Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / asme tank
- - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 05-17-2013 01:21 Edited 05-17-2013 01:25
tank arrived with straight pipe outlets owner wants piping contractor to weld  flanges onto pipes  
i dont have access to asme sec v   or v111   is this weld considered to be part of the tank thus
requiring a r stamp to  weld on flanges or does piping code apply . thanks n  joe
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-17-2013 05:30
The boundary of the ASME VIII code is the first flange face - if it has come without flanges then the work you need to do falls under ASME VIII.

U-1(e) In relation to the geometry of pressure containing
parts, the scope of this Division shall include
the following:

U-1(e)(1) where external piping; other pressure
vessels including heat exchangers; or mechanical devices,
such as pumps, mixers, or compressors, are to
be connected to the vessel:

(a) the welding end connection for the first
circumferential joint for welded connections [see UW-
13(g)];
(b) the first threaded joint for screwed connections;
(c) the face of the first flange for bolted, flanged
connections;

(d) the first sealing surface for proprietary connections
or fittings;

Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-17-2013 19:11
To all,
The transition from ASME Section VIII to NBIC is based upon stamping. If the vessel came stamped the flanges will be installed per NBIC.
And it should be stamped or you have a different problem.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-17-2013 20:26
Attention! We better clear up one thing before we go further.
WELDIC is speaking of a "tank". Tank is one thing, pressure vessel is another one. ASME VIII covers pressure vessels, not tanks.
Tanks are coverd by API 650: Atmospheric storage tanks for oil products; API 620: Low pressure storage tanks; AWWA: Welded steel tanks for water storage. All of these are field erected tanks.
As WELDIC says that the thak "arrived" to the site, it's evident that the tank arrived to the site already assembled in one piece. In this case, it was a small storage tank covered by API 12D.  
So, before we go further, I think WELDIC should clear up what does he mean by "tank": a storage small atmospheric vessel or a pressure vessel?

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 05-19-2013 05:55
sorry for the confusion this is a stainless steel pressure vessel not an atmospheric tank. i notified head qc
of the situation he talked with company A1 and  i was told  to proceed to weld flanges as per pipe code B31.3. im not going
to win this argument no matter now many chapters of sect V111  clearly state the welds should be boiler code i feel ive
covered my ass by bringing it to management attention. I guess when the insurance companies AI comes out to inspect the
plant the **** will hit the fan
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-20-2013 19:49
In this case, Shane's answer has cleared up the situation.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-20-2013 20:08
Do you have a Data Report?
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 05-20-2013 22:02 Edited 05-20-2013 22:05
Something is missing here...........B31.3 does not apply to attach flanges to the PV.

May I ask what jurisdiction (state) the vessel is in and what the "stamp" on the pressure vessel states?

NB number?
Certified by what company?
Impression of "U" certification stamp (issued by loan of NBIC)?
Impression of "W" initial?
Impression of RT nitial and possibly followed by the numeral 3?
MAWP psi @ deg F?
MAEP psi @ deg F?
MDMT deg F @ psi?
S/N?
Yr Built?

With the S/N you or anyone else can obtain the Form U-1A data report.  You need this to examine before performing any welding and you must get concurrence of AI.  He will determine the extent of NDE is required and the PV may require another hydro test.

Btw, also keep a diary....

QCRobert
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-21-2013 12:17
One other point to be made here, the AI DOES NOT determine the code of fabrication. This should be spelled out explicitly in the specification.
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 05-22-2013 09:35
I suspect this is a modification work. Normally, the drawing indicates the boundaries between B31.1/31.3 and ASME VIII.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-22-2013 21:25
Shane has already cleared up this question (boundary between ASME VIII and ASME B31)
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 05-23-2013 02:41
Don't be too confident Professor. How will you relate this Drawing to ASME VIII requirements.
Attachment: PVDrawing.pdf - PV Drawing (97k)
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-23-2013 03:43
Joey,
I am sorry my friend but your drawing is totally wrong.
Firstly, it lists BEP (Boiler External Piping) but it is connected to a pressure vessel ?
External piping in regards to ASME VIII is classified purely as External piping.
Secondly and most important is the scope of ASME VIII ends at the first circumferential weld for external piping (as I have noted previously).

