Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Cheaper Post PT cleaner?
- - By supermoto (***) Date 05-02-2013 18:42
I currently use Solvent Removable PT method and was wondering if anyone knows of a less expensive means of removing Penetrant for post cleaning.  I currently use SKC-S cleaner/remover.  Our customers don't require anything specific nor do they even require any post cleaning as this is just something I want us to do before shipment.  I have previously purchased the SKC-S in gallon quantities but this is still a waste.  Developer is easy to remove but the penetrant is not so easy.  The goal is to remove the majority of developer and the penetrant with something other than the SKC-S and save it for examinations and not post cleaning.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 05-02-2013 20:33
I am not aware of any other solvent that has been tried, maybe brake cleaner??

But be aware whatever other product you use, if you do find one, is NOT used to PRE-Clean the parts before application of the dye penetrant.  The manufacture requires the system to be used as a whole kit and you shouldn't be using one guys cleaner and another guys developer and such.

I always wipe off the developer with rags, and then rinse off the parts a few times with a lot of cleaner, but your right it's not cheap, or very efficient.  Especially when you have areas that are not welded and the penetrant gets in between those areas it seems to never be completely gone.
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 05-02-2013 22:44
Agreed, you should not intermix manufacturers. I don't examine welded joints just forged rings so not much to trap penetrant.

I figured there weren't many out there that would use anything other than PR cleaner/remover.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-02-2013 23:24
Post cleaning: after the penetrant test is complete, i.e., indications have been interpreted, evaluated, and all residual penetrant and developer is to be removed.

Try acetone or mineral oil.

Al
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 05-03-2013 10:43
Brake Clean or Electraclean works well in a pinch.

Jim
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 05-06-2013 20:07
I will check into the cost of the acetone, mineral oil, brake clean, electraclean.

Thanks for the ideas!!!!!
- - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-03-2013 11:15
Is there a reason you cannot use water washable?
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 05-04-2013 23:28
The PT cleaner that we use at work is water soluble.
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 05-06-2013 20:06
I could but we are just not set up to wash and drain a bunch of water.  Our parts range from 20"-80" OD.  Since they are so large and heavy and I have a very limited area to do my examinations until I can get the space. 

The next task is to get a design for some sort of custom drain pan with a pump for doing fluorescent MT on the same size parts.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Cheaper Post PT cleaner?