Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need Feedback
- - By Welddeveloper Date 05-09-2013 16:13
I am currently developing a portable multi-process welder for one of the larger welding companies and want to get some real world feedback. This welder will be a suitcase style welder capable of MIG/Flux-cored, DC TIG, and Stick welding. This inverter machine will be a dual power input welder capable of 200amp output through all three processes. I hear a lot from distributors and sales reps but they tend to have a biased response. I wanna know what the guys in the field want to see. What would you guys use?
You can respond here or I have written a short 6 question survey that should take less than 2 minutes to complete. I am going to keep the company I work for anonymous until the product is released but this is your chance to leave your mark on the welding world. This product will be developed over the next 4-6 months and be brought to market at the end of this year. Just think, your input here could influence a welder that revolutionizes the welding world.

Survey:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FSN7PHT
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-09-2013 16:42
I haven't taken your survey yet...I will as soon as I get through with some UT inspection.

Just reading the description, it sounds like you may be targeting the home hobbyist due to the limited amerage(200a). I only have one electrode in my shop that could possibly run off that machine(5/32" E7018), everything else runs from just over 300a to around 450-475a and the all of the carbon air arcing is done up over 450a.

We currently have around 30 Miller 652 Dimensions CV/CC machines at our welding tables.
Parent - By Welddeveloper Date 05-09-2013 17:11
Thank you for the feedback. You would be correct, this machine is being targeted at high end home hobbyists or general maintenance shops. At least thats the thought...picture a small-mid sized manufacturing facility (non metal fabrication), this would be the only machine they would need to purchase to do most repairs. In theory, if they were welding something that required higher amperage, it is probably a repair that should be contracted out.
The hobby aspect would be great in the same regard. You could stick weld some mild steel tractor components, use the mig for thinner materials like autobody components, and tig for critical welds on small things. Would also make a nice addition to field repair trucks that already have an engine driven platform on board.
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 05-09-2013 17:12
Sir or Madam,

is this a serious request?

$500 ≤ x ≤ $1750. Where is this "MIG/Flux-cored, DC TIG, and Stick welding inverter" machine intended being produced? Foxconn?

Also, 5 remaining meaningless questions = Revolutionising the Welding World?

Goodness.

No offence, but you're sure that you wish to develop welding equipment?
Parent - - By Welddeveloper Date 05-09-2013 17:23
Thanx for the comments. This is a serious request. This seems to be a direction the commercial machines are headed. As inverter technology becomes more affordable, the rectifier based MIG machines will become obsolete and smaller multi-process machines will fill the void. Instead of buying a $400-$800 MIG/Flux-cored machine and a $300-$600 stick machine, you could purchase one machine and have DC TIG as a freebie. I realize the "revolutionizing the welding world" was a very overstated comment, but it was intended to get responses. And it has done just that, you noticed enough to respond.
Due to current technology, many of the technical specifications of a machine like this are limited, that is why the survey is very simple. If I had asked what amperage ranges a machine like this should have, the responses would have been worthless because current technology only warrants so much. I would love to make a machine like this capable of AC TIG and have a MIG range of 25-500 amps, but the technology isnt there. I am simply looking for any and all suggestions that our engineering team may have overlooked.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-09-2013 17:33

>I would love to make a machine like this capable of AC TIG and have a MIG range of 25-500 amps,

Amen...that would be the Bees Knees!
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 05-09-2013 22:34 Edited 05-10-2013 10:21
Thank you.

Good luck with your endeavours.

P.S. On a more personal note.

"I did just that in their short little SIMPLE survey. Much easier to take the simple survey than read all the rest of long winded BS replies here from you know who like usual LOL.".

How generous and open-minded that yet is. But finally I understand. SIMPLE Questions for (some) SIMPLE Minds.

All I can see here is:

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=236157#pid236157

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=236285#pid236285

LOL.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-09-2013 17:36
Survey taken :cool:
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 05-09-2013 18:11
If you push it to 275 Amps or so you might get a lot more bang for the buck.  For that matter what about 300A? Does that make the inverter too big or expensive?  Some of the similar units already on the market go this high.

And, what about plasma cutting?  Or, does that go with Stick/TIG for those people who want to jury-rig their units?

