Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Documents & Downloads / A chart for Ambient Conditions
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-24-2013 18:03
I created this Excel Chart so that my painter can take his readings straight from the sling pschrometer and his surface temperature thermometer and plug them right in and determine quickly if the Surface Temperture is 5° or more above the Dew Point. If the conditions are favorable for Painting the chart tells the painter that it is "OK to Paint", and if not, it tells him "Not OK to Paint".
Maybe someone here will find it useful. I sat down for several hours one day and keyed in the Relative Humidity and Dew Point data from charts.(Sheets are named RH_Table and DP_Table).
All of the formulas and non-relavant cells are locked so that my painter can't accidentally type over them. However if you find an error and need to edit the tables or something, the PW is "paint".
Attachment: AmbientConditionforPaintingRev1.xls - new file with correction made (Rev1) (61k)
Parent - - By gndchuck (**) Date 04-26-2013 00:57
very nice I like that one, thanks
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-26-2013 11:41
I found an error...in one of the defined named ranges, it didn't cover the entire table so it only looked at data over to Column P and the table goes over to column U. I fixed it and it should be good to go now.
Use this file instead:
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 04-26-2013 04:04
Hi John

Thanks - Just know it will come in handy. Not only for painting, but also for GRP work.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-26-2013 11:43
Hi Niekie,
I found a small error(see reply to grnchuck above for explanation).

Use this file instead:
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 04-27-2013 12:14
Thanks!
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 07-17-2013 15:26
John,
Thank you for this information.

Not being knowledgeable about coatings, may I ask where you decided on Surface Temperture is 5° or more above the Dew Point?

Is this a paint/coating standard?

Thanks again,
QCRobert
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-17-2013 15:33
QCRob,
Yes, it is a painting requirement. Also many paint mfgs recommend not applying paint when the dew point T°F is within 5°F of the Surface temp.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 07-24-2013 10:13
We use an electronic unit so it gives me air temp, humidity, and dew point automatically, then using the IR thermometer to get a surface temp to make sure we are within range.
I didn't know people still used the sling psyphcrometer, the only time I used one was in my SSPC class.
Good luck
Chris
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-24-2013 11:14
Chris we had an electronic gage made by Elcometer and it was a nice one that did everything in one unit. It had a probe that you pressed against the steel to get the surface temp, and at the same time it gave you the relative humidity, dew point, and the ambient temp....there was an alarm built in to let you know if conditions were not condusive for painting. The guys kept damaging it, and it cost so much to replace the thing, I just decided that they could use the Sling Psychrometer and the magnetic surface temp gage alot cheaper.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Documents & Downloads / A chart for Ambient Conditions