Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Corner/T joints groove weld qualification
- - By allenliao (*) Date 05-25-2013 08:15
Hi My friends,

When using butt joint groove weld to qualify corner or T-joint groove weld, there is a limitation to the "groove configuration" of Test specimen, as per D1.1 2010 Pro. 4.10.1.1.

My questions regarding the "groove configuration" are following:

1) Why does D1.1 have to stipulate it like this, comparing to other welding qulification standards/codes?

2) How does "groove configuration" look like?

Thanks for sharing of your knowledge and experience.

Allen
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 05-27-2013 06:38
Hi

The exact intention of this paragraph (4.10.1.1) has been debated on this forum before. Do a search to see some more opinions and interpretations. My interpretation is that 4.10.1.1 is included to give guidance on how to qualify corner or T-joints, same as there is guidance given on how to qualify fillet welds. In short, the requirement here is to qualify corner and T-joints using butt joints. (So that you can get the relevant test samples out. - Bends, tensiles etc.) You then need to use the same groove configuration on the test coupon. So, for example, if you are using a double bevel groove for your T-joint, then perform your butt test coupon with this configuration also.

This needs to be read in conjuction with Table 4.5, which gives ranges qualified for further requirements. (Especially look at variables 31 - 34)

Hope this helps.

Regards
Niekie
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Corner/T joints groove weld qualification