNG industries.
All of the contractors I have been involved with in Malaysia, Thailand, Phillipines and China have their Quality systems based on AWS D1.1 but the Australian companies are demanding the use of Australian manufactured or Australian compliant steels.
As these are not recognised by AWS D1.1 it requires full qualification testing or changing to the AS/NZS codes to allow pre-qualified procedures.
Obviously cheaper for the companies to use pre-qualified AS/NZS procedures so AWS are losing customers left right and centre.
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - - By S. WINAI (**) Date 04-05-2013 14:01
Hi KOON Shane,
Sawasdee khrab!

How about if the same group of ABS grade Higher-strength Hull Structural Steel( AH 36,DH 36,EH 36,FH 36). Is this  WPS  can write for qualified FH 36 to EH 36,DH 36, AH 36? ( CVN  AH 36 0 C, DH 36 -20 C, EH 36 -40 C, FH 36 -60 C) my opinion is The qualification on steel grades of higher toughness requirements will qualify the grades of lower toughness but not vice versa.

Kop koon khrab,

winai
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-05-2013 14:21
Khun Winai,
If it is not listed in AWS D1.1 you must perform full qualification testing - irrespective of the chemical or mechanical properties of your material,
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-05-2013 14:33
Sorry Shane, it is early yet and I wasn't done with my first cup of tea.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Base metal fall in AWS B2.1/B2.1M-BMG:2009-ADD1 Group 2?