Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Auto-dark hoods
- - By sparksandslag (**) Date 04-28-2013 21:43
From being a long-term lurker, reading and learning from those of you who have way more knowledge of the trade than I do, I suspect someone on here can guide me in the right direction.  My question is this:  what is the best value in an auto-dark hood for someone who is just a part-time welder ( more of a scrap-iron creator).  I have been using a Metalman hood that I bought from Tractor Supply about five years ago.  It is now in the trash can, since it gave me a good flashing and would not darken.  I found out that it has internal batteries (non-replacable) along with solar power.  I'm looking for one with replacable batteries, or strictly solar power.  Any assistance will be appreciated.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-29-2013 00:05
Most of the domestic, in name not necessarily manufacturing, auto darkening hoods have replaceable batteries.  Hobart, Huntsman, Jackson, Miller, etc all make good, reputable lenses.  They all have their strong points and weaknesses.  I do not choose one over another in most cases.  I personally use the Jackson Three-In-One hood.  It has a lock feature to set on 'Weld', 'Grind', or 'Cut', locking the lens on a 3, 5, or selectable 9-14 for appropriate operations.  The lock keeps the lens from fluctuating from light to dark during operations of cutting or grinding so you can see during the work performance.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 05-02-2013 03:32
Like Brent I use the Jackson. Indoors I like it and it works good. The thing I like most about it is the normal sized clear lenses that can be picked up anywhere for less than $1.00

When I use it outdoors I am not very happy with it at all. I tried a miller digital elite last week outdoors and I really liked it. Compared to my Jackson the miller was hands down better in every way. I would love to have one if I had the coin!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-29-2013 01:04 Edited 04-29-2013 01:11
I've got a Miller Digital Elite, bought it around 2009 and still have the original battery. A Ironworker buddy of mine had one and did not replace the batter for 6 years. I've also got a Speedglass hood. Both probably more than what you want to spend though. I did try a Lincoln hood a few years back, around $180's. Seemed alright but started flashing me for no reason. I know lots of kids at the welding school that buy the Tractor Supply Hobart hoods and abuse the dog poo out of them and they seem to hold up for two years. The bigger name brands will have the replaceable batteries. Don't be afraid to check out the welding supply, they have hoods priced within reason and will have an intimate knowledge (usually, but some welding supply houses are turning into your local Auto parts stores, no actual knowledge required of what you will be selling to get hired there). Plus they will have a good selection typically.

Like Brent said though, compare options. I like the Miller I have because it has the electromagnetic setting so if your sensors are blocked it will still pick up that you're welding and auto darken. Good for when your welding in ceilings on pipe among other things. All the controls are inside of the hood, another option I prefer since, again, my head is stuck in some really tight areas and knobs on the outside of the hood would likely get broken off. Both my hoods have controls on the inside, not sure if they still sell hoods with the knobs on the outside anymore but when I bought mine they did. Don't know if any of my blabbering helped,

Shawn
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-29-2013 02:36
Arc one makes some lenses that will fit any hood, they have some amazing features as well.,.....reliability is suspect.   Some of the best i have used have been jackson brand....for a full 4x5 lens they are on top with the boss lens but it is really pricey.  The next in line is a next gen from jackson but they have clarity issues that bug me.  The Miller lenses beat the next gen models all together....again pricey.  if you only need a 2x4 miller makes one for about 70 bux that is excellent...my day in day out field welding lens.
Parent - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 04-29-2013 13:56
I have used a huntsman AV 4x4 for almost 9 years now. In the last couple of months, the "goo" inside has formed a couple spots on the edges that don't go away when the unit is powered up. That is the only thing I have had trouble with, and the spots aren't that noticeable. I put it in a huntsman 951 big window hood. I have replaced the headgear a couple times, but no other problems with the helmet.
I tried a jackson helmet that would take the nexgen cartridge and hated the helmet. Never tried the cartridge, that may have made a lot of difference, I dunno.

Just my experience,

Chris
Parent - By cddolan74 (**) Date 04-29-2013 19:03
I use a Jackson, just because the wide lens works for me. I think its worth the investment to get a decent helmet, you will always find yourself in that spot that you wish you had it.
Parent - By Len Andersen (***) Date 05-01-2013 13:46
Ladies and Gentlemen,
    Lot of background and heard they are used in underwater welding. Any know about and give me some ways to make work better underwater? I hope this is helpful
                      Sincerely
Len Andersen weld@spemail.org
               914-536-7101   / 212-839-6599     8-4 New York Time , 4042 FAX , Co-worker 6381 / 914-237-7689 (H)
POB 1529 / NYC 10116-1529 ( $1160 per year Caller Box GPO NYC / Most Secure Service At Largest Post Office )
                       www.lenandersen.com
Parent - By high_flex (**) Date 05-01-2013 16:26
Fibre metal 10WP
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 05-01-2013 18:32
I have used a SPEEDGLAS 9002x for the last 6 years or so and it has never failed me once... replaceable batteries are cheap, and the durability is second to none
- - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 05-03-2013 12:14
Miller elite lasted me about two years i went thru several after i Broke my AO gold lens and refused to pay 400.00 to replace it.
I had a speed glass hood that lasted two days.  I was very rough on hoods. The miller was lite weight and confortable cover
plates a little pricey . Tried a Jackson bout the same as the miller. The elite has more sensors  so you dont get the off /on flash
caused by  a sensor being blocked  some of the cheaper hoods only have one sensor. pay tyhe money and get something Decent
you only have one set of eyes . oh yeahb thev elite is adjustable  from 9-12 and has a grind mode
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-04-2013 04:18
I got a line on some vintage ao lenses........
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-04-2013 09:18
"Cool Blues"?
if so PM me
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Auto-dark hoods