Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / processes qualified
- - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 05-12-2013 11:42
ASME  B313 SHORT AND SWEEt   company qualifi9ed WPQR on 1/2 CS  plate  Gtaw root and h0t pass
smaw 7018 cap prod welds started out this way . during VT I noticed a weld had been  done GTAW all Passes
i interpetse  sec9 that any process used to quaoify WPQR can be usded independently  or in ccmbi9nation
without futher testing is  this correct   Fhanks
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 05-12-2013 12:51
Independantly or in combination is correct, but weld thickness measurements apply.
If memory serves me correct the limitation is 2 times the thickness of the applied individual process weld, but its not a good idea to quote code requirements from memory.
Does the WPS mention the limitations?
You need to review both the WPS and the WPS essential variables in the code.

Tim
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-12-2013 14:31
The welder performance test report should report the range of the thickness qualified for each process used. If it doesn't, the test report is incorrect and should be rejected.

The long and short of the matter is that if no one witnessed the qualification test and no one recorded the thickness of the actual deposit, shame on them. Call for a new welder qualification test.  

This also holds true if only one welding process is used, but two or more F numbers were involved as well.

Qualifying a WPS or a welder is a lot like sex. You have to participate to get the full value.

Al
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 05-13-2013 18:48
Qualifying a WPS or a welder is a lot like sex.

Yeah and it's usually better with two people involved.

QCRobert
- - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 05-16-2013 19:27 Edited 05-16-2013 19:47
alls well wps was written  thru 3/4 GTAW  and 3/4 SMAW   THANKS FOR THE HELP
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 05-17-2013 18:25
company qualifi9ed WPQR on 1/2 CS  plate

Where did you arrive at 3/4" thickness?

QCRobert
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / processes qualified