Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / How did I ever live without this!!!
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-16-2013 18:03
Pick me up one of dem dar fancy plasma cutting things, dang! How on earth did we ever build anything without one! This thing is wicked cool! I'ved used one in school but just tinkering around with it. Having one in the shop, now that's a whole different story! Band saw? What's a band saw? Cutting WT5x11's and having to put bolt holes and slotted holes in them, cut to length. Four slotted holes, 2-4 5/8" holes, cut off 5" of the web on each end, place beam on stands, layout as per drawings, 25 minutes start to finish. I can imagine using a drill, band saw and punch press for these, it would take friggin' forever!

Signing off, loving my new Hypertherm!!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-17-2013 00:35
Congrats   yea those dang arc blowing things are fairly darn handy to say the least!  I always go invade a friends shop when I got odd cuts on sheet metal...makes life much easier then pulling out the "tiny" torch and watching my coffee intake.   Maybe one day I will cough up some cash myself for one but I bet I will be getting a nice leaf brake at the same time.  I let ya road test that one and then get my consumer report from you bud!!  LOL.  How many amp is that thing...looks like a serious one?  BTW they really like dry air and I know you got that covered in spades.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-17-2013 02:14
65 amp, I've got some small stuff I need to cut out this weekend, thin plate to make a bouy bell for a memorial I am making for a cemetary plot. Also going to give my free hand artistic side a shot at doing some lettering for the same memorial.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 05-17-2013 23:01
Good buy i hear nothing but great things about the Hyper therms especially how the tips last a long time unlike thermal arc which is a cheaper machine but keep hearing you will go through a ton of tips.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-17-2013 23:20
I have used the dog doo out of it the last three days and will be using the dog doo out of it next week. Put 20-30 hours on it already! Still using original tips that came with it. Don't know how long they last as I've never had the chance to own one before!
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 05-18-2013 02:46
Yeah, the Hypo is USA and stuffed with copper. The art of oxy acet will be lost, I'm afraid, but most students should be glad to be rid of it. Two dangerous bottles of rent per month versus a big toaster that needs almost nothing to cut almost anything.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 05-18-2013 17:03
Shawn how big of a compressor you have to run this thing? how many gallons?
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-18-2013 21:06
60 gallon compressor, Sharpe 3 stage air dryer and water seperators near the outlet of the compressor
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 05-20-2013 17:20
I still have to keep those bottles around for a " blue flame wrench " to something stuck loose about all I use torch for anymore but sometimes some aluminum torch welding.  Plasma can't do that and those electric inverter heat things for bolts or rods cost like crazy.
Parent - By katelynmgr Date 05-20-2013 04:38
Congratulation! It seems your happy with that band saw. Cutting is now easier for you now.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-31-2013 03:17
New tools give me wood.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-01-2013 02:47
Think I have ultimate wood on this plasma! Had to cut out a billion slotted holes, 2-1/2" to 5-1/2" long on this stuff. Made templates, zip, zap boom and knocked them out. Hit lightly with the grinder and away we went! Had it for about 2 weeks now and got ideas on TONS of stuff to build!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / How did I ever live without this!!!