It appears the author of your drawing has got confused between codes - An ASME VIII pressure vessel with B31.1 piping ?

ASME Section 1 boiler with B31.1 Boiler External Piping - junction is first circumferential weld.
ASME VIII PV with B31.3 External Piping - junction is first circumferential weld.
ASME VIII PV with B31.1 Boiler External Piping - junction is still first circumferential weld.

Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 05-23-2013 04:40
Hi Shane, you have the point there but I'm just a QC Inspector.. my job is to follow the approved drawing.

Cheers
~Joey~
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-23-2013 09:01
Joey,

"Hi Shane, you have the point there but I'm just a QC Inspector.. my job is to follow the approved drawing."

I disagree, If something is quite outstanding as being 'wrong' I would expect my Inspectors to point it out! :confused:
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 05-28-2013 02:01

Point it out politely...but don't point it for show-off that you are more Knowledgeable than the design engineer.
The inspector has the right to ask question when in doubt, the design engineer being the prime interpreter
of the drawing should provide an answer when necessary:cool:
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-28-2013 12:11
Joey,

If an Inspector or indeed anyone needs to 'show off' then he/she has a problem. However, a question unasked will never be answered. I would rather questions asked sooner than problems later!
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-29-2013 12:56
Joey,
Have a look at your initial post to Giovanni - I don't think that was very polite.
Your design engineer doesn't understand the code and you should have pointed that out to your Quality Manager  - as 46.00 mentioned.
Just remember, the design engineer may have been to university but that means nothing when it comes to code interpretations.
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 05-30-2013 05:18
Shane

Don't misinterpret me, I'm not referring to the correct tone of language in this forum.

I'm suggesting that on actual work, if you want to point it out with design engineer, the approach should be polite. As QC Inspector, you may point it out by asking for clarification but you should not point it out by confiming the mistakes before you get the answer from designer. Feeling like you have been given the power to review and approve the drawings.

As QC Inspector, prior to start of work, you have to understand your scope work / your limitation / your boundaries. Have to understand your role and involvement as given in Inspection & Test Plan (ITP) or Quality Mannual. The Quality Manager always said, you have to ensure that only approved drawings are being used in fabrication shop. The drawings have been stamped "Approved for Construction" issued and signed by design engineer from owner side. Do you think the QC Inspector still need to see the Quality Manager :neutral:

Regards
~Joey~
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-30-2013 11:25
Joey, I feel this thread going off topic slightly!

However let me ask you a simple question to clarify your stance on this matter. Would you knowingly allow construction of say, a piping system from drawings that you knew were wrong?

As a side note, I recently had to review a couple of thousand P&ID's and associated isometrics for a contract. All had been approved, I was just authorising test limits. I spent quite a while with the piping design team sorting issues..........
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 06-13-2013 18:51 Edited 06-14-2013 11:58
Shane,
I want to throw out some food for thought. I have been told by A.I's in the past that U-1 (e) (1) (a) means the connection prep. Not the actual weld. "the welding end connection" for the first circumferential joint for welded connections...... also if a slip-on or socket weld connection is used, they are not considered part of the boundry.  What are your thoughts on that?

Jim
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 06-14-2013 23:53
Jim,
Jump over to the posting "Code Jurisdictions" that I started.
Cheers,
Shane
- - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 05-22-2013 19:36
made in india by INOX 2012 W-RT 1 stamp
asme stamp
national  board stamp 10122200712
u stamp
temp -320 l;iquid nitrogen
43.5 G  mawp

Owners rep told me it was their vessell and thery could do s
what ever they want
please advise they didn't covder gthis in cWI trainining  101
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-22-2013 22:12
The owner is correct, he can do what ever he wants with the vessel. However, it will no longer be a code stamped vessel if the modifications are not compliant with the NBIC. If he resides or uses the vessel in a Jurisdiction State, i.e., one that has adopted ASME Section VIII for unfired pressure vessels, his actions can be considered criminal if he attempts to use the vessel as a pressure vessel.

