Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cordless Grinders
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-01-2013 12:30 Edited 05-01-2013 17:19
What are you guys using for a cordless grinder?

What is your experience with the different brands?

Battery life span?

I've been checking out the Dewalts, Milwaukee's and seems even Metabo has a cordless grinder. All seem to be priced around the same. Got some grinding to do on this bridge and really don't feel like dragging an extension cord up there so everybody can trip over it. I have to use a cut off wheel to cut some welds on stuff that should not be there, I use the word "welds" loosely as they only resemble welds. After I cut off the illegally welded materials, maybe 2" welds I will have to grind them smooth and prep for the 50 part bridge paint procedure.

We will be over the river for 250' so a tool lanyard will be attached at all times for obvious reasons. We don't have a ton of these members to cut out. On the west 250' maybe 10-2" welds. On the eastern 250' about he same maybe a few more. Will these cordless grinders handle that with two batteries? I thought about a third battery but looking at the cost of the batteries is also an issue.

An thoughts will be appreciated.

Shawn
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 05-02-2013 03:07
Shawn I bought a DeWalt a while back to keep in my gang box for the occasional this or that. When using it as a cut off tool it is as good as can be expected for what it is. As a grinder it leaves a lot to be desired. The battery life while grinding should get you down one side wit 2 batteries. One battery would sever all the welds with a slicer blade no problem on one side. The new 18v max batteries or what ever they are calling them are better than my regular 18's I am sure. It is a handy tool and I have been very glad to have it on two occasions so far and with the new longer lasting batteries it would be much better. For me I don't use any of my cordless tools often enough to spring for the new better batteries. If I was buying new now I would most likely go for the new batteries tho.

Sounds like a cool job! I look forward to the pics!!!
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 05-14-2013 21:57
Hey Shawn, get ya a EU2000 will run a 4.5" for 10hrs
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-15-2013 04:07
Hahaha! I have a generator, problem is I will be over the river, my luck that $2200 toy would end up with my cresent wrench and beam strap, bullet level......at the bottom of said river! :lol::lol:
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 05-15-2013 17:47
SHAWN - DUDE!!!! Are you tying off your own harness?
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-16-2013 10:42 Edited 05-16-2013 11:11
To be honest....most of the time but other times I am actually walking an 8" water line. I'm the lead climber sort of speak. I do the crazy stupid stuff to get all of the safety equipment in place for everybody else. Somebody has to do it right!

I also have to say that technically the dropping of the tools was not my fault, well, ok, the strap was. The cresent and bullet level were in my tool bags and fell out because of how I am climbing around on this sucker and the bags were just not meant for holding in the situations I am putting them in. The strap, big long sucker and clipping it off with 'biner's to your harness and it's hanging down in your feet, not what I want want while free climbing under a bridge over a quick flowing river. Think I put it on and during my climb it slipped out, heard it clink, looked below me and it was floating thru the air, then splash.....and gone!! :grin::grin:
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 05-15-2013 23:23
If you truly want a cordless grinder Hilti has the only one called a grinder http://www.hilti.com/holcom/page/module/product/prca_rangedetail.jsf?lang=en&nodeId=-532961 not a cut off tool.
By far the best cordless one made but be prepared to pay a premium price.

I use 6" cut off wheels frequently and cut off wheels have killed everything I purchased until I switched to
Hilti DAG500-D corded grinders some time ago. Air from the motor is routed through the gear box to aid in cooling it also.
Price for the Hilti DAG500-D corded grinder $199.99 with 3 year warranty has been well worth it.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-16-2013 10:58
I'll check into that. Hilti's site said that was discontinued though. They have an 18v "cutoff" in the grinder section but not the same. Think I'll have to call the Hilti people on the one you posted though and see if it's still available. I don't mind paying premium price if it's worth a darn.
- By Dualie (***) Date 05-02-2013 06:20
I bought one.   kind of useless.   every time i needed to use it went through 2 batterys to do the most meanial tasks.     Thats with my old Dewalt 18V.   I picked up some makita 18V Li-on stuff and a grinder.  havent tried it out yet though.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cordless Grinders