Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Renew CWI or go for SCWI?
- - By supermoto (***) Date 04-15-2013 20:59
in 2015 I am going to have to do my 9 year CWI recert.  I am debating on doing the CWI seminar to see if I can get some more knowledge but I was also thinking about going for my SCWI.  As of right now I probably won't even need a CWI but I always want to have it current.  I don't see where a SCWI is required in job descriptions.  Heck, I haven't looked really hard nor have even been told what makes a SCWI makes it a higher certification than a CWI other than it shows a minimum years of experience.  Is a SCWI similar to a Level III in NDE? 

Basically what can a SCWI do that a CWI can't?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-15-2013 21:33
As to what the SCWI can do that the CWI can't, it is more like... 'What is the SCWI 'Qualified' by testing to do that the CWI isn't?'

Check out Table 1 in B5.1.  It lists all the quals of the CAWI, CWI, and SCWI.

Since they are to be capable of directing the affairs of several CWI's and doing much more paperwork than a CWI, I would say that 'IN SOME WAYS' they are SIMILAR to Level III's. 

Check out the quals and see for yourself.  May be useful even if you aren't anticipating needing the CWI much anymore.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 04-15-2013 22:28
If you decide to go for SCWI, there is a lot of information in the archives of this forum about test preparation, just use the search function.
The test is a whopper.
It will take a lot of dedication to prepare.

Tim Gary
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 04-15-2013 23:36
I would renew the CWI.. If you do not, and bomb the SCWI test, you have nothing.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-16-2013 02:42
Read the material below to see how the system works when approaching your 9 year re-newal date.  You can view it in it's complete format at:  http://www.aws.org/certification/SCWI/  .

Every CWI who has held CWI certification for a minimum of six years and possesses the requisite 15 years of experience, is not necessarily a candidate for the SCWI exam. Ideal candidates for the SCWI exam have sought out opportunities to expand their careers. Senior Certified Welding Inspector candidates typically will have supplemented their basic education or gained extensive problem-solving experience. Such a background should provide them with a deep and specific understanding of advanced NDE topics, quality systems, procedure qualifications, and other SCWI knowledge areas as identified below.

Experience Requirements
SCWI applicants must document direct work involvement in:
•Design - preparation of plans and drawing for weldments, preparation of inspection procedures, requirements, acceptance criteria.
•Production - planning, control, and supervision of welding materials, procedures and operations.
•Construction - personnel supervision and fabrication or erection of weldments.
•Quality control - detection and measurement of weld discontinuities, procedures, supervision of personnel, specification of QC methods, review of QC programs of vendors.
•Quality assurance - specification of QA methods, review QA programs of vendors, and conducting audits of vendors.
•Examination - examination testing, application of visual or other nondestructive evaluation process.
•Repair - repair of defective welds or supervision of personnel performing repair.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CWI wishing to advance to SCWI at the 9-year recertification
For CWI applicants in your sixth year renewal cycle who wish to pursue and who qualify for SCWI status, you will need to complete an SCWI, CWI & CAWI Renewal & Upgrade Application along with a SCWI application.

For CWI applicants in your ninth year renewal cycle who wish to pursue and who qualify for SCWI status, you will need to complete a CWI 9-Yr Re-Certification Application along with an SCWI application. Your CWI can be re-certified at the 9-yr mark by either taking the Part B Practical Examination or by evidence of continuing education (see QC1:2007, Section 16.3.2 for more information). You may schedule the Part B examination at the same site location that you will be taking the SCWI examination. If you qualify for re-certification via  continuing education, the supporting documents along with the completed exempt application must be submitted at the same time as your SCWI application.

Applicants who are still active CWI's and are not due to expire for at least six months from their desired SCWI testing date, will need to complete the SCWI application only. If you are not successful in passing the SCWI examination, you will maintain your active CWI status until your expiration date. At that time, you must pay the regular renewal/re-certification fees.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 04-16-2013 12:09
All great info.  I have a year to think about it so I will do just that.

Thanks
Parent - By CWI7611 (**) Date 06-20-2013 17:18
I don't know if anyone is still looking at this post, but many years ago I looked at the SCWI as an upgrade to my CWI. I first became a CWI in '76 during their first round of testing and have remained qualified since. The first four digits on my certification are 7611, thus my handle. I asked AWS if I would keep my original certification number and they told me "no, I would get a new one." Pride is a terrible thing but most of us who do good work have a lot of pride in what we do. Anyway, I did not want to give up my certification number and not be able to prove with my cert number that I was indeed one of the original '76'ers. I really couldn't see any advantage to the SCWI where I worked anyway. Hell, I've lived long enough to be come a "Senior" now anyway.

Good luck with your choice.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-16-2013 12:35
If you are interested in pursuing the SCWI, do it now. While the revisions to the next edition of QC1 are not complete, there are changes in the upcoming QC1 that may not be favorable to someone trying to make the move to SCWI.

Al
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 04-16-2013 20:10
Well it would be coming out of my own pocket since we don't do any welding that isn't maintenance related it is hard to justify but on the other hand since I'm not required to even have a CWI it may be worth the risk failing the SCWI and losing my CWI.

CWI has become a back up plan where I work now.  I am trying to get my employer to pay for the SCWI.  We are a Steel Ring Forging and Machine shop that doesn't do any repair work with welding.  I am trying to get them to start making repairs by welding when we have laps or other defects that are open to the surface instead of scrapping a very costly ring. Then the SCWI will be justified :smile:

Do you have any idea what revisions may make it not favorable?

When is the QC1 supposed to be revised?
Parent - - By Michael Uriarte Date 05-16-2013 13:34
" ...it may be worth the risk failing the SCWI and losing my CWI."

Please note that failing the SCWI exam will not effect your CWI status.  In other words, if you don't pass, you can still renew the CWI on schedule.  Just give yourself enough time to submit the renewal application in case you do not pass the test...

Mike.
Parent - - By dringge (*) Date 06-07-2013 13:09
Excited to see this post. I am up for renewal in 2014. I plan on testing for the SCWI. I am looking for information on the testing. I have begun gathering materials and studying already. I love a challenge.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-07-2013 16:08
There's not a lot of information available.  They expect you to know it if you are qualified.  If you do a search through the info listed on the AWS Website under 'certifications' and then look up everything having to do with the SCWI you will find 'SOME' information.  But it is very limited.  It will tell you a little about the test, how many parts, how many questions, categories, etc.  Not much else.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Renew CWI or go for SCWI?