Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Acceptance Criteria Fillet Break Test
- - By rshanks (**) Date 05-17-2013 12:43
AWS D1.1 (2010)

4.31.4.1. The broken specimen shall pass if:
(1) The specimen bends flat upon itself, OR
(2) The fillet weld, if fractured has a surface showing complete fusion to the root of the joint with no inclusion or porosity larger than 3/32 in greatest dimension, and

(3) The sum of the greatest dimensions of all inclusions and porosity shall not exceed 3/8 in 6 inches.

We have a difference of opinions , Some think if it bends flat upon itself it passes , I think this is triggered by the word OR, My thoughts are, it can bend flat upon it's self but if the fractured weld surface exhibit any defects as listed in 2 or 3 it fails. Needing some more WI opinions please.
Thanks RS
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-18-2013 00:23
rshanks,
I will be interested to see Al's comments on this as he has frequently discussed the issue of fusion (or lack of) at the root of fillet welds.
I have always judged previous fillet weld break tests (not D1.1) to have passed if there are no straight edges (unfused material) at the root of the broken joint - irrespective of whether it bends fully back on itself or not.
However, based on the clause you have noted parts (2) & (3) only come into play if the weld has fractured - if it bends flat upon itself and doesn't fracture it is a pass - regardless of whether it has lack of fusion or not.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 05-18-2013 15:33
I also require "no straight edges" because of the " if fractured has a surface showing complete fusion to the root of the joint"
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 05-19-2013 18:47 Edited 05-19-2013 18:51
The way that it's worded, it's saying that the fillet weld has fractured, or it has not fractured.  "The fillet weld, if fractured, "

If the fillet weld has not fractured, there is no reason to examine any further. 

The tricky part is determining if, by the word fracture, it means (1) a complete separation of the two pieces of base metal -OR- that (2) the fillet weld is broken, but could be still holding the two pieces of base metal together.  

I'm attaching images to mull over:
Attachment: FILLETWELDBREAK.jpg - Fillet Weld Break Test (173k)
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-19-2013 21:16
The fillet break test, my favorite test!

The only fillet test I have seen fold over without fracturing the weld was a test involving austenitic stainless steel. If the weld fractures, but the plates do not separate cleanly, the weld has still fractured and is evaluated per provision (2) of the acceptance criteria listed in D1.1.

Once it has been determined provision (2) applies, I look to see that there is fusion to the root, i.e., I don’t want to see a clean edge at the root. Then it is time to look at the tie in between the start and the stop. Is there any evidence of incomplete fusion? Next, check to see if there is evidence of slag inclusions, porosity, etc. If the sum of all internal discontinuities exceeds the acceptance limits, the welder fails the bend test.

As permitted by our favorite welding standard; it’s time to retest the welder with an immediate retest. It is two for one time; two good tests for the one that failed. Now my fee schedule is recalibrated and my fee for services rendered are whatever I can collect from the mountain of scrap that surely follows. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 05-20-2013 11:13
Don't forget to etch the ends of the cut offs for the other portion of the test requirement.
When I get a test coupon and it bends flat upon itself and the weld has fractured (carbon steel FCAW) without the two plates actually breaking apart I visually inspect the fractured surface looking for visual discontinuities, especially at the start and stop.  If there are none then I call the test good and move on.
I use the 1" drops to do my macro etch test on, but you could use the piece you are going to brake as well, it doesn't matter.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-20-2013 14:26
Besides the stainless plates, I have seen many which were done to D1.3 with 1/8" plates for the fillet tests.  Those will often bend over without fracturing. 

Can't recall ever seeing it with D1.1 plates.

I do see it as an 'OR' situation.  The problem is going to be in defining 'fracture'.  I'm not sure without more research how D1.1 identifies a fracture but I would tend to side with Al and what I believe a couple of others have been saying.  That being, fractured without total separation is still fractured and I have a clear view of the weld, weld root, and other visual components to use provision (2) with it's listed criteria.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-20-2013 16:22
Yes, I agree. I have experienced the sheet metal bending over when welding samples to D1.3, but then the weld is usually larger than the sheet metal thickness being joined.

I don't have my D1.3 with me, but isn't there a note that says the face of the fillet can be scored/reduced in size to force the weld to fracture?

I imagine if the welder made a 1 inch fillet weld on the 1/2 inch steel plate it too might bend over.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Acceptance Criteria Fillet Break Test