When the project is complete I might be interested in posting a review article at my website if you plan to sell it through Amazon.com
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 05-09-2013 20:22
I've been looking at multi process machines and other TIG welders but I'm not going to spend what they want for some of those when for near same or bit more I can get a better one that includes AC TIG also.  That is big thing I'm finding you really have to dig in their specs to find out if DC TIG only or what.  I don't want one machine down so not ever going to buy and keep just one machine that is multi process but still keep separate MIG machine.  Too many things go wrong with cheaper ones I've seen.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 05-09-2013 21:46
I don't know how much shopping you have done yet, but they do make multi-process inverter machines that output both AC and DC.  If that is what you want then you should include that need in your feedback to this gentleman.  The real issue is power capacity I think.  The Miller Diversion 180 is only one example that will output both AC and DC TIG/Stick.  I don't want to hijack this thread, but I do have a review at my website for this model.  And I intend to add many more as time goes on.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-09-2013 23:32
I hope you're not wearing that tie when you review this equipment OBEWAN!:yell::eek::twisted::roll::lol::grin::wink: Just Kidding my Friend!!!:lol::lol::lol:

You're telling us that the technology doesn't exist yet??? AYFKM??? GMAFB!!!
Now I don't really know what cave you just happen to have crawled out of but, are you for real??? C'mon!!! That technology has been here for quite some time already as OBEWAN has already pointed out!!!

When you say "suitcase size" Define suitcase size in dimensions! Or is that too much information to reveal??? Look, I may not be so gentlemanly like to you with my response but, you need to understand who you're talking to for crying out loud!!! We're welders here and that means you cannot tell us much!!! And so far you haven't except for the cold hard fact that you're not impressing me or many other folks in here with what you have or will have to offer as far as welding equipment is concerned...

You mention "inverter' but you don't describe what type, and you don't give a ballpark figure of what price range you want to work with and what sort of per unit budget you're being constrained to in your design features in order to justify your explanation of not being able to offer more in your design...

There's quite a few of us in here that have worked with many different brands of welding & cutting equipment and some of us can and have repaired many different types of welding and cutting equipment as well... So it would be in your best interest to reveal a little more about your design if you're really looking for some constructive feedback from the field.:eek::roll::wink::cool:

Respectfully, (For the most part!:eek::wink::roll:)
Henry
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-09-2013 23:40 Edited 05-09-2013 23:42
OK, maybe I'm a bit out of the loop sometimes, but WHO is making a machine with the capabilities he listed?
I'd really like to know.
I don't care if "the technology has existed for several centuries". I'd like to know who (and at what price), is really supplying this in the market today.

Fill me in.

JT

Just judging from the grammer, I'm guessing (?) it's not a chineese product. Also like to know that too. Can't support slave labor in a communist regime.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-09-2013 23:57
Miller, Lincoln , ESAB, Thermadyne, Kempi, Everlast, and many other manufacturers of welding equipment that's who! Take your pick on who this guy represents.:eek::roll::yell::lol::lol::lol::wink:
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 05-10-2013 02:52
YEAH YEAH WE ALL KNOW !!  Same ole Henry lol.  The thing is everyone knows there are machines like that out there but not everyone can afford those.  That sounds like what thread was started for he said yes geared more toward the homeowner type and smaller shop did he not ??????? :eek:  Everyone knows about those machines but wants one they can afford and will do what they need for their applications without breaking the bank.  You see all kinds of other china or foreign made machines but all the big brand names here in US don't make all their stuff here and haven't for long time either so it's not really comparing about brands anymore but what boils down to is what is out there that will do the job well for it's intended purpose.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 05-10-2013 03:11
The Hobart EZTig 165 is one example of a low cost made in USA portable inverter welder.  It will output AC/DC, but only up to 165 amps.  I think most of the Hobart units may still be made in USA.  I am not sure about Miller these days, but they used to be made in Appleton, WI.