Al
Parent - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 05-23-2013 01:45
doing a google search it appears that north dakota has adopted asme sec V111. i agree with al and
shane that boiler coded applies. i dont know what to do about it. i don't believe i can write an ncr as i am
not an AI authorised inspector a CWI does not cover this work . my boss would lik,e me to shut up and close my
eyes I try to do my job to the best of my ability when i don't know an answer or need a second opinion i turn to the
more educated in. spectors who frequent this board they didn't cover this in AWS 101.  I have  asked the plant manager
to put in writing that the plant owners assume all responsabilities regarding tank modifications . any advice?????
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-23-2013 04:00
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but how can it be a "Stamped" vessel if it is incomplete ?
A vessel with nozzles but no flanges on the nozzles is not a pressure vessel - how can you contain pressure ?
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 05-23-2013 09:47
Shane no offense here but didnt i just post the NB   serial numbrer .the two pipes in question
have pipe  caps welded on them  thats how it  was pressure tested. The owner of the vessels reo
says to weld it as per asme B31.3 . the drawings do not show any flanges they  do not show how the
pipe is connected!!!!! the other outlets all haved weld neck val.ves that were welded at manufacturers facility
amd pipe was welded in field  to valves per asme b31.3the dwg posteed by joey has nothing to do with my post .so i dont knows why it was  posted here
again i am not an AI iinspector . the only reason thjey want to install flanges is so we have  a way to purge the pipe
without filling the entire vessell with argon or nitrogen  there is no other way to  pirge  the vesseld
tyhey are fabricaterd from stainless and are approx 10  foot dia 30 feet long . they are 02 cleaned  so
flux is not an option
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-23-2013 11:40
Joe,
There was no comment made of pipe caps - your initial post stated the "tank" arrived with "straight pipe outlets".
Why can you not use pipe dams or dissolvable paper dams for purging as the rest of the world does ?
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 05-23-2013 13:20
This is a 02 clean system person in charge of pipe cleanliness documentation wont allow us to use it

hes afraid of contamination, regardless of how the pipes are welded to a flange or pipe to pipe it sxtyilol
should be boiler code . waiting for letter from plant manager to take responsability.  Joe
Parent - - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 05-23-2013 15:30
ompany i work for as an R stamp  does AI inspector have to witness the welds?
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 05-23-2013 19:22
If your company has an R stamp certification then your approved QC Manual dictates your procedure for repairing and/or alteration of pressure vessels and pressure piping including testing and installation of ASME Code stamped products per NBIC and jurisdictional requirements.

I obtain permits from the State Boiler & Pressure Vessel Inspector to perform such welded work here in Oregon and get concurrence of our Authorized Inspector or the plantsite (Owners) A.I. before performing welded work.  Our company performs work nationwide and I contact my A.I. who in turn provides the phone number of the SB&PVI and any additional jurisdictional requirements.

As far as writing NCRs, yes you can write an NCR as a CWI.  You then must submit to AI for acceptance of disposition.

Again, you must follow your QC Manual.  Getting written permission from the Owner when you are responsible for the work is useless in a court of law.

