Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hole with Gas cutting
- - By Aakash Date 05-02-2013 05:21
Hello Expert,
I would like to know that why Hole is not allowed  by Gas cutting ?
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 05-02-2013 10:21
Whatchew talkin' bout Willis?   :confused:

A lot more detail to your question please.
Tyrone
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-03-2013 11:38
Darn, they need a like button on our comments!! :grin::lol::lol:
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-02-2013 17:29
Are you talking about holes in structural steel that were not made (or made in the wrong place) by the structural steel fabricator and must be made at the job site?
No Code nor structural steel standard allows to make these holes by gas cutting. They should be made by drilling.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 05-02-2013 22:45
G.S. Crisi,
    What is the reason for not allowing torch cutting on structural steel. I have be told that it's not to code, but it occurs frequently from my observations?

One more question. Is it okay to use a torch to remove most of the excess steel and then drill or ream out to size?  That is what we used to do at a rail yard where I worked. If the holes where misaligned or one hole was missing we would blow it put with a torch then run a car reamer through both holes.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 05-02-2013 23:52
ANSI/AISC 360-10 (2010) - Specification for Structural Steel Buildings, addresses flame cut hole in structural steel.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-03-2013 17:44
That's what I did more than once back in my days of erector engineer, but always with the client's approval.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 05-03-2013 10:58
Hi Aakash

I think we are guessing here about what holes you are referring to. In structural steel, there are often weld access holes / coping holes cut by thermal means, so it is definitely allowed. For thicker steel, or more hardenable steel, you normally need to apply a pre-heat before doing this operation, and there may be a requirement to grind off a certain amount of material to remove the heat affected zone. Generally you will also be required to grind / dress a flame cut hole, because it is a requirement that the holes are "smooth", without notches. Obviously there may be additional client specification requirements, but keep in mind that many of these holes are not round, so you would generally not be able to only use a drill to make them.

Let us know if this is what you are talking about. Maybe you have something else in mind?

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-04-2013 03:23
How many times has the language barrier foiled the attempts of humanity to bridge the gap....lmao!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hole with Gas cutting