Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS D1.1 UT Inspection - Table 6.2 versus 6.3
- - By nedslaps Date 04-17-2013 17:12
Performing shop welding inspection for building in NYC.  100% UT CJP welds.  How do I know whether to use table 6.2 (Static) or 6.3 (Cyclic) tables for inspecting?  Contract Drawings and Specifications do not specify which to use.  Experience tells me to use 6.2 for a building unless otherwise specified by the EOR.  Any help is appreciated.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-17-2013 17:33
Your assumption is right IMHO. Statically loaded unless otherwise shown or indicated differently by the EOR.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 04-17-2013 18:49
Because of the forces involved in a buildings structure, columns next to each other may experience different types of loading.  I would be on the safe side and ask the EOR for loading specifics on each weld you're going to inspect.
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 05-03-2013 11:43
Hi nedslaps

I would agree that the information needs to come from the designer. Sometimes the drawings refer to a document (usually a drawing) that have standard notes. These standard notes could clarify matters by stating something like: "All welds are statically loaded unless stated otherwise".

Regards
Niekie
- By 803056 (*****) Date 04-17-2013 20:52
I always ask for clarification from the EOR when it is not clearly defined on the drawing. It is the Engineers responsibility to note the magnitude and nature of the loads at the connections on the structural drawings so the detailer can select the appropriate connections and determine the number of bolts or the size of the welds required to transfer the loads.

Any connection that is to be subjected to volumetric examination is to be specified by the Engineer. The only connections that must be tested per AWS D1.1 by volumetric examination are those subjected to fatigue and are loaded in tension and then only certain categories are required to be tested.

When in doubt, ask the Engineer.  

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS D1.1 UT Inspection - Table 6.2 versus 6.3