Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Journal Article
- - By Blaster (***) Date 04-24-2013 22:50
Anyone read "A Perspective on Welding Engineering Education - Confessions of a PhD Who Can Actually Weld" by Yoni Adonyi?

Thoughts on the piece?
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 04-25-2013 01:33
Hi Blaster

Thanks for drawing my attention to the article. I found it interesting, but I think in a way it is just another take on the normal tension that exists between the "airy-fairy's" and the "nitty-gritty's". In welding it is probably more pronounced, because there are so few tertiary education institutions that provide qualifications in welding engineering. Most welding engineers come from "associated" fields, doing welding engineering as a post-grad study direction. Obviously some also come from the ranks of welders, but this is a relatively small percentage.

Regards
Niekie
- By hvymax (**) Date 10-22-2013 16:37 Edited 10-22-2013 16:45
I generally have little respect for those who have no idea how to accomplish what they are specifying. I have worked with some truely amazing engineers over the years who enjoyed getting out on the floor and working the problems out themselves instead of just throwing a tizzy when it doesn't work like it does on paper.  The article that got me was the one on the person who after 5 years of welding classes was given a teaching position. How can anyone with no actual experience teach anything? After 30years in the field I can tell where my students will fit based on their abilities and personalities.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Journal Article