Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Edges end weld buildup tolerance range.
- - By S. WINAI (**) Date 04-26-2013 08:39
Hi All,
Let said, if flange plate is shorter than specified requirement. Then we are going to do some weld buildup( Buttering) at the edge end. Can any one point me which page in AWS D1.1 2010 code have mention  about? (edges end weld buildup tolerance range).

Buildup : a surfacing variation in which surfacing material is deposited to achieve the required dimensions.

Thanks,

Winai
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-26-2013 10:33
Khun Winai,
Not 100% sure of your question.
Does this help

5.22.4.3 Correction. Root openings greater than
those allowed in 5.22.4.1, but not greater than twice the
thickness of the thinner part or 3/4 in [20 mm], whichever
is less, may be corrected by welding to acceptable
dimensions prior to joining the parts by welding.

5.22.4.4 Engineer's Approval. Root openings greater
than allowed by 5.22.4.3 may be corrected by welding
only with the approval of the Engineer.

Regards,
Shane
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 04-26-2013 11:02
S Winia
How much is the part short?
How thick is the material?

I have done this say for a stiffener that had a 5/16" gap when my max is only allowed to be 3/16" we would build up the end of the plate with a few passes grind it nice and square and install the part.  I don't remember all the specifics but say this part may have been 3/8" or 1/2" thick.
Parent - - By S. WINAI (**) Date 04-26-2013 12:49
Hi Khun Shane,

my question just a little bit different from u had answered. My question is weld build up to correct size in the End edges. When this edges unattached to other member or joint welding.

For example, if flange size specified  width 700 mm X length 6,000 mm X 50 mm thick. But when we do measurement flange width have short 10mm( width 690 mm X length 6,000 mm X  50 mm thick) so can we do weld build up(buttering) is this short area to correct dimension.

Regards,

winai
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-26-2013 14:45
I would direct this question to the Engineer. That's why they get the big money.

Al
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 04-28-2013 07:22
Hi Winai

I assume you are talking about the flange of a beam or column. If that is the case, then a 10mm weld build-up along the entire 6m length will result in quite a bit of distortion, unless you make sure that the welding is done symmetrically about the neutral axis of the flange. Even then, there is a potential for buckling, although I think that the 50mm thick flange would probably be rigid enough to prevent buckling. (Twisting along the length.)

I am not aware of any section of D1.1 that deals with this situation, so one would assume that it would only be allowable if "the engineer" agrees.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By gastonM (**) Date 05-01-2013 13:35
I have no doubt about buttered metal, because i have qualified wps of buildup carbon and hsla steels at free edges, but this is not a problem of soundness or residual stresses of own builtup metal but for the distortion introduced to the flange (just like when cut flange with only one torch).
If you decide to do 6 mts of buttering take care about sequence of welding. I agree with Al, 10mm do not reduce substantially neither load capacity nor stiffness, engineer should approve a reviewed drawing.
Best regards
Gastón
Parent - By S. WINAI (**) Date 05-06-2013 09:53
I have no doubt about buttered metal, because i have qualified wps of buildup carbon and hsla steels at free edges,

hello Gaston,

does u  qualified separate PQR for weld buildup or use existing PQR&WPS same as D1.1 clause 4 mention? I heard some inspector comment that i need to do PQR for weld buildup(buttering). but i cant find it out how to do this test. what is test look like. can any one  teach me.

Thanks,

winai
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Edges end weld buildup tolerance range.