Now, if you are talking about dirt cheap units, then yes, most of those are for sure made overseas.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 05-14-2013 00:49
Yes, I've looked at the Hobart EZ tig but like you said it comes up short on amps.   Lincoln square wave stick / tig they still sell and larger Lincoln stick / tig but was hoping someone would come out with something else soon.  The Lincoln ones I looked at are more suited to my needs.  Eastwood that has been in business a while that sells automotive restoration supplies has some welders & plasma cutters with their name on them but I noticed they did start going to using Tweco wire guns and such on theirs.  Those kind still bother me if something goes wrong down the road will service & backup still be there.  He posted the same survey and got some other good feedback on other forums as well with some European influence too.  Thanks OBEWAN !
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-09-2013 23:50 Edited 05-14-2013 05:54
Oh and Btw, here are some features you should consider to offer with your design in order to really boast your world changing welding & cutting equipment:

"AC TIG, Plasma cutter, I pod compatibility, 150 psig air compressor, Ice cream & coffee maker( Soft Serve:wink:), 3D printer capability to make specialized tools, An Intel I7 Dual Core CPU w/ 2Tb Solid state hard drive & 10 Gigs of DDR4 Memory w/ the state of the art Nvidia GPU and a OLED flexible 3D flat screen monitor!":yell::eek::twisted::lol::grin::roll::wink::lol::lol::lol::cool:

If you can include all of those features in your design, I think you'll have a whole bunch of orders!!! So much so that your backlog will be @ least 6 months! And if you include a 3D Hologram in your deluxe model with a CNC then the sky's the limit:eek::roll::yell::twisted::grin::lol::lol::lol::wink::cool:!!!

Henry
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-10-2013 00:18
OK, so I'm a dummy, who makes a suitcase box (and welders understand "suitcase" but rant on if it makes you happy) that runs hard wire/FC wire, tig and stick?

I like to think I'm pretty caught up : ) but maybe I'm not. I see inverters that will run all of the above with significant  and various add ons, I don't see any that just do that.

So be specific, I'm slightly slow I guess. Leave out the rant, just provide the info, please.

JT
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-10-2013 10:49 Edited 05-10-2013 11:08
You are right JTMcC.   Just ignore the blather.

NOBODY makes a CC/CV suitcase that can run both Squarewave GTAW AC for aluminum and solid wire GMAW with true CV.  Nobody!    They would sell only half as many power supplies as they currently do.....  Scoobie Doo could solve this mystery.

Now to the original poster... Go ahead and make your little 3 in 1 machine... Woops... Thermadyne already calls their multi process suitcase the 3 in 1.......

Seriously....  If you want to seperate yourself from the many folks already doing what you want to do...  You need to produce 225 amps or so at 25 or 26 volts... Enough power to produce spray transfer with .035 solid wire and 90/10  Ar/C02 gas.    If you do this you will seperate yourself from the rest of the folks doing exactly what your doing.

Forget the survey ... I have answered your question about the dark magic of suit case welders and what you need to produce in order to set yourself apart.   

1 Spray Transfer GMAW
2. AC Squarewave GTAW and GMAW from the same box..

Special Thanks to Electrode for his semi-annual visit to the forum.. confirmation of the European stereotype, of one who complains in great abundance but produces nothing (beyond the complaints) as the rest of the nations on the face of the earth pass them by... Sleep on Europe!!!!..  We welcome special guest stars... We would call him a contributing professor if only he would contribute something.

:::::::::Drops mic and leaves the building
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 05-10-2013 11:37
And my special thanks to you, Sir.

Just for the notes.

I have made my comments but it was I who was harshly offended by one particular individual.

Hence, I did edit my genuine response, which I suggest you did not read in its original form.

I am way of offending anyone in here nor to producing nothing beyond the complaints. Just trying to point out my perception and not dumb enough to bear any rude behaviour or insult.

Anyway, it will be hard for us European AWS Members to remain sleeping when those who wish us to sleep on are permanently screaming (i.e. !!!!) at us.

By the way. Good response from yourself in technical terms, at least in my "European" opinion.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-10-2013 13:18
Come on Electrode you have to agree with me.

What energy, dedication, creativity or innovation has come out of the EU in the last 20 years other than the continuing motivation to restrict, reduce, confine, or control, processes, industries, and nations who are succseeding.

The morbund,University driven EU places all their talent and authority the Universities and colleges, who produce nothing but dire warnings and the proposal of restrictions on the acutual productive work of others.

Nobody is screaming

We wish Europe will sleep, (When I say "We" I mean not just the U.S. but Asia, Mid-east, South America and Africa) because we are convinced they will not repent, and go back to the former ways of excellence in craftsmanship.  The Educated elite beureau's run them now.

I do so much enjoy your infrequent visits...  I love the way you put your words down Electrode.  If only you used your power for the forces of good   :)
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 05-10-2013 17:16
Lawrence,

to quote from one of OBEWAN's posts here.

