Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / R stamp
- - By vignesh5585 (*) Date 04-25-2013 15:24
Hey all

I am working on R stamp job for the first time as QC and i need ur guidance to proceed further. i want to know detail knowledge on national board inspection code and how to use....ya i know its a silly thing to ask but i need a start...

cheers
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-25-2013 22:55
Regarding the National Board Inspection Code, you'll find plenty of information on:
www.nationalboard.com
which is the site of the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessels Inspectors.
Attention, though, it's information on what it contains, what are its purposes, what it's useful for etc. I doubt very seriously that you'll be able to download it for free.

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By vignesh5585 (*) Date 04-26-2013 01:55
hey crisi

I have downloaded 2013 national board inspection code draft will it be helpful to proceed..
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-26-2013 15:27
If you are doing a repair/alteration per NB then you must have been audited. If you haven't been audited then it won't be an NB repair/alteration since you will not have a certificate that allows you to do so. And if you have been audited how is it you got through the audit without a copy of NBIC?
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-26-2013 16:35
A very good question.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-26-2013 19:10
Read your approved QA/QC manual.

Read the NBIC

Read the applicable ASME construction code.

That would be a start.

Al
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 05-01-2013 10:45
Vignesh,
You need to find out if your employer has an ASME code work manual and program. Meaning, that to get an R-stamp your company would have had to have gone through a code review with the NB and your A.I (authorized inspector). If that has been done then you would have received a National Board Certificate of Authorization for repair and alteration work and there would have been an R certificate of authorization number given to your company. This number is also found on the Certificate of Authorization document. Your code manual would be the resource you would look to for how to use your R-Stamp along with part 1, 2 &3 of the NBIC. Part 3 is for repair and alterations. If you have all of what I mentioned above then your next call is to your A.I to review the work you want to perform. Your A.I is a great resource for you to lean on for direction.

Hope that helped
Jim
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / R stamp