Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / What happened in West, TX?
- - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-20-2013 15:24
May someone of you, Gentlemen, tell me what really happened in West, TX?
The information found in Brazilian newspapers is confusing. They say that "a tank full of fertilizer caught on fire and so the whole plant exploded".
Fertilizers don't catch on fire, something else did. And how that happened? I hope it wasn't a weld that cracked and tore ..................
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 04-20-2013 15:55
Hello Giovanni, I guess they're still trying to figure it out.
I guess the question is, what the heck could have caused a fire hot enough to melt down a vast quantity of ammonium nitratre?

Check out this link

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/18/4238880/texas-fertilizer-plant-explosion

Tim
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 04-20-2013 19:27 Edited 04-20-2013 19:30
Giovanni,

It will take weeks, months or maybe longer before the results of the investigations are made public.
Ammonium nitrate has been the "fuel" for many disasters.
Texas City in 1947(?) with 500 fatalities was traced back to a dockworker smoking a cigarette.
There was another incident in Canada that was even worse.
I have been in one major explosion (propane leak on start up of  a new unit that killed 3) and I feel for the residents of this community.
In fact, several decades ago I knew people in West, Texas. Unfortunately, I have lost contact with them over the years. I still stop in at the Czech Stop Store in West for colaches (Czech Pastries) and sausages when passing through.

As is usually the case in major disasters, it is a series of (often unrelated) events that independently would not be a large problem, seem to coalesce into an ugly monster....

I have heard speculation that there was fire that created a BLEVE (boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion) on a vessel/storage tank.
Parent - By SMTatham (**) Date 04-20-2013 19:55
I agree on the time needed to sort this out.  Was a big boom at a fertilizer plant in France not that long ago as well.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 04-22-2013 04:09
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 04-23-2013 12:58
Not sure i buy everything that article is pushing. Any fertilizer company will have more material on hand than that. I have seen up to 300 lbs per acre of anhydrous applied as fertilizer.
Anhydrous is highly regulated after the Oklahoma City bombing. I doubt their distributor would allow that to not be documented properly.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / What happened in West, TX?