"I don't want to hijack this thread".

Neither the OP nor the subject deserve that.

However, hard to disagree with you on the "European" style.

Those who gain the real big benefit from it, have created a monster.

A bureaucratic molech to be fed by the European general public. That is to say.

They even dictate the cucumber's maximum curvature radii.

No disagreement hence, since I'm afraid you're right with what you're saying.

A thanks moreover, for generous and open-minded reasoning.

And, not to forget, thank you for the final 3 sentences in your response.

Greatly appreciate these.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-10-2013 17:36 Edited 05-10-2013 17:38
Heh.... Don't worry about hijacking the thread...

He has what he needs  (said the arrogant know-it-all)

And keep in mind I'm only having some fun at your expense!   We have plenty of folks here that look to do the same thing here.   I sometimes wonder how the Canadians have such an excellent welding buearu while being a government agency.  Something everybody should look at.

"Molech"  Very good!     (Leviticus 18:21 )

Cheers!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-10-2013 18:58 Edited 05-10-2013 20:20
Hey Larry...

I'm speechless!!!

Seriously, It would be nice to have both CC & CV capability as well as AC square wave or DC GTAW capability all in one portable "suit case" type of package without the need of pulse or any other rarely used feature... However, this gentleman is only offering DC only which is what's already out there from quite a few manufacturers...

From the OP in this thread: "This welder will be a suitcase style welder capable of MIG/Flux-cored, DC TIG, and Stick welding."

Now as far as responding to the complaints from some in here - it's too bad that you all don't appreciate some of my comments... I mean what can I say other than this...
Tough nuggies! And get a life already! Who's criticizing who in here??? It's pointless to go any further unless you want to waste your time any more than you already have.
Besides, I don't come here to please anyone in particular so just ignore if you don't like what I have to say.

P.S. Europe... Such a tranquil region ... Of total chaos and anarchy these days with all those riots going on in just about every country within the so-called union - yeah right!
You can keep your bold economic & philosophical ways of thinking to yourselves thank you.:eek::yell::twisted::lol::lol::lol::wink:

HENRY
Parent - - By Welddeveloper Date 05-10-2013 19:51
We havent ruled out AC TIG...or HF start TIG, it just adds a lot of cost and weight. Engineering is trying to determine the feasability of adding AC TIG without adding $400 to the cost of the machine.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-10-2013 20:26
Well then on that note, your added detail which I appreciate... It brings me back to a previous post where I ask the question of what type of price range are you working with, and are your purchasing requirements for the component parts to be used in your design limited to only certain suppliers?

HENRY
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-11-2013 01:14 Edited 05-11-2013 17:25
Henry
"Seriously, It would be nice to have both CC & CV capability as well as AC square wave or DC GTAW capability all in one portable "suit case" type of package without the need of pulse or any other rarely used feature... However, this gentleman is only offering DC only which is what's already out there from quite a few manufacturers..."

EXACTLY! That market is getting very competitive as it is an fairly easy design from an electronics standpoint to replicate.  The most difficult part is the control system which requires a little development.   I will say if someone offered a all in one AC/DC CC/CV power source with a good high duty cycle in a 70lb or so rig at 250 amps....well it would sell....after reliability was proven it would sell great.   you can add the bells and whistles like pulse and programmable after the fact. 

Of course you can just go down the street and buy a dynasty instead ....dummy me.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-12-2013 21:39
I don't know Tommy but, I did check the current Miller offerings and none of the dynasty models they have for sale are CC/CV power sources:eek::roll::lol::wink:.
I think they're all CC power sources only nowadays.:wink:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-11-2013 12:30 Edited 05-11-2013 12:35
Henry... I do appreciate all your comments...  It fills me with happiness every time you post..  "seriously"

But, old friend.. I don't alway agree!

Furthermore I have my own selfish agenda sometimes...  In this case it is manipulating this OP to make the machine everybody would love to have.

CC/CV GMAW/FCAW DC Tig?   No problem   There are at least 5 of these on the market right now as we speak... This is technology that has been on the sales floor for 20 years.

CC/CV  GMAW/FCAW  AC/DC Tig...?    Even this goldmine of a power supply is on the market and has been for over 10 years....  Where is that Lar?   you ask.... Show me you arrogant bastage!    

