Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Weld test?
- - By C21impulse Date 05-25-2013 15:26
What's alot of common weld tests, just to play with and practice
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-25-2013 15:34
That's a pretty wide open question.

Why don't you try giving us a little more info?

Do you want to practice pipe or plate?  Do you want to use stick or wire?  What process?  Any particular code?  And if you don't know anything about the various codes that may apply, at least an idea of the type of work? 

Have you gone through a trade school?  Work training?

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By C21impulse Date 05-25-2013 16:07
Im currently in school, but I'm not new to welding I've been around it since I was a kid, and Im pretty good with mig/flux core, decent with stick. But the question is for stick, pipe and plate. I wanna be able to do both and have a range of skill for any job, basically I wanna be valuable to anyone.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-04-2013 01:21
There are various codes that indicate what test configurations qualify welders for specific welds. Because of the variation in codes and materials there can be quite a few. For most manual and semi automatic processes, the common tests involve a single vee groove configuration in plate or pipe. In some cases these MUST meet certain dimensions. In other cases the dimensions can vary.

Single Vee Grooves on plate are often done on backing with 3/8" and thicker material. Normally a 45 degree included angle with a 3/16" to 1/4" root opening. This is a common test.

Pipe Tests are sometimes done on backing rings but most often in the industries I have worked in, they are done with an open root configuration with SMAW or GTAW used for the root pass.

The tests can all vary in position, thickness, diameter and even fitup if a company so desires and if it is within their quality requirements. I have seen companies hire welders with a single fillet weld placed in the corner of a piece of angle iron. Not right in my opinion, but its their company.

There is an illustration of an AWS D1.1 6GR test at http://weldingdata.com/6grSample.htm

Have a good day

Gerald Austin
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Weld test?