Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / PWHT & dehydrogenation
- - By sciroccos1111 (*) Date 05-17-2013 19:07
Hellow everyone ,
i want some help about the 14MoV6-3 pipe material for high temperature service used in fossil power plants. It's an old and rather difficult material to weld and needs PWHT.
The only i 've found its that needs PWHT on 720 degrees celcious with 2 hour holding time. Heating and cooling rate 80 degrees per hour. I have seen somewhere that prior the PWHT needs hydrogenation in 500 degrees for an hour but its not valid source. Any one who knows??
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 05-18-2013 19:36 Edited 05-19-2013 16:54
sciroccos1111,
I recommend using US parent material equivalents when posting on this forum.
That is, ASTM A 405 Grade P24, instead of the European designation 14MoV6-3.
This might inspire the AWS forum experts to maybe rather chime in - which surely will happen soon.
Also, I strongly assume that you may have an approved welding procedure available before pell-mell starting to weld.

Certainly you're right saying that this material, employed decades ago, is "difficult" to weld.
As a result from long-term service, however, repairs may become likely at present.

Achieving creep resistance through mainly V-carbide precipitation, heat treatment in general may be assessed fundamental; e.g. when replacing a piece of pipe within some existent operating system. That is, when to achieve homogeneous carbide distribution between replaced parent- weld- and existent parent material. The former; i.e. the genuine parent metal is certainly unpredictable in this respect, even due to its long-term use. Hence, PWHT is crucial, since the whole joint carbide precipitation has to match for providing similar behaviour.

Literature states PWHT temperatures of ~ 700°C recommended for such cases.

For any other 690°C ≤ t ≤ 720°C is known to me being employed.
The lower limit has to be considered resulting in somewhat limited toughness. In general A_c_1 should not be exceeded since leading to long-term creep resistance degradation.
Using baked basic coated consumables low hydrogen annealing is – usually – not required.

Anyway, repair welding of this parent metal and achieving guarenteed long-term creep resistance values may remain a truly intricate task at all.

Maybe this can prove helpful:
http://ommi.co.uk/PDF/Articles/62.pdf

EDIT:
Perhaps this can help as well: http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/submitted/etd-05042005-134949/unrestricted/00dissertation.pdf
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 05-25-2013 02:47
Hi sciroccos1111

When you mention "hydrogenation", I am assuming that you are referring to hydrogen bake-out. (Also called de-gassing.) Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hydrogen bake-out is typically done under the following conditions:

1) The service conditions of a component, that needs repair, has introduced hydrogen into the metal. - The hydrogen bake-out operation under these circumstances would be done before starting any repair welding.
2) The welding operation itself has introduced hydrogen into the weld metal and adjacent HAZ. - The hydrogen bake-out operation under this case would be done after welding, but before allowing the welded area to cool down to ambient temperatures.

As you can see, in neither of these cases would it make sense to perform the hydrogen bake-out just before PWHT, after the component has cooled to ambient temperatures, as the PWHT operation itself would act as a hydrogen bake-out.

These materials are typically welded as follows:

1) Apply pre-heat.
2) Weld, always maintaining pre-heat.
3) Allow to cool to a temperature low enough to allow the martensite transformation to complete, but not low enough to allow hydrogen cracking to take place. (Typically 150degC.)
4) Perform PWHT without allowing temperature to go down to ambient.

I hope that helps.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By sciroccos1111 (*) Date 05-26-2013 19:58
Hi Niekie,

thank you for the reply and i totally agree with you. But i think the bake out temperature must be at least the temperature of preheating. The time differs from one material to an other.
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 05-27-2013 04:36
Hi

Generally the out-gassing treatment will be at a higher temperature than the pre-heat, but this has to do with the typical pre-heat temperatures for welding most materials being lower than required to get the hydrogen out in a reasonable period of time. In this regard it is important to note that both the time and temperature need to be considdered, as well as the anticipated level of hydrogen in the material and the material thickness. The higher the temperature, the shorter the time required to get the same % of hydrogen out. The thicker the material, the longer to get the same % of hydrogen out. The higher the hydrogen loading, the greater the % of hydrogen that needs to be removed. The major reason that there will be differences in time between different materials, is that different materials can tolerate different levels of hydrogen before cracking. Materials that result in very high hardnesses, can tolerate only low levels of hydrogen without cracking, so will need longer times at a specific temperature to remove a higher % of the hydrogen. (Normally measured by carbon equivalent.) There are texts / standards that supply hydrogen removal curves that help to select the relevant time at temperature to remove the required % of hydrogen.

Hope this all makes sense.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / PWHT & dehydrogenation