Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / new hire testing questions WPQR
- - By Sticky-SC Date 05-03-2013 03:52 Edited 05-03-2013 03:54
Ok, I had a test the other day.
was told it would be on aluminum plate 3G an 4G GTAW,
so I get there, and its on carbon steel plate, GMAW 3G and a T joint overhead.
It was probably 3/8" plate with at least a (1/8"f"/ land)  single v groove.

It looks a lot like a D1.1 Joint (B-U2-GF)

Their was no documentation, WPS, ect. and I didn't have any tools with me, other than gloves and a hood. was told I didn't need that.
I asked if he wanted me to weld it in one pass, he said yes. I did it in 2 total downhill.

he cut another coupon in half so I could put a root in it. after I put it in. another guy come in saying it would be bent and back weld. he talked about code vaguely. d1 2, or 3.  he didnt know which one??? 
Im halfway familiar with d1.1, so with the joint designation above, it would also need backgouge.  not familiar with other codes.  I don't think it was to a code, I kinda think they were making it up as we went. no WPS. or documentation.
An I haven't mig welded in a few years, setting were close, but could have been better.

Oh and no grinders, "for the restart" or mig pliers, linesman pliers.   That's just some things I feel should be readily available to a person coming in off the street to take a test.
I didn't get to finish my test. they had another person taking a test that day also. " hour after I got there"  I think that's probably the rudest thing you can do to a welder.

so wouldn't the joint need to be backgouged not just backwelded to be prequalified. to d1.1 ,

any thoughts.
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 05-03-2013 11:20
Hi Sticky-SC

I think that if you did not have a WPS that explains what you needed to do, anything else is a guess. It certainly sounds like they did not know what they actually wanted.

We often have numerous welders testing at the same time when we need welders for a particular project, so I see no problem with having other welders test around you, but it sounds like they could only handle one at a time, so "shooed" you off to make place for the next welder. They probably had a number of welders scheduled at 1hr intervals. If they could not wait, I suspect that the third welder probably pitched up before the second welder was finished with his test!

I think that if you do not get the job, it is probably not a big loss. Better to work with a company that actually cares about quality, otherwise it will just be a frustration for you.

Regards
Niekie
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / new hire testing questions WPQR