QCRobert
Parent - - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 05-24-2013 02:08
I SENT AN EMAIL TO THE STATE OF NORTH DAKOTA  L & SHANE WERE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT IN THERE
INTERPETATION. I ASKED COMPANY FOR THE QC MANUAL AND GOT LAUGHED AT . AFTER INTERPETATION FROM
STATE OFFICIAL ALL WORK IS STOPPED ON VESSELLILL COMPANY AI COMES OUT TO JOBSITE AND COMPLETES  ALL NECESSARY FORMS TO SUBMIT TO NBIC.  . THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR IMPUT THIS
FORUM IS INVALUABLE REGARDS JOE
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-30-2013 19:30
If the PV manufacturer does not have a program or a stamp (if they don't have a manual they do not have stramp) there is no point in bringing out the AI and trying to comply with NBIC. I do not see how you can recover.
Parent - - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 05-31-2013 08:28
i never said the pv manufacturer did not have a stamp. what i said was the company i work for has a current "R" stamp
as such i could care less about their QC manual which must have been  good enough to obtain the (R) stamp in the first place
its up to the AI to submit the proper paper work to the NBIC , check welder qualification, witness the welding, over see any NDE
required. and stamp the vessell.  Its not my job  i feel i more than met my obligations as a CWI researching the companies responsability to perform
the work in accordance with section V111. I Covered my own rear and the company AI can deal with it any way they want to.
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 05-31-2013 13:16
The pv manufacturer would have a U stamp to construct the vessel.

I dont understand your flippant attitude of not caring about company's R stamp QC Manual.

I would suggest due diligence before involving oneself with a project of this magnitude.

It is not up to the AI to submit paperwork to NBIC, that is your company's responsibility as the R stamp holder performing the work.  It is your company (QA Manager or QC rep) responsibility to gather all repair procedures, welding documentation, completed U-Forms, MTRs, NDE results, etc and submit to  AI prior to commencement of work.  Stamping will be witnessed by the AI.

The AI simply certifies that you (your company) has performed the correct procedures and steps in repairing the pressure vessel,  he makes no warranty and assumes no liability or responsibility for any personal injury or property damage arising from this inspection.

QCRobert
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-31-2013 14:46
What we have here is a failure to recognize the difference between quality control functions and quality assurance functions and who the AI represents versus the QC/QA responsibilities of the contractor.

A CWI that has attended an AWS seminar in preparation for the CWI examination should know the difference between QC and QA. Likewise, the functions of the AI are typically discussed as well, but to a limited extent.

Back to the 10%-80%-10% rule. I think I know where this CWI fits in.

Time for this lad to pick up the contractor's QA/QC manual and digest its content.

Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-31-2013 20:31
NO!!!
It is not up to the AI to submit anything to NBIC. It is up to the manufacturer.
And it is not even required that that be done.
And your CWI is worthless. Neither ASME nor NBIC could care less.
And there is no such thing as a company AI. The AI is third party inspector. YOUR company is responsible for its own due diligence and qualification, welding,etc. You clearly do not understand the relationship.
And YOUR COMPANY is responsible for stamping anything YOUR COMPANY does. NOT THE AI.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-31-2013 20:50
JS, I was under the impression that a company could have their own in-house AI in certain circumstances, i.e., they could be self-insured for one.

Other than that, spot on.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 06-01-2013 00:44
I AM THE QC THE OWNER HIRED THE QA  WHO WANTED TO WELD ON
THE VESSELL  WITHOUT PROPER DOCUMENTATION OR INSPECTION. I CONTACTED THE STATE
BOARD ON HOW TO PROCEED .  SINCE IAM NOT AN AI INSPECTOR I AM UNDER NO OBLIGATION
TO INSPECT THIS VESSELL IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM, THE COMPANY I WORK FOR HAS
AN R STAMP AND ITS THEIRF PROBLEM NOT MINE. I DID MY BEST TO EXPLAIN THE CONSEQUENCES
OF PROCEEDING WITHOUT PROPER DOCUMENTATION AND INSPECTION  AT THIS POINT IM DONE
I HAVE A JOB SPECIFIC QC MANUAL FOR THIS PROJECT THAT DOES NOT COVER WELDING ON PRESSURE VESSELLS.
IM WELL AWARE OF THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN QA AND QC . IF YOU WOULD HAVE TAKEN THE TIME  TO READ
THE POSTS ON THNIS TOPIC YOU WOULD HAVE SEEN THNE TANK MANUFACTURER WAS PROPERLY LICENSED
INSTEAD YOU COMBINED MY TOPIC WITH ANOTHER POST . OH BY THE WAY THE COMPANY USES THE SAME Ai
ON ALL THERE PROJECTS  HE WORKS FOR HARTFORD INSURANCE. C OMPANY IS PROCEEDING AS DIRECTED BY
STATE AUTHORITY. IT IS NOT MY JOB TO REVIEW ANY WELDER CERTS , INSP MANUALS , OR ANY THING ELSE PERTAINING TO
THIS VESSELL SUBJECT CLOSED!!!!!!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-01-2013 03:57 Edited 06-01-2013 04:35
It may have been easier to digest the situation had this post been proof read and proper punctuation was used. I'm not even sure if this CWI works for the contractor that is doing the welding or not. He may simply be on-site working for a different contractor that is installing handrails.

