Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Will liquid Argon guarantee purity?
- - By Stringer (***) Date 05-10-2013 03:50
My suppliers have been unable to clear up a compressed Argon issue. I weld 14 and 12 guage 304L as duct pipe and formed structural shapes - it's my bread and butter. Crummy Argon means too much penetration for my purposes, and discoloration (hence corrosion) issues. It's night and day. One bottle's fine the second you hook it up, and the next one isn't. This has gone on for years now. Can anyone kindly posit on the compressed (T size) average quality vs the Liquid bottle. Yeah, I know there's some size issues and flowmeter considerations, but we need clean Argon.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 05-10-2013 03:58
Id find a new supplier.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 05-10-2013 12:04
I agree try a different supplier
Parent - By MMyers (**) Date 05-10-2013 17:35
I have run liquid argon on Titanium with zero issues.  But good gas, as Al has mentioned, is only half the battle.  The rest is everything down stream of the cylinder.  Regulator, fittings, hosing, gaskets, solenoids, etc.  Before I did anything, I'd buy a gallon jug of Snoops leak check from Swagelok, and a spray bottle, and get to checking every connection and line in my system. 

If you don't have an oxygen meter that measures in PPM, now might be a good time to justify one.  Ours has been an absolute work horse and held up very well to three welding engineers who play welding technicians on a daily basis.  We purchased ours from Alpha Omega Instruments Corp. Rhode Island. 

The other route, and I'd not go this way unless you absolutely have to, is to run all of your high pressure cylinders through Matheson NanoChems.  We have 3 cylinder manifolds that go through a NanoChem for all of our mechanized TIG equipment.  They work very well, but their price is very steep.
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 05-11-2013 01:51
When I was working in the naval nuclear shop we had similar concerns about argon purity, even with the tightest specifications and best suppliers.

The solution in this case came in part through the installation of a dryer/purifier at each weld station, in addition to our purity alarm systems.

It has been so long that I don't remember the specific equipment vendor even, but by now they probably have improved versions on the market.

I'm not sure what you are using now or if this would even fit your budget, but it is my 2 cents worth.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-10-2013 06:51
Order your gas to the AWS A5.32 specification. The purity is something like 99.997% with a dew point of -76 degrees F. If your supplier can't meet the AWS requirements, find a different supplier.

Al
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 05-10-2013 12:08
Not possible in this neck of the woods.
Parent - By cddolan74 (**) Date 05-10-2013 12:29
he should still be able to meet AWS requirements.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-10-2013 14:10
Liquid argon would ensure low moisture and the purity should be pretty good as well. Then again, if the flow meter or hoses are not in tip top shape there can be problems regardless of the purity of the gas. Some hose will allow moisture to pass through, leaking or loose fittings can allow air to aspirate into the gas stream, likewise, excessive flow rates can aspirate air into the gas stream as well.

Al
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 05-11-2013 00:30
Yes, it's true what you said it could be related equipment in these cases. But the change in weld is immediate upon bottle change. We may use eight T's per month between two welders not counting some purge gas. We'll reject one in twenty five on a good stretch, but then get a scatter of bad ones, maybe three in twenty five. Supplier great guys, swap bad ones for free. I don't want to speculate about their end of things.
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 05-11-2013 01:44
I do.   it sounds like they are not doing their due dilligance come refill time.      getting bottles from hobbyists that leave them to go completely empty over time
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-11-2013 17:11
When there is a problem with the gas, but it is limited to when the cylinder is changed it can leave you scratching your head and wondering why.

Check all your connections to make sure they are properly tightened with a liquid leak detector. You might try testing all the hoses in a tank of water to see if there are some tiny leaks. You have to pressurize the hoses as you would a tire.

I once had a tire that had a slow leak. I brought it back to the tire dealer and he tested it. No leaks! I had him increase the pressure to 50 psi and there they were! The leaks were very small and in the side wall of all places.

Best regards- Al
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 05-12-2013 20:37
There are 2 editions of aws a5.32, and they differ significantly, choose carefully
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Will liquid Argon guarantee purity?