Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / pipe weave cover pass
- - By AWSQCJR Date 05-21-2013 22:40
Please I need help to find info in the code AWS or ASME about the weave bead in pipe cover pass
Thank you
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 05-22-2013 01:21
Your WPS should give you all the info you need.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-22-2013 03:51
Well, it may help if you could give us more info. 

AWS only deals with pipe from a structural standpoint.  ASME deals with pipe from a pressure piping view.  And then there is API 1104 dealing with pipelines. 

Once we get that narrowed down, what is it you want to know about the weave bead?  Width?  Crown height? ??

And as already mentioned, your WPS should be giving you all the info you need about all the passes involved.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By AWSQCJR Date 05-23-2013 16:29
first let me say thank you to all of you for your help
my welding process is smaw the filler metal is 7018. I have in my WPS that my string or my weave to be 3 times diameter maximum
I was a welder for many years welding pipe and we welded the cover pass 3/4 or more and I just like to find in the code ASME that is OK
The filler rod we are using is 1/8 so the cover pass should be 3/8
Thank you and have a nice day
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-23-2013 17:54
You are bound to the limits imposed by your WPS.  Especially if it was submitted and customer/engineer approved as is. 

Now, that doesn't mean that the code sets that limit.  I don't regularly work to ASME and am a little too rushed currently to look it up so hopefully Al or one of the other guys will cover the ASME aspect.

The only way beyond possible code restrictions, which I doubt, is if it is limited because of the notch toughness as Al already mentioned.  Depending upon the CVN rating your heat input could be of concern.  And, one obvious factor of that is your bead width which affects travel speed which increases/decreases your heat input. 

The WPS may have been written to cover many differing scenarios.  Just as I often include a maximum Pre-heat/Inter-pass temp of 500-550° so I am covered on Seismic jobs as well as standard D1.1 jobs, they may have restricted the bead width/travel speed to reduce heat input on a large variety of the work that the WPS would be submitted for. 

No one will question a WPS with heat input controls, but you may often get questions about a WPS without any. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-22-2013 15:13
In addition to the code, it would useful to tell us the welding process being used.

In general, most codes are not going to address the width of the weld bead.

The width of the weld bead is usually a function of travel speed. Travel speed is an important consideration when notch toughness is a concern. When CVN is specified, heat input influences the cooling rate, thus the grain size. The grain size influences the notch toughness. Controlling travel speed is often used to limit heat input, thus grain size. The limits of heat input is established when the WPS is qualified and notch toughness is imposed by the code or Owner.

If toughness is not a concern, the width of the weld bead is not usually an issue.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 05-28-2013 00:41
Al,
It looks like you missed in your first sentence, as the Op did mention 7018. = SMAW
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-28-2013 00:49
Looks more like you missed the time stamps indicating that Al posted 25 hours ahead of the OP's second post which finally indicated the process and electrode.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 05-28-2013 00:51
Brent, you got me by 1 minute.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-28-2013 02:03
Memorial Day in the Afternoon, you must have been snoozing.  LOL!

Actually, probably evening where you are?

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 05-28-2013 00:50
Al's reply is dated and timed before the OP's response.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-28-2013 03:14
I guess he missed the first line of the header.

Oops, missed by that much.

Al
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 05-29-2013 09:12
oops
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-29-2013 14:12
It's all good Martin.

We've all missed something from time to time.  Was just us poking some fun at you for your oversight.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / pipe weave cover pass