Ok   The Miller Trailblazer 302!  (Same inverter power supply found in XMT)  This puppy has  SMAW/GTAW DCEN and AC GTAW (add optional HF box)   Plus it can power a CC/CV suitcase..... The work is done my old friend!

All we need to do is get the original poster of this thread to reduce the size of this type of unit, add the features to the machine we want  (HF, squarewave, & freq) and put it in a box with a $2000 price tag.

Is that asking a lot?   You bet it is... So what?    My experience is that people who ask a lot and find the right people to ask, are the ones who have the cool stuff.

I ignored the OP's original posting words about GTAW DCEN......  Because in my arrogance I believe I know better than he does what the market needs... Did you see how he changed his tune in a later post?  He has a labrotory full of wizards, copper and silicon chips... If he gets it into his head that my idea is better than his idea... He will take my idea and in the time it takes to send an email back to Korea that team will be developing my machine...... Bless their hearts and give them all the credit when it gets done... I just want one in my garage.

Don't be speechless Henry!  Go for it!
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 05-11-2013 14:21
Maybe someone needs to do a statistical study using the Google Adwords tool to see what people are searching for.  It is a simple task and free.  That way we would know the total number of searches both local and worldwide for any given set of keyword inputs.  And, if this guy plans to sell on Amazon.com, it is a world wide market.  (Sorry, don't want to hijack the thread).  LOL
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-12-2013 20:30 Edited 05-14-2013 06:03
Oh I know about the Miller system, and I use the word "system" as opposed to "unit" because as a single standard "unit" alone, it doesn't offer the capability of GMAW/FCAW included within the "unit" as standard instead... Miller only offers it as an optional, and separate piece of equipment... The same goes for the optional HF box also... Another piece of equipment as opposed to an integrated component that's part of the "unit"... And, is the output truly CV?

I remember when those suitcase GMAW/FCAW wire feeders first came out from Miller all too well because I used to run around the greater New York Metropolitan Region demonstrating them along with the SP-32's and Thermal Arc PAK 5's & 10's and a bunch of other equipment to a very diverse bunch of older and potentially new customers mostly from the back of the company's demonstration van, and I helped to sell quite a few of them as well as perform some warranty repairs since I was a factory authorized repair man for both Miller and Thermal Arc... Yep! I know those suitcase type CC/CV wire feeders even if they did change a bit since the eighties. :eek::lol::wink::cool:

Another words, It's like a nice desktop but, it doesn't come standard with extra hard drives even though it has the capability to accept more than one hard drive... And it has the capability to have liquid cooling but, that's an optional feature item and not part of the standard unit...It doesn't have a built-in laser printer/scanner/copier or an integrated HD monitor either, but you can get those items as an optional, separate piece of equipment to add on as part of a desktop system as opposed to the desktop unit alone...

What both of us want is what you described which is to incorporate the guts of the separate suitcase GMAW/FCAW unit by getting rid of the suitcase... And then incorporate HF,square wave, pulse on pulse which would mean that the motherboard has to be redesigned along with some other components either to be added,or to be replaced with suitable components that will facilitate the integration of the features we desire... And some additional space would possibly be required (Not much) in order to safely cool and enclose all of this into one awesome unit!!! Heck, It could also have the capability of adding optional equipment like a portable air compressor, a plasma cutter, an expresso coffee maker, a soft serve ice cream maker and a flexible OLED flat screen 90" television/monitor with top of the line audio components built right in!!! I believe the correct terminology is "scalability."

Finally, if this company can come up with the base unit with the standard features I described above and price to around $2K to $2500, I would buy one! :twisted::lol::wink:
Oh and one more requirement that's a must! This unit must be made in the USA:yell::eek::twisted::lol::cool:

Everything that the Asians have going for them now was stolen by them from us in the first place Larry! All their advances in electronics come from what they stole from silicon valley & the Boston corridor with all these foreign students studying here since the Seventies for crying out loud!!! I'm tired of seeing the innovation that originally started here go to Asia because they can do it cheaper!!! I still think we can do it better here and I'm willing to pay more to support that sort of change from the status quo!

This is what we want and this is what you need to come up with Weldeveloper. :lol:
Thanks for reminding me of those good old days Larry!:lol::wink::cool:

Respectfully, (For the most part! :roll:)
Henry
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-12-2013 21:15
A Trailblazer 302?