I am going to assume that this CWI is working for the contractor that has been tasked with welding the piping connected to this vessel. My comments relate to an individual that is functioning as the contractor's QC inspector. Whether or not the individual is a CWI is not pertinent to the following discussion or my comments. 

As the contractor's QC the individual is the contractor's representative. The contractor is responsible for any work performed on the vessel. QC cannot clap their hands together and say they are not responsible. I take that back, The person working as the contractor's QC can resign his position and then walk away.

In most cases the AI represents the Authorized Inspection Agency (insurance company) that provides insurance coverage for the contractor. The AI is not a Third Party Inspector in the sense the AI does not represent the Owner (the entity) of the vessel. That isn't to say the Owner cannot hire an individual that holds National Board Commission, i.e., AI, to represent their interests, it is however very rare to do so. 

The are certain hoops the contractor has to jump through to obtain and hold an "R" stamp from the National Board. They include:
a) The contractor must have and maintain an agreement with an Authorized Inspection Agency,
b) have a Quality Control Manual that is acceptable to both National Board and the contractor's Inspection Agency,
c) have a current copy of the National Board Inspection Code, and
d) have a copy of the applicable construction code(s).

The contractor seeking the "R" stamp must pass a review by the NBIC (Jurisdiction) and the Authorized Inspection Agency. The contractor has to demonstrate their ability to implement the requirements of the quality control manual. The contractor must have the personnel with the training and experience to carry out those quality control functions necessary to meet the applicable code requirements.

The AI's function is to protect the insurance carrier's (Authorized Inspection Agency) interest by ensuring the conditions set forth in the approved quality control manual and the applicable construction code are fulfilled.

The poster in this case has done the right thing up to the point of washing his hands and saying he is not responsible for any work performed by his employer. By holding the position of QC or QA, he has the responsibility of ensuring the contractor does what is required by documenting any nonconformance and bring it to management's attention. If management fails to follow the proper protocol he has an obligation to kick it up the ladder. His responsibility ceases when he resign the position.

The AI should work with the contractor's QC to ensure the requirements of the quality control manual are met as well as the applicable code requirements. While the AI may not be obligated to provide the contractor's QC with insight regarding the intricacies of the applicable codes, it has been my experience most are more than willing to share their knowledge of ASME and NBIC requirements. It is difficult to conceive of a situation where the AI would permit the contractor to knowingly violate a code requirement. It simply isn't in their best interest or their employer's best interest (the Authorized Inspection Agency) to do so.

Clearly we do not have all the facts or the timeline associated with this project. As is usually the case we are fed bits and pieces of information as judged suitable and relevant by the individual posting. I am waiting the Paul Harvey moment when someone says, "And now for the rest of the story."

This isn't the first time a CWI has found himself in the position where he runs into a brick wall. My standard advice is to assess one's career very carefully. There are times when the CWI (or anyone finding themselves in a similar position) has to pack their bags and move on if they are placed in a position where they cannot do their job or their sense of ethics are compromised.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-04-2013 19:59
Al,
To be honest I know of no company AI designation that can avoid the third party designation and in the sense you speak, though I could be wrong. Might have to go back and read the fine print. I have worked for companies where we had what was called a 'company AI' but he still worked third party although he was dedicated to only our compnay since we had enough work to keep him busy, it was worth it for us to lock him in.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-04-2013 21:07 Edited 06-06-2013 03:26
I dug around my archives and found this in my copy of the NBIC:
"The Owner-User Inspection Organization. An Inspector employed by an Owner-User Inspection Organization may authorize and accept work only on pressure retaining items owner/used by the company."

