Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API Prep Courses
- - By swsweld (****) Date 05-23-2013 19:18 Edited 05-23-2013 19:22
Besides Code West and MSTS can anyone recommend a reputable prep course facility for API 570 hopefully for the Sept. 25th exam date?

The above mentioned either do not have a prep course for this test date or they are full.

I see Lockhart in Baton Rogue and Bay Tech. in PA but haven't heard anyone refer to these in the past so...

Someone mentioned a good prep course facility in AL. or MS but I think it was for AWS-CWI and I'm not sure if they offered API. Don't remember the name and it didn't come up in my Google search.

I prefer to start with 570. CW has a 510 prep for Sept 25 but it's 10.5 days and I can't alot that amount of time for the class.
Also, proximity to NC is important but I understand that most will be in TX, LA and OK.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-24-2013 22:08
Call mark smith don't just depend on his web site. He may be able to fit you in. If you have sufficient experience in process piping or in service pipe inspection you should be able to get the test package from Tech$treet and you have enough time to study the material on your own. You need to understand B31.3 "P" numbers and their relation ship to welding and welding procedures. You will need a good understanding of Section IX and its relationship to B31.3. Also you will need to be able to calculate remaining life in a piping system and establish the corrosion rate and next inspection interval. Welding is only maybe 20% of the test.
If you have plenty of experience in inspection Code West would be the one I went for if I could get in. Mark Smith will make you a better inspector, but he does not so much teach the test like Code West.
If you look at the 10.5 days as being too long, you are looking at up to a $50K increase in your income. That figures about $10K a day. You are investing in yourself. I would look to see if I could do the 10.5 days if this is what you want to do. A 570 and your CWI would be a decent income ticket.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 05-25-2013 15:41
Thanks dbigkahunna,
True,
MS must have cancellations and a stand by list. I was well into my 570 studies 1 year ago but changing employers in Afghanistan and subsequent R&R dates derailed my plans for the test last year. Plan B fell through when my daughter changed her wedding date so I had to sync my R&R date with her wedding instead of the API test dates...wish they were more frequent.

The good thing about CW is that their prep courses end the day before the exam. MS could be weeks before the exam. In my current situation CW would actually work better but they don't have a 570 course for Sept??? only 510. I could do 510 first but I feel better suited for 570. I'm kind of leaning towards pipeline inspections since I have more experience in pipe as a craftsman and CWI. I'm guessing outside of refineries there are more opportunities for 570 but I could be wrong.

In October 2014 fracking will begin where I live in NC and I need 570 and/or 510 to insure that I'm easily employable in my back yard.

You are right, the investment will be well worth it whether I continue to travel or stay home when NG drilling/extraction comes to NC.

Marks only 570 class is August 19-24 with the test date 9/25...not good if I'm still in Af. but they do test in Kuwait, Qatar and Abu Dhabi or I could wait till Dec 4 test date as CW & MS have prep courses for 570. I would not want to risk my test in the mentioned countries though...language, unforeseen distractions etc. could be the difference in passing or failing. I'd feel much more comfortable in TX, GA, OK, LA.

Thank you for the helpful insight.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-26-2013 17:39
With your background I think any prep class you take would work. They get you ready for how the questions are phrased using API speak. Of the three test, the 570 is the less complex to pass. There is less corrosion variables in pipe. All you have to calculate is MAWOP, corrosion rates and next inspection intervals. I really believe if you begin reading and studying the materials you could pass the test without a prep class. There are a lot of study aids available on the internet now you can use that will let you know how API speak looks. If you cannot fit the prep class into your schedule, study your butt off and take the test anyway. You have a decent chance of passing it with your background so do not let the lack of a prep class keep you from taking the test. If by chance you do not pass on your first try, you will know what areas you are weak in and where to study for the next test. The pass/fail rates for first time candidates stays in the 50/50 range so do not beat yourself up if you do fall short.
With your background, you are going to be in demand regardless if you pass it on your first or second try.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 05-26-2013 18:12
I was thinking the same thing about 570 being the easiest, then 510 then 653. I was considering buying MS's prep material and studying until the test date in Sept. then I could even take the test in Kuwait, Qatar or Dubai if I bypassed the prep course. If I remain in Af. for the rest of this year, returning to the US will jeopardize the 330 days outside of CONUS tax break...not the end of the world but it is a huge perk of being over here. With the drawdown here and the light workload it would be easy to self study enough to pass the test without the course...just feel like I'm missing out on elite teaching.

Worst case scenario would be to fail it in Sept but then retake it in Dec. Taking 570 first is my best option. Once (if) I get that, the 510 will be much easier due to the familiarity with API philosophy and verbiage. (I'm kind of studying both right now but will drop 510 soon)  

I'm targeting Pipeline inspection first, then we'll see. I've had a few opportunities just with the CWI but they needed me yesterday and I can't get back that fast. I can only imagine the opportunities and earnings will increase considerably with 570/510 within the O&G industry.
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-27-2013 03:57
I tried the 510 route. I don't like plants or refinery's. Like being out in the open. Was inspecting a demeth at a gas plant. Once you started up, you had to go out the top. The tray prep crew was two or three tray sets above me and my helper. Felt wet on my head. Two guesses what they did. By the time me and my helper got out to top they had hit the bottom and was in the truck heading out the gate. Got back to the office and cleaned out their lockers. Told the boss to run them off. They sent them back to Houston. Never saw either of them again. Reassessed my desire to be a 510. Never had that happen on a tank or in the racks.
Let my 570 go this cycle. Getting too old to climb in the racks. Let someone else have all the fun. Hair is getting too gray and thin to worry about keeping it. Tanks keep me busy enough and all I need is 5 more years and you young bucks can have it.
Get the info and take the test. You will be fine. Will need to study your butt off. Need any help or run into a issue, let me know.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 05-30-2013 17:25
I haven't been called a 'young buck' in a decade or two haha. Thanks.

I don't blame you, just extra money to keep them (510/570) if you will never use/need them again.
Most of my vessel fun has been in nukes and boilers, different product, same scenario. I hope you at least got the courtesy "Head ache" warning from the TP crew. Not a big fan of large sites anymore either, too many people and too many wanna bees. I'm taking an indefinite leave from my partnership contracting company but we did lot's of underground pipe, mostly HW, CHW, condensate and steam but lot's of gas pipe too. I'd pick pipelines any day, just need to get back and get on a line or two.

The deadline to apply for the 9/25 test is 6/10. Was wondering if you have to specify which test location you will take the API test at when applying or can you determine that at a later date? I don't know where I'll be in late September. Thanks for the help and advise.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-30-2013 18:34
You have to specify. I think you can change it but you have to give API its tribute for the change.
Parent - By ede Date 05-31-2013 20:01
I did my 635 with Bay Technical in Wilmington, DE. and my 510 with Code West in Houston. My choice would be Code West to do again but nothing worng with Bay. Course is a little shorter and a few days off before exam.  My class at Bay had 7 people in it, my class at Code West had 50 for whatever that's worth. I'm taking the 570 in September without a course.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API Prep Courses