That's an engine driven welder Larry! It's not what Weldeveloper's talking about!:roll::lol::eek::wink:

Now if they could get most of the circuitry out of that unit that's relevant to producing all of the processes from the trailblazer 302 without the engine, and add a separate power inverter to run it... And wrap all of that up with an appropriate sized enclosure that can withstand multiple impacts for portability... And yet have enough room inside to incorporate a cooling system that could properly cool all of the guts inside then we may have something to drool at!:twisted::eek::lol::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-13-2013 01:09 Edited 05-13-2013 01:13
I don't know how to explain it any better Henry.

The Trailblazer 302 has the same *inverter* power supply=guts, as the XMT (or the 350P for that matter)... I said that once already.  Who cares if its engine driven?...The engine just supplies 60Hz AC...... I diddn't mention Powerwave, or Invision because although they have CC/CV inverters they do not produce AC SMAW (although they could)

The Suitcase is just a bloody wire feeder... The L'ectricity comes from the trailblazer (WHICH IS AN XMT as far as guts go)

High freq box is an option..  But could be integrated by any crafty engineer.   Squarewave?  What's stopping them other than archetecture?   Frankly with a quality inverter HF is not even required (Dynasty) a capacitor discharge can start the arc and no superimposed High Freq is needed across the zero point.

All the technology is there in various inverter power supplies... Eggheads are making the components, Eproms, boards, circuits etc. smaller and smaller every day... 

What we want is totally doable...  Price, thats another matter.  I would pay some money for a machine that could do it all.

Made in the U.S.A.....  Again  Who cares!    If they make it in Outer Mongolia the American Players will take notice and make something to compete!    If not for Asian progressive technology we would NOT be seeing the advances in Miller and Lincoln that we do....   And I'll even throw the Euro's a bone and state that Fronius makes the best GMAW power supply on the face of the earth and Miller has really gone to school to duplicate their technology (with some good succsess)
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-13-2013 23:54 Edited 05-14-2013 06:08
C'mon Larry! The inverter is only part of the power supply which is only part of the "guts..." You still need all of the other associated components that control, condition, step down  & rectify, etc. and, other components that allow for AC square wave output as well as a variety of other features that an XMT or a 350P simply doesn't offer... Besides, the only maker of small engine driven portable power sources that were capable of being carried into most confined spaces, or locations where to hook up to a larger engine drive would not be practical were the Italian "Buco" gas drive really small portable welders which I personally sold a pallet full of them to the NYC Transit Authority for their field elevated platform and track maintenance & repair crews but the last time I checked, nobody sells anything like those puppies anymore...

Then there's the fact that most hobbyists/small sized maintenance shops will not initially purchase an engine drive as their first welding power supply as the stats show because they don't need one for their situation even though that could also change in a very short period of time which would indeed make it a more prudent choice to make when deciding to purchase equipment for an expanding entity...

Oh and you mentioned Fronius which is probably true in certain respects but, have you ever run any OTC Daihen CO2 GMAW equipment? They're not too shabby as well but that's a different topic so I won't go into that one any further since I would rather point something about my experience that's relevant to this discussion that you may have overlooked... Then again, I don't bring this up that often anymore to remind anyone of my own diverse experience with welding equipment...

In fact everything that you point in greater detail compared to your previous post, I have been aware of for many moons and, may I remind you again that I was repairing this type of equipment as a factory authorized welding equipment repairman certified by the same Miller folks from Appleton, WI before you ever laid eyes to the "guts" of any of these power sources, or engine drives as well as all of the associated optional component& kits for the four major arc welding processes including all of their wire feeders, guns, torches, hoses, regulators, etc. that they and other manufacturers offer including portable wire feeders such as the Miller S32P & S model portable CC/CV units also...

