Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / "Special Applications" and casting weld repair qualification
- - By brianglynn Date 05-06-2013 21:12
I am in receipt of a letter from a prime aerospace company that has informed my company the the AWS D17K committee has only recently decided that the "special application" clause given in 5.3.7.5 of AWS D17.1 does not apply to castings. If this is an official change, it would represent a departure from what has been established and allowed in the aerospace casting supplier world for many years. Is there any type of AWS official notification about this decision? This is perceived by those in our industry as a change, not an interpretation that has a large impact on how we are to qualify our welders, so I am very interested in obtaining all of the information I can about this topic. Any information at all about this topic and acceptable approval methods where the type of welding being qualified is actually representative of the type of production welding that we do would be very much appreciated.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-07-2013 02:09
Brian,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Go to the main website using the link below:

http://www.aws.org/w/a/technical/interps.html

Down at the bottom of that page it will take you to the official AWS D17 Committee Interpretations.  If it has been interpreted it will be there.  Your customer does not have the authority to make any such decisions and statements unless there truly is an official interpretation.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-07-2013 10:25
I've been away from D17 for a couple years but I doubt they have removed castings from that special application narrative.  The narrative was made with castings in mind..

For Example:   Pratt, and GE both have devised "special" performance qualifications for cast "Hipped" Inconel 718.  They have too much committee clout for that to just evaporate.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / "Special Applications" and casting weld repair qualification