I also thought there was a weasel word or two pertaining to miniature boilers where the manufacturer could employ their own AI, but I have nothing handy to back that up. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time I managed to put my foot where it shouldn't be.

Best regards -Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-05-2013 20:38
Al,
If memory serves, on the UM stamp I believe what you say is true.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-06-2013 03:27
Dodged an other bullet with that one.

Al
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-07-2013 12:38
Al,
In all honesty all I know of UM stamp requirements are the items I've avoided on the National Board survey checklist.
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 06-11-2013 12:40
Hi Joe

I have been on a shutdown for the last month, so only reading this post in "hindsight". All the points raised sound interesting and valid, but I believe there may be more than one way to look at this problem. I find your posts are a little difficult to read, so I may be misinterpreting your explanations, but it sounds to me like the situation you are in is as follows:

1) The particular pressure vessel was produced as per drawing, (And design) which required no flanges on the nozzles, as the vessel (as is often the case for cryogenic vessels) has been designed to be welded into the piping without any flanged connections.
2) As pointed out by Shane, the code then delimits the vessel boundary at the first weld onto the attaching pipe work. (That would have been the case for all the other nozzles, from what I understand.)
3) Due to an oversight, it has come to light that at least one flanged connection will be required in the system to allow for purges. (I am not entirely clear if this is only for weld purging for attaching the piping to the nozzles, or production purging, but the precise reason is not important to the discussion.)

While I do not fully understand the legal requirements in the USA, I believe the attachment of the flange to the vessel could potentially be dealt with in three different ways:
1) The attachment of the flange is seen as a late modification by the original manufacturer, and they make the change, re-issue the as built drawing and MDR to reflect the change. (Would in all probability not be possible given that the vessel was made in India.)
2) The attachment of the flange is seen as a modification to the vessel, and the necessary National Board processes are followed for modifications to pressure vessels. (This seems to be the way it is heading at the moment.)
3) The flange is seen as part of the attaching piping, not part of the vessel. In this case the ISO for the piping would show this flange as part of the piping, and the termination point of the vessel being at the first weld onto the piping. (As was originally intended.) In this case, welding the flange using B31.3 would be appropriate.

I know that the last option above does not appear "above board", but if we ask ourselves the following questions, it may not seem quite so ridiculous:
1) If there was a 10m length of pipe welded onto the welded end nozzle before the first flange, would it be expected that the entire 10m length be part of the vessel? If not, then what about a 5m length? OR 1m length... You get the picture I am sure.
2) This weld will be no different than the other welds onto the welded end nozzles, which would all be welded to B31.3, so from a risk or technical point of view, there would be no difference between these welds.

I believe that the real issue here is how the records will be kept and applied into the future. As long as it is clear from the records that the flange welded onto this particular nozzle is not part of the vessel, but part of the piping, legally everything should be OK. If I am getting this wrong, by all means let me know.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 06-11-2013 13:44
Niekie,
Really appreciate your input so if you get a chance can you have a look at my post "Code Jurisdictions" as it was based on this posting and I am still not 100% who is responsible for the first circumferential weld on a pressure vessel,
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - By Hollaway Date 08-12-2013 20:31
Is this vessel vacuum jacketed? Being that it is cryogenic service, I would assume so. In that case the "inner" vessel is the only thing that is code. There are penetrations cut and usually a pup piece attached with a full pen weld and that is considered the nozzle and are not flanged. Then piping is run off of that piece and falls under B31.3. Therefore, (and this is if it is vacuum jacketed) adding flanges to the piping does NOT fall under ASME code and an AI is not required. I was a QA/QC Manager for a cryogenic vessel manufacturer for 6 years, so I may be able to help you understand it more if you have any other issues that come up also. Sorry I came in this post so late, I havent been on here in a while lol. Long eough that I couldnt remember my username and had to start another one.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / asme tank