I installed. repaired & upgraded hundreds of Miller power sources as well as their associated accessories  & optional components & kits since 1984... And I remember when the inverters first came out before Miller or Lincoln or L-Tech had their first puppies out in the market while demonstrating them back in the early eighties when they first were being sold worldwide, and also performing factory authorized warranty repairs in the older Pow Con units like the  300, 400 and 500 SM's & ST's as well as the Plasma Plus power sources  which were probably the first multi-process & plasma cutting power supply sold world wide... Hint-hint to Welddeveloper to securing access to their service manuals to give you some ideas for your design!:yell::eek::yell::eek::roll::twisted::lol::wink::cool: 

So I'm very aware of Inverter technology and it's subsequent improvements since as well as what the 3 major outfits have to offer since from being a factory authorized service person for both Lincoln and L-Tech which used to be Linde part of Union Carbide and, is now known as ESAB North America where from the same factory in Florence, NC that Linde/L-Tech used to produce their older green machines, pop out the ESAB yellow puppies... I say this because judging from your response to my previous post, it seems that you didn't acknowledge this in your last post of this thread, or you completely forgot about that sort of experience and knowledge I have acquired throughout my career in welding...

There's more than that when it comes to my own experience with all sorts of both low-end as well as high-end welding equipment... But I'll stop here because I don't want to bore anyone with too much of what I'm experienced in actually doing during my career.:wink: So I just wanted to re-acquaint you and anyone else for that matter, on my welding & cutting equipment repair knowledge from my experience as a welding technical sales rep way back in the eighties... And even though a whole lot has changed since then, the electronic principles still remain the same, and I have always maintained a current understanding of whats new and exciting out there as well as refreshing and renewing my experience with older equipment also... This old"Sea Wolf" still knows his way around all sorts of welding equipment "guts" almost as well as I know my way around both Fast attack and "Boomer" Submarines my friend.:lol::wink::cool: 

Btw, Have you ever run a Gilliland GMAW power sources Larry? I have run Fronius equipment over here in Pittsburgh and I have to admit that their equipment is awesome but, you haven't GMA welded until you run a Gilliland power source...

http://mtgilliland.com/Gilliland.htm#

There's not much at all to learn from them in their website because their technology is proprietary in such a way that their main customers are some US Naval shipyards... For example, EB used this equipment to weld the hull sections together of the Submarines they built like the 688 Los Angeles Class Fast Attacks and the Trident Ohio Class Super-Boomers and they still used them @ the EB Quonset Point facility where they actually put together the steel and weld it up to make those hull sections for the Virginia class Submarines that both Newport News & EB spit out... These really do put the Fronius power sources to shame when it comes to the smoothness of the arc characteristics then again their main customers are any one of the major shipyards that build ships for the USN so you need to ask folks who have tried this equipment because mostly everybody else aren't aware of this equipment and they're also made in the USA! You should check them out first before you give that much credit to Fronius because they're not alone @ the top of the mountain... In fact, have you ever run Oerlikon? here's their MIG/MAG catalogue:

http://www.oerlikon-welding.com/

http://www.oerlikon-welding.com/file/otherelement/pj/mig%20mag48919.pdf

Ask Fronius/Stephan about them... He'll fill you in on them... That is, unless he just gets angry and changes the subject!:eek::yell::lol::lol::lol::twisted::wink::eek::yell::lol:

I'll say it again here: Everything that the Asians have going for them now was stolen by them from us in the first place Larry! All their advances in electronics come from what they stole from silicon valley & the Boston corridor with all these foreign students studying here since the Seventies for crying out loud!!! I'm tired of seeing the innovation that originally started here go to Asia because they can do it cheaper!!! I still think we can do it better here and I'm willing to pay more to support that sort of change from the status quo!

Where's Dave? I know his opinion on this topic would be at least worth noticing where ever the heck he's @ :lol::roll::wink::cool: I'm done in this thread - "snort!!!"

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-14-2013 10:24
Great Post Henry,

Think about cars....  The U.S. had the best auto manufacturing plants in the world... Made more, faster, decent quality.

In the 1970's  Japan "stole" our manufacturing technology or we gave it to them in the WWII recovery... Maybe both.

Anyhow...  They took what they learned and made manufacturing of autos a prime consern and succseeded.   While we rested on our roses... Japan made better and better and better cars...

Now Korea, China and others are doing the same with things like inverter welders.... Maybe they took the seeds... But what is blooming for them is creative and in my opinion admirable... 

The thing the Asian market does that impresses me most, is making reduced size componants at a good price.  Good for them... Put all those reduced sized components together Henry... And we both get that welding machine that can do CV GMAW and Squarewave GTAW.... It can be done... It's just gonna take time to make it small, affordable and reliable.

