Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / In Pursuit of BS in Welding Engineer
- - By Parnell Date 05-09-2013 17:47
I'm am currently exploring my option in education at the age of 40ish.  I am currently a foreman of Accuracy Control in an Alabama shipyard with CWI, ASNT Level II, and other certificates of completion.  Truthfully, I am interested in pursuing a BS in Welding Engineering, but am having no sucess in finding a feasable path from the great state of Alabama.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-10-2013 06:55
Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio

Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-10-2013 20:22
I don't know Al. Those guys from Ohio State are little suspect. I think they get brain damaged. They go to painting everything they own red, froth at the mouth at the site of a wolverine, and preface every statement with an overarticulated THEEE.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-10-2013 22:49
?

Al
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-11-2013 00:45
In my opinion, what js is trying to say is that professors at O. State have all of them a doctoral degree, so their language became sophisticated and difficult to understand by common citizens as we are.
Therefore, js suggests Parnell not to attend O. State and find another university that speaks a plain language and is more common people oriented.
If Parnell lived in Brazil I'd recommend him a first quality vocational high school (or community college, whichever denomination you prefer). There are no welding engineering courses in Brazil, just technical schools.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 05-12-2013 20:43 Edited 05-12-2013 20:46
No No No
He refers to the Ohio state sports players, usually having made it to the pro level are announcing their college affiliation.  For some reason, 99% of them say "THEE Ohio State University". Heavy emphasis on the word "the"

Red is one of the main colors of the university

The Wolverines are the main rival football team from Michigan

OSU welding guys are commonly made fun of when it comes down to practical work.  They have a reputation for lots of theory, light in practice.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-14-2013 16:51
Fred hit it dead on. I was having some fun with Ohio State University of which I have great respect, AND of which, since I run around in welding engineering circles, have many friends.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 05-10-2013 23:21 Edited 05-10-2013 23:27
What does the welding schools locator at this site turn up near your home?

Are you planning to go full time for 4 years or spread it out with work study?

One path might be to get a degree in manufacturing or mechanical engineering with an emphasis on welding.  Or, you could complete as many core courses as possible locally and then transfer to another school.  But, most schools won't take more than 4 semesters in transfer credits.  It pays to plan ahead to avoid extra efforts.

And AWS currently accepts experience and other degrees for their certified welding engineer exam.  They will even take a high school diploma with the right experience.  But, it is a very hard test.  I have looked at some of the sample questions.  It is no walk in the park.

I have never done a detailed statistical study to see what percentage of employers will accept a BSME vs. a BSWE for welding engineering positions.  But, I did just read that 75% of BSWT grads are able to hold down full engineering positions.  That has been true of my career path so far.  But, a BSWE will go farther with the government and certain heavy R&D jobs or for a PE exam.

Oh, and I earned a second BS in Computer Science at the age of 37.  So, don't let age scare you.  There were people older than me in some of my classes.  I was near a navy base and there were a lot of retired navy people going to school.
Parent - By Wc917 Date 10-22-2013 21:11
There is some good info here and I am contemplating the CWEng certificate as well. 

Ie: "The" Ohio State came about bc back in the day the school tried to sue someone for making ohio state shirts, hats etc, only to find they never copyrighted their own name, so this guy did. They then copyrighted "The Ohio State University" and officially licensed products must say "The..." Or so the story goes.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / In Pursuit of BS in Welding Engineer