Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / -Equipment-
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-10-2013 03:34
Well, it's a start. Have been working with a company on some safety equipment. I've had many ideas streaming thru this pea brain of mine and have made several phone calls to places with the ideas, asking nothing in return and you would be surprised at how many places just blow you off. "We have our own design teams", "We don't use outside" blah, blah, blah.

My thoughts on some of this stuff is it has not changed in a hundred years. Same ole stuff, new year.

So, one phone conversation with the right chief engineer and low and behold he says, "that's a good idea". Yeehaa!! It's not super special, a tweak here and there but something that oddly enough nobody has come up with?? Similar things in this area are....dare I say it, archaic, after thoughts to protect but not very convenient or as good as things not used in our profession. In short, a few emails later and a few more months and my prototypes will be here tomorrow.

Going to run them thru the ringer here on this next job then abuse them more elsewhere. I guess I would really like to elaborate on what they are but I will have to wait. Just elated that one of the many manufacturers actually listened.

I guess if I'm still here posting in a few weeks then they actually worked and I did not die due to equipment failure!!!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-10-2013 05:32
Ummmm if you don't die:smile: I am willing to beta test those positioning lanyards!!!!  I am sure all said and done they will be a little pricey but that is way better then a freaking chain...really,,,that is thought up by someone who never got 5ft off the ground.  I was wishing for a good rig on that last job just so I did not have to have my feet planted on single rungs of a ladder....the flange of the beam looked way more comfortable to me.  I hear ya man, someone sure as heck needs to lead the way and get some decent real world gear going for us.  All my support man.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-10-2013 11:58
I'll run them thru this week. Don't want to be careful with them as I want to put them thru the extreme test but have to be careful not to burn up a brand new $600 harness!!! I've got a plan for the harness, just need to sit down with it when I get done and make prototypes for that. Actually wanting to take my rope out there with a "rescue 8" so I can play around a little bit!

Yeah, chain, it was very limited, thought up by a limited mind no doubt....:lol::lol:

I'll give you a call and let you know how they work out, hold up when I get done with my testing. :grin:
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-10-2013 19:52
Advice.

Stop telephone calls. Secretaries are always a stone barrier between you and the person (he or she) you want to speak with.
Don't attempt to send e-mails. E-mails are easy erased by just pressing the "Delete" key.
Enter the company's site and find out the name of the big shots. Choose one of them.
Write him (or her) a letter. The letter must be short, concise and direct, but containing the information needed for him (or her) make up his (her) mind. Beware on grammar: slang expressions, incorrect tense of verbs, typographical errors etc. are strictly forbidden.  
Send it by the kind of mailing (here in Brazil is called "registrada", I don't know in the USA) that the post office give you a receipt and you're able to trace it until it reaches its destiny.
Of course, he (or she) may through the letter out. But he (or she) won't do that. They will leave the letter in the incoming basket thinking "I'll take a look at it as soon as I have five minutes time".
After a couple of days, the letter is still there and they get tired of seing it. So, they take five minutes to reat it, even if they're in a hurry. 

Have you seen how psychology  works?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

PS: The result of all of that procedure, of course, will depend on how good your idea is.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-11-2013 01:07
They can have their stone barrier, I'll just do it without them! :lol::lol:

I've gotten past the outer walls and guards with most and have not been able to talk directly with the person only their voicemail, but left a brief message with my info and a "give me a call, I have an idea and want to run it by your company to see if it is viable". I guess if I got a call back that said, "go peck shyte with the chickens" then that would be something but they don't even bother with that so I stop bothering with them.

I've run these ideas past some others in confidence and they like them. So, it's up to me! Going to make a run at it and see how it plays out.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / -Equipment-