I'm not bitter about this kind of stuff at all... It's just competition... And the U.S.  has quite a history of competing once they wake up and see that there is actually a game afoot.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-11-2013 12:57
Henry........you were last in Europe when?
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 05-10-2013 00:37
Henry, I don't wear the tie when I play with welding equipment.  But, I agree it is not a good selling point.  I plan to eventually switch to a hardhat and flannel shirt for my welding photos.  Don't want to scare anyone off.  LOL

The photo you saw came from my hoity toity LinkedIn profile.  And, I have always preferred flannel shirts and jeans to the corporate straight jacket attire.

And, as always, thanks for your valuable input.  I am still looking into Inverter welders, hoping to find the ultimate rig.  500 Amps may be tough to find without getting a lot bigger with the hardware.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 05-10-2013 03:06
I did just that in their short little SIMPLE survey.  Much easier to take the simple survey than read all the rest of long winded BS replies here from you know who like usual LOL.  Thanks for your comment.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-10-2013 00:22
I will take the survey. However these machines have been on the market for awhile. Many imports available under various names. I have yet to try one but planned on one for my next home shop purchase. My current home machine is DC Stick/Tig/Plasma all in one and has worked great for the 4 years I have had it. I will be taking the survey.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 05-10-2013 03:08 Edited 05-10-2013 03:34
I like a lot of processes. But I don't like a lot of lame processes. OK, OK, what I mean by this is that I'm drawn to the best of the best. Is it the Miller Invision push pull system at welding aluminum or the Lincoln SST in the pipe shop or the Dynasty 350 for very fine fabrication work? Those guys don't do each others' jobs is all I'm trying to point out.
Parent - - By Welddeveloper Date 05-10-2013 13:15
Thanx for all the feedback. I realize these machines currently exist and have for a couple years. Theres the ThermalArc Fabricator series (questionably portable at 60 plus pounds), the underpowered MillerMatic 200 (currently rated to 150amps), Lincoln's SpeedTec series is available in Europe and only uses one power input and has an awkward control panel, and multiple Chinese manufacturers. We are trying to develop the next generation of these machines utuilizing what welders in the field want. The goal is to remove unused unwanted things that add cost, and replace those things with features you could use in the field. I have used all of these welders during our reviews and they all have strengths and weaknesses. My goal is to combine the strengths into one package. By contacting you guys, I hope to gain feedback I cant get welding in a lab.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-10-2013 15:55
But this in a box with a bow.

1. GMAW short circuit and Spray  with .035 steel (including inductance control with GMAW short circuiting mode)

2. GTAW AC Squarewave and DC....
    2a.  Pulsed GTAW not needed for even advanced garage welders..
    2b.  The ability to Squarewave weld aluminmum will make you a world leader on day 1.........
    2c.   Asymmetric current delivery not necessary..
    2d.   AC frequency control 50-200 hz is all you need here... And if that's too spendy, leave it out.
    2e.   AC GTAW output of 180-200 amps with 20% duty cycle

3. SMAW with Dig control  150 Amps  20% duty cycle

4. Spool gun (option) compatable for GMAW of aluminum.

5. 110 and 220 input versatility

You make this under $2,500 U.S.  and I'll be the first in line...
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 05-10-2013 14:12
I forgot to mention that I have read many comments by reviewers of these machines who say they want both 120 and 230 Volt power inputs. Some machines provide both and others do not.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-12-2013 23:39
In my Position with our Company, I am in charge of deciding what equipment to buy. I just, VERY recently, bought 2 Miller XMT350 with 12VS Feeders. These are Multi Process Machines. The Suitcase Feeders make they more adaptable to different Work Enviroments. Me Personally ? I would not buy anything that is an Inverter with less than 300-350 amps. It would also have to be from a Major, Known Company that has a Service Policy as well as readily availible parts. What is the Cost Range of your new product ?
Parent - - By Welddeveloper Date 05-13-2013 13:12
Well it depends, from a marketing standpoint :under $1400, from the engineers: under $2000 will be nearly impossible. So ideally, we would like to bring a machine with higher capactiy and more flexability then the current machines for around $1500-$1750.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-18-2013 02:53
In that price range, it would be hard to expect much as to the claims of what it will do. In Our World the old saying is Very True.....You get what you pay for
Parent - By Mike Pennington Date 11-11-2019 15:40
[deleted]
- By m88info Date 12-19-2019 14:45
I am going to keep the company I work for anonymous until the